Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2008, 10:06 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Re: New Japan only CD/DVD set coming soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
that's not true. the version of Peach Tree on the Boy Boy Boy single is different to the version on the Croc 12? and RRP. i forget where else it is but this version is slightly different.
That's it for the studio versions. Croc and RRP versions are the same. BBB version is unique.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:28 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

I could easily agree with you, -1, on the AHDO sentiment. But OWB is an amazing album with some really great moments that rank up there with STiTI and Dubno. It's at this moment you lose me, and I suspect a great number of dirts, in your cruscade to point out what you think is bad with all the current creations.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:15 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

i kinda agree with -1 on moodier days... when i dont feel that we should be grateful that underworld are still making good albums when we should be wondering why theyre not making great albums. their experimentation with riverrun and jam books doesnt carry over on proper album releases, and i wonder if it's that old veteran professionalism that has rigid beliefs about what an album means or if it's just plain cowardice. they've shown that they still have a wide range of modes and abilities with the internet albums that no one but us would pay attention to, so why pull out and get cinematic (and rather irrelevant to the rest of electronic music) and hyper-polished when it's supposed to be the world listening? their print output is also the richest and most accomplished of their career (even if i miss that rawness and deceptive disconnect that's actually inextricable from their music), it seems odd that its translation into the music seems diluted, or at least strained in relationship.

you might think i'd hate OWB but i dont. it's a beautiful album with wonderfully weird flaws that i keep coming back to, but i'm starting to learn finally that my favorite artists from 10 years ago arent beating the odds. their approach doesnt get better with time just by changing things up. the more advanced in years they get the more of a struggle it is for them to produce the down-to-the-marrow-excitement that made me shake and explode. granted, their longevity is unparralled compared to others, and maybe after 10 straight years it's not fair to expect more dimensions and surprises that i've already been given by them, but i'm feeling a big disconnect that doesnt make sense between the effort they put in their work and the overall quality of the output.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:39 PM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

But it must suck to realise you can release everything you've ever done on a torrent that could be downloaded in a couple of hours on broadband. Or that you can play whatever you want on a webcast. I think this would make deciding what to put on an album very difficult.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by big screen satellite View Post
the remixes may not be everyone's cup of tea, but this is the 2000's not the 90's and remixers, and club sounds have moved on. Steve Hall has picked a good choice of 'up and coming' and different remixers for this set and well they work (in parts).
You make a lot of good points, but this is not one of them.

I'm fine with music progressing as time passes, but I personally feel that the progression should be in a positive direction. Quite frankly, the recent remixes of Underworld material strike me as lazily executed with little to no inspiration or innovation. That's not me wishing it was the nineties...that's me wishing I was hearing something even better than what's been done before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big screen satellite View Post
I'm not going to say i like all the remixes, but play them loud and in a club and they rock.... how many of you people get out and hear these remixers in clubs? I'm really begining to enjoy all of the Ring Road mixes now... they are MY cup of tea...
They may be effective in a loud club, but a huge part of what always drew me to Underworld and the bulk of the remixes done of their work is that it lent itself to club play as well as pure listening pleasure. To eliminate the pure listening pleasure aspect of it all eliminates what made Underworld stand apart in my opinion.

That being said, for me, Underworld's recent original output still maintains all of the goodness I've always loved. But the remixes suck butt.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:26 AM
jose m
pants

lets put that down to the remixers shall we? remixes are generally promotional tools aimed at people that are going out dancing in clubs today.

re "getting that feeling that i first had when i heard underworld".... i feel the same about bob dylan,david bowie,detroit techno,thai food,cars,fashion.i don't mean this as a dig at anyone but its part of growing up/getting old.some people manage to maintain a "as fresh as the first time" outlook on life but its not the norm.we all have our "golden years" and for some people out there owb has been released during them and will be the best underworld album ever.christ i know people that love "tin machine" and who am i to tell them its shit.
enjoy the music,if you don't, listen to something else.i'm sure that rick and karl enjoy what they are doing and thats why they do it, they're not looking to remake "rez" or compete with ed banger so why expect them to? if they're musical journey isn't going down the path you like then don't follow and just remember the "goodtimes".surely thats better than getting bitter and twisted about it and turning here into a place of negitivity and disappointment.
thousands and thousands of people will be seeing underworld play live over the next weekend,singing along,reliving the past,enjoying the present,having a great time with no thought to any of this.i'm sure thats what rick and karl dreamt of when starting underworld not just keeping us hardcore nerds happy.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:59 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose m View Post
...not just keeping us hardcore nerds happy.
speak for yourself
Old 07-03-2008, 04:18 AM
jose m
pants

i mean it in the nicest possible way
Old 07-03-2008, 04:35 AM
kontakt1968
mouseman

HI
cant find any trace of the bells the bells on the uw site does anyone know if itll be released there or is it hmv import for those of us in the u.k?
Old 07-03-2008, 05:47 AM
mondokat
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontakt1968 View Post
HI
cant find any trace of the bells the bells on the uw site does anyone know if itll be released there or is it hmv import for those of us in the u.k?
I keep looking for something new in the digital store and being disappointed. Us U.S.A. folks are really over a barrel here...