Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

  Dirty Forums > underworld.

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-22-2009, 06:34 PM
sandston
river
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12
Re: Hope these new songs don't go on RiverRuns
Perhaps I am a bit out of line here but aren't Prodigy, Massive attack and Roykksop signed to labels if not major labels. I think the current consensus here is that AHDO fell short in a way. The tour associated with the album saw a lot less improv as well. I think the boys have responded to this as a product of Label pressure on both accounts and I for one believe them. This is the reason they branched out on their own, read independant. This is the reason OB got little to no airplay vs their contemporaries such as Prodigy etc. I think if you look at their current live show and where the level of improv is getting to and you look at the new stuff coming out I think we are in for a whole new era of Underworld. Be carefull what you wish for because if they boys do get popular again we may never here anything but a string similar festival type sets consisting of the hits and and the new. I for one would love to see them open up their catalog. Even my friends who have only seen them three times are complaining about the similarity in the sets. But my friends thats another topic for another thread.
  #22  
Old 07-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Dunwho
Big Time
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 834
Re: Hope these new songs don't go on RiverRuns
Wow this spun out of control at an alarming pace...

All id say is that as a listener whether you realise it or not what will make you want to buy the music, is not a formula, its not a "sound" that a group like Underworld got famous on in the first place....
... and remember to use the examples of Prodigy's new album or Royksop's is a bad way to go about this.. if you are really going to talk about success you have to think how many people are going to KEEP buying an album for years and years... if i was to look at prodigy's new tunes in 3 years time id simply say "why buy that when i can buy Experience/Jilted Generation" - because everyone is simply saying "oh its a real return to form" because Prodigy (in my opinion) have taken no steps forward and simply made an album that sounds like the glory days...
...if underworld want "success" or new hoards of money they dont need to make an album like Beaucoup Fish, Dubno or Second Toughest - because it will simply be a flash in the pan before the media craze boils over and everyone thinks - "hmmm but this is like a bad Second Toughest"

In my opinion the only way any artist can really experience sustained success is to create an album which makes you say
"Fuck me ive never heard THAT before" - im sure all you have to do is think of the feeling you got the first time you heard Dubno - or the bass of Jumbo etc etc etc..

As we are all clearly very serious fans we are always going to really search for the brilliance in their new work.

I felt it in the first time i heard the Drums of You Do Scribble drop in and the synth rise gradually over the mayhem on the Palladium Recording from 2008 - that blew me away because it was like "who...what!?...fuuuuuuuck!" - i just didnt see it coming

But while i love the way strumpet sounds on the london recordings and Between Stars seems to have a similar sound - i am really wondering what they are going to do to these songs to make them really unique - if they can. Because while they are really good solid tunes - they are not going to be classics (not for me yet anyway)- the progressive bass lines and the chorus/verse/chorus construction of the vocals bring the music more into the realm of pop while the drum structure has devolved to something way simpler.. I think these songs have a long way to go before they really stand out...but i can see it happening. To me they just dont contain the multilayered dynamic aural stimulation that underworld bring to their finished products.

What i am saying is that all we have really heard of these new tunes are the bare bones - well at least i hope so... otherwise this is going to be a real new direction for underworld - and like many have said on the boards, it is starting to give a little more of the late eighties early nineties Underworld vibe, just as Dubno was coming along.
I think what it more reflects is the trends in pop music these days to be slightly more synthy and drum machine (La Roux for example)

Im rambling, and i have probably just fueled this fire like crazy....

I guess what i think would be great to hear is tunes like Between Stars and Strumpet with a treatment like what we have heard on "Moon on Water" where there seemed to be some real brilliance bubbling in the creative juices...

But anyway... if Underworld really want something to keep em going they need something that will sell for years rather than for months... and they wont do that by simply looking at what worked before for them and whats working now for others

they need to do something completely different

even if that means losing a few older fans on the way (but that shouldnt happen - because a good fan has an open mind)



I should really get some sleep
  #23  
Old 07-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Dunwho
Big Time
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 834
Re: Hope these new songs don't go on RiverRuns
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandston View Post
Perhaps I am a bit out of line here but aren't Prodigy, Massive attack and Roykksop signed to labels if not major labels. I think the current consensus here is that AHDO fell short in a way. The tour associated with the album saw a lot less improv as well. I think the boys have responded to this as a product of Label pressure on both accounts and I for one believe them. This is the reason they branched out on their own, read independant. This is the reason OB got little to no airplay vs their contemporaries such as Prodigy etc. I think if you look at their current live show and where the level of improv is getting to and you look at the new stuff coming out I think we are in for a whole new era of Underworld. Be carefull what you wish for because if they boys do get popular again we may never here anything but a string similar festival type sets consisting of the hits and and the new. I for one would love to see them open up their catalog. Even my friends who have only seen them three times are complaining about the similarity in the sets. But my friends thats another topic for another thread.
Also THAT is an excellent point.
  #24  
Old 07-22-2009, 06:39 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 4,463
Re: Hope these new songs don't go on RiverRuns
Not weighing in one way or another, but Prodigy is own their own label for this last album. I think they've gotten a fair amount of radio play with their singles (but I'm not sure; we have no radio in Hawaii).
  #25  
Old 07-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Dunwho
Big Time
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 834
Re: Hope these new songs don't go on RiverRuns
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Not weighing in one way or another, but Prodigy is own their own label for this last album. I think they've gotten a fair amount of radio play with their singles (but I'm not sure; we have no radio in Hawaii).
you have no radio in Hawaii!?!?!?!? isnt that dangerous?
  #26  
Old 07-22-2009, 07:23 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 4,463
Re: Hope these new songs don't go on RiverRuns
Haha, I'm being a bit facetious. We have no radio worth listening to.
  #27  
Old 07-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Mike
born013
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 756
Re: Hope these new songs don't go on RiverRuns
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Uh, what the heck? Ansum = ambient. Monkey Wink, pretty much electro, sans beats. Put a beat on top (i've done it) and it's a regular Moaner 2.
Nah, it was an on purpous typo, i was being flippent not litteral sorry
for the confusion
__________________
dirty.radio | Underworld Gigography
  #28  
Old 07-23-2009, 04:00 AM
stauff
thin paper wings
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 114
Send a message via ICQ to stauff
Re: Hope these new songs don't go on RiverRuns
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
I think Rick's happy with his own dog.
I thought he was dogless...
  #29  
Old 07-23-2009, 04:39 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mon Calimari
Posts: 3,214
Re: Hope these new songs don't go on RiverRuns
Underworld has done this before and will do it again, they have a whole catalogue of songs that they playout, test and repeat - very rarely will any appear on an album

yes i'd like some studio versions of these songs - perhaps via a similar limited 12" / download release like the river run remixes, but wishing every track that one of us has liked appears on the next album is pointless... we all like different styles and elements of tracks and some will make the cut and some won't

did Underworld not have, like 180 tracks or elements of tracks lined up before or around the release of OWB... UW has a lot of music in its back cat and archives - parts of it will still make it through to the album, but lets not try and sway (not that we could or will) the way Underworld work on their albums, after all they've made 7 fairly well themselves already, and if all is to be believed this next one is gonna be a cracker too...

keep up the good work, and don't listen to this lot... superfans are crazy mofo's

just as long as you do scribble is NOT on it i'll be happy
__________________
i will not be confused (with another FAN)
https://bigscreensatellite.borndirty.org
  #30  
Old 07-23-2009, 07:09 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 922
Re: Hope these new songs don't go on RiverRuns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunwho View Post


But while i love the way strumpet sounds on the london recordings and Between Stars seems to have a similar sound - i am really wondering what they are going to do to these songs to make them really unique - if they can. Because while they are really good solid tunes - they are not going to be classics (not for me yet anyway)- the progressive bass lines and the chorus/verse/chorus construction of the vocals bring the music more into the realm of pop while the drum structure has devolved to something way simpler..

I always thought of "Parc" as being a more 'traditionally'-structured song, as in it wouldn't be too weird to hear Depeche Mode or New Order or Thomas Dolby having done something like that. It was more New Wave and less 'UW-as-usual'. It's probably my favorite song they've done this decade. I don't have a problem at all with UW letting in pop influences. I think they are talented enough to figure out how to do it the right way.
Post Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.