Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
i never listened to bongos again.
Those bongos are so hot right now.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:46 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Re: Red Bull Advert?
"so hot right now" is so weak sauce right now.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:02 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Underworld Gives You Wings
Old 03-27-2008, 08:16 AM
cacophony
disquietude

this is my new favorite thread.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Spooky Shoes
Sole Man

I recently saw the ad again, it was of an Australian theme, whist enduring the advert I realised that what I heard was probably the sample that has been mentioned in this thread rather than the track.

/me picks up guitar and plays an E chord in a slightly deflated windmill fashion.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:01 PM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

what bewildered me were the comparisons to dubno when OWB came out... with indie magazines proclaiming it as 'the best since dubno' or 'their most concerted effort since the early 90s'. this was probably because dubno and OWB both have black and white covers that don't represent anything in particular. to me, there is no comparison. stylistically, they are almost completely different genres-

dubno has themes that repeat all through it- wind, thunder, someone walking around a yard, all outdoor noises, are picked and used throughout the entire album to create a mood- not as samples, but to add to the organic nature of the entire album. two of the songs, 'dirty epic' and 'mmm skyscraper' are, as the former's name states, epic tracks.

they build up, not shallowly in tempo or 'noise level' as many mainstream techno songs do, but in emotion, to where at the very end they are so sopping with real emotion that you forget you're listening to what many people throw in the same genre as Paul Oakenfold, only to develop into the next song- that's one reason dirty epic and cowgirl fit so well together- the sadness and desperation of 'dirty epic' develops into the calloused indifference of 'cowgirl'- (i know a lot of you might just see cowgirl as a funky dance tune, but i think the robotic style voice is more than a neat sounding vocal effect).

another thing that dubno maintains is a same general statement throughout; not a statement necessarily found in the lyrics, but in the overall tone of the music; the songs aren't only masterpieces in themselves, but they fit together to form a cohesive piece of music.

and owb just doesn't live up to it. that's why i think dubnobasswithmyheadman is one of the greatest albums of all time, and owb is just a record of a good band that's evolving.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Spooky Shoes
Sole Man

/me backs away strumming a slightly muted uHm.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:20 PM
ceramic'cow
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
i heard this guitar player once played an acoustic guitar and some of the cords sounded the same as when this other guy was playing on an acoustic guitar. but then, you know what's fucked up? i also heard this white guy in a drum circle playing on a bongo. then, i totally saw this caribbean dood playing a bongo that didn't even look like the white guys but they sounded the same!

i never listened to bongos again.
fucking racist