Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:20 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

Re: Beaucoup Fish - 4 CD Remastered Deluxe Box Set (8/25/2017)
Looking forward to this. Fully remastered singles, album, and a bunch of early versions? Yes, please!

I wonder about a remastered EE. Part of what makes EE what it is is how dang LOUD the whole thing is. Really makes it feel like you are front and center (to steal from the back of the box). I can't imagine that this would give much space in the mix, really, for remastering. A higher dynamic range that would reveal more details is gonna lower the average volume and negatively impact the feel of it. I also can't imagine the source material is THAT much better than the bootlegs we got of say, Fuji 99, but that Rick was able to work some serious magic (and I understand it took him a few tries to get it right) to give it that live feel. Has mastering progressed THAT much since 2000 to pull more info out of mediocre sources?

That said, I'd love a reissued boxset for additional live material and another 60 page booklet about the live shows and the road leading up to EE. Maybe discuss if the Euro Club Gig really was supposed to be a live release? Talk about experimenting with the fairly new 5.1 masterings? This is a super longshot, but I'd love to also read a retrospective about Emerson's departure. It happened during the runup to EE, if I'm not mistaken, and both he and the band are on good terms now. It would certainly make for an interesting recap of a potentially major moment.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:05 AM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

Am I remembering correctly that Darren, Rick and Karl were each working on their own demos and bringing them to the Beaucoup Fish sections? If that's accurate, it'd be great to hear Darren's demos. Of course I'm still holding on to the slim chance that something from Underworld / U2 is included.

I bet a remastered 'Please Help Me' is going to sound great. Also happy to see the remixes will be remastered, too.

I'm looking forward to this release since it was my first day one Underworld purchase. And this was the first tour I got to see the band live.

-Jason
Old 08-07-2017, 07:50 AM
Resolute
Heal yourself,

something else i've remembered, the very last second of skym has karl singing "do you" and then it cuts. do you think they'll remove that? extend the song's fadeout slightly?
Old 08-08-2017, 06:28 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingInABook View Post
i was discussing this with Alice in twitter the other day and I think the other tracks (esp. the web tracks) are not in this comp because those might be lost or because they wanted to commit the highest quality sounding tracks to remaster. blue mountain jam? that thing sounds like a realmedia track. if you don't have a high quality recording of that, why bother?
I think the assumption is that UW have recordings or demos sitting in the archive somewhere. Given UW's working methods and their reputation for constant in-studio jamming, I think it's reasonable to assume there's stuff sitting around that we haven't heard yet. Plus I believe R&K have implied a number of times that there's a lot of stuff behind the curtain. Of course none of us know exactly how true that is - I remember being disappointed with the second disc of Barking since I kinda assumed there were more-or-less 'complete' versions of the originals floating around, and it turns out there probably wasn't.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:57 AM
purlieu
enofa

To be fair, with the Barking disc, they are described as pieces in various states of completion. I'm sure there are more 'complete' versions in their archives, but I think they wanted to share it as a snapshot of various different works in progress rather than simply 'Barking without the guest producers'.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:12 PM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

There's definitely mixed feelings running rampant on this release. Do I have most if not all of the remixes being released? Yes, but I will still be purchasing this physical release since I already have the dubno and STITI super deluxe versions...

I am happy to see the KoS Italian remixes on this release and as stated by BSS, hopefully these will have been given a proper remaster.

BF was indeed released in an era of the remix and having their tracks remixed likely equaled to the amount of remixes UW did themselves of either their own tracks or other artists tracks. And although I have most if not all of these, it will be nice to have remastered versions. Some of the remixes of the era did have bad fades, so hopefully some of this will be corrected.

I have mixed feelings about this release, but the truth of the matter is, not everyone can be pleased with a remaster and to get 4CD's in a box set is much better than no remaster at all.

As for 5 points (likely one of the most talked about tracks on this forum - not officially titled), I thought this was played out live during the AHDO era? Anyone know when this track was first being played? I think I have 2 live shows, but that was during the AHDO tour... the one I missed. I could have seen them here at the Mayan in Downtown Los Angeles!!! I'm feeling anger now...

Cheers!
Old 08-09-2017, 01:06 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

No, there are 3 known instances of Five Points, from 1998-1999, so the song is of this era. I'd link you the Gigography entries, but it's broken at the moment.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:08 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultradave View Post

As for 5 points (likely one of the most talked about tracks on this forum - not officially titled), I thought this was played out live during the AHDO era? Anyone know when this track was first being played? I think I have 2 live shows, but that was during the AHDO tour... the one I missed. I could have seen them here at the Mayan in Downtown Los Angeles!!! I'm feeling anger now...

Cheers!
It was played twice, and only during the early 'Beaucoup Fish Tour' as far as I'm aware:

Hugo D Night in Rotterdam on 10-31-1998

and then at the Mayan Theater, also in '98

...although... there is a slim chance that it could be featured on AHDO... As, the last time I played my bootleg copy (Hugo D Night) - she was convinced it had the same melody as "Two Months Off" - just played at a different tempo
Old 08-09-2017, 01:43 PM
funkboy3
Just this guy

So, has anyone heard if there is going to be a non-physical release of this at all? I've nosed a bit and found nothing.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:21 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkboy3 View Post
So, has anyone heard if there is going to be a non-physical release of this at all? I've nosed a bit and found nothing.
It will be available digitally through all the usual digital music retailers, just like the previous remasters.