Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:12 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Re: Drift Ep. 4, Part 3 - Hundred Weight Hammer
For me, the video and the music really complement each other. The weirdness of the two works together to create something that's more compelling to me than either alone.

For most of the other Drift videos, I feel like either the music or the video can stand alone. Low Between Zebras is the other one that I think is complemented fully by the video.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:21 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
That's a fine perspective. Fair enough.

For me, this is the worst track from Drift, beating out Molehill as most left field/pointless. I can't shake the feeling I heard this before on a Soul Coughing record in the 90's. So I relistened to all of the SC albums and... They did the lofi jazz/beat much better.

As for Molehill, I've been holding back, but here goes... My favorite band of all time is Genesis, specifically their 1971-1981 output. Molehill is worse than their early b-sides. interpret that as you may. Proggy, but out of context.

Last edited by holden; 07-10-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:13 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Molehill is worse than their early b-sides. interpret that as you may. Proggy, but out of context.
Sounds like a lot of Molehill hate has come out of the woodwork the past couple days. Unfortunately, I have to agree, easily the worst Drift track for me. When it comes on, I have this almost irrational, visceral hatred well up inside me. It's weird. I don't think any other UW track elicits that kind of response in me.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:01 AM
taotsu
taotsu

I still don’t get it. Standalone it does not much for me, but in context of the release I like it. It works well for me as a weird little brother of Treat of Rain. Nothing has yet reached the level of Barking. Not even close as terrible. I still can only listen to the 2nd disk of barking.
This is not all good, but nothing is worse then Bronze here
Old 07-12-2019, 04:08 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Sounds like a lot of Molehill hate has come out of the woodwork the past couple days. Unfortunately, I have to agree, easily the worst Drift track for me. When it comes on, I have this almost irrational, visceral hatred well up inside me. It's weird. I don't think any other UW track elicits that kind of response in me.
I think itÂ’s recently cropping up on my end because thereÂ’s not much point being a poopypants about things, but now that some time has passed we can be adults and have a sitdown with what a non-starter this track is
By all means take the turns less taken, but for godÂ’s sake recognize your limits and donÂ’t abandon your strengths by doing things completely left handed either. Some people here have given me a clue on how this can be appreciated, but I canÂ’t understand how they can talk about having last minute sessions because the original planned track wasnÂ’t good enough, but then come out with something like this.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:40 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

I am rather fond of HWH. It works for me well enough that I'm looking forward to it through the beginning of the EP. Molehill bothered me from the outset and it hasn't gotten any better. The entirety of Karl's humming feels like it should be the rising final 3 seconds of a song, but it never goes anywhere else or departs from anywhere to get to that point. Every moment that I feel it has finally reached its crescendo it keeps going.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:10 AM
bazwint
mouseman

I love HWH. That bass is killer. The video is perfect for the track. And I love the image of Bram Stoker paddling in the sea. At Whitby.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:22 AM
taotsu
taotsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazwint View Post
I love HWH. That bass is killer. The video is perfect for the track. And I love the image of Bram Stoker paddling in the sea. At Whitby.
yup, yup, 100%, right there with you!

I never skip that track!