Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 05-27-2022, 01:38 AM
iamneorev
pants

Re: Juanita drop, 27/5
UPDATE
I tried PMing Underworld on Instagram asking about pricing and showing some examples. They responded and said that those digital prices are definitely not right and are looking into it to fix. They escalated it on their side and hope to fix it soon. They were surprisingly quick to respond. I was like, "Hey I'm not trying to be a d--k, but..." lol

Something like this happened with The Chemical Brothers and sadly was never fixed. They reissued a bunch of their singles/ EPs digital a couple of years. The prices were all over the place. A 3 track EP was 8 pounds, a 7 track EP was 14 pounds.

I noticed that Juanita 2022 is attached to UMC aka Universal Music and so were those Chemical Brother EP reissues. It seems UMC have some screwed up pricing practices.

Dark & Long 3 was also priced high on Qobuz. 8 pounds for the 3 track release in lossless, 14 pounds for individual tracks off it.

Last edited by iamneorev; 05-27-2022 at 01:53 AM.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:55 AM
Jon S
river

Does the tracklisting on the back of the sweatshirt suggest that gig is getting a download release?
I haven't bought anything this time round... hate missing out but there's only so many Underworld hoodies/sweats a guy can have...
Old 05-27-2022, 02:02 AM
thee carp dreamer
done up like a kipper

The 2022 version is very interesting. It has crowd noise but doesn't sound entirely like the version played in 2017 when I saw them at Alexandra Palace.

So I think it's a remix of the Everything Everything version with new vocals recorded for it.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:07 AM
thee carp dreamer
done up like a kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Does the tracklisting on the back of the sweatshirt suggest that gig is getting a download release?
I haven't bought anything this time round... hate missing out but there's only so many Underworld hoodies/sweats a guy can have...
Well it should get released properly. Imagine a lovely vinyl boxset. Oh yes oh yes!
Is Juanita 2022 similar to Juanita live in Tokyo 2005?
Old 05-27-2022, 02:08 AM
melontang
river

Quote:
If it does get a digital release, of course it would be not long after I buy the CD on discogs to get my own high quality audio :/

I bought quite a bit this time. I'll make space
Old 05-27-2022, 02:55 AM
purlieu
enofa

I really don't understand them having a Bandcamp and then not using it for all these recent drops. It'd be great to have the whole collection there in one place.

Really enjoying this new version, anyway. A really nice development of the piece that still retains a lot of the original's magic.

edit: just got an email from their Bandcamp page... with a link to the official site. Baffling.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:58 AM
Lx_Nen
Romford no more

It's not just the download prices that are high, 25 quid for 12" is pretty much twice what most people charge.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:00 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx_Nen View Post
It's not just the download prices that are high, 25 quid for 12" is pretty much twice what most people charge.
Let me tell you about the postage charges to the U.S....
Old 05-27-2022, 03:13 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamneorev View Post
I noticed that Juanita 2022 is attached to UMC aka Universal Music and so were those Chemical Brother EP reissues. It seems UMC have some screwed up pricing practices.
As I understand it, you're right, UMC is responsible for all the digital distribution, including the pricing. I am not hopeful that it will be adjusted. The previous drops also had wonky digital pricing, and those were never changed.

On the bright side, U.S. retailers always had regular pricing for those drops ($1 for lossy tracks, $2 for lossless tracks). On the downside, Juanita 2022 seems to have not been released in the U.S. I hope that's just an oversight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlieu View Post
I really don't understand them having a Bandcamp and then not using it for all these recent drops. It'd be great to have the whole collection there in one place.
So, I was told that UW needed to renegotiate their distribution agreement with UMG in order to be able to post their own digital releases through Bandcamp. I haven't asked about it, but given that they haven't used Bandcamp in over 2 years I'd say that probably means that they weren't able to do that.

Quote:
I don't think so. They seem to be doing a retrospective riff on the Live in Tokyo release in the run-up to the Japan gigs in July. The promos for those gigs had the same aesthetic.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:22 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by thee carp dreamer View Post
The 2022 version is very interesting. It has crowd noise but doesn't sound entirely like the version played in 2017 when I saw them at Alexandra Palace
Found this really weird. I kept thinking I?d found the live version of the track. Very rarely am I?m underwhelmed - but this time sadly I am. It just felt really strange to have a half live version; totally distracting.