Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:44 AM
mark3
pants

Drift Episode 2 "ATOM"
If DRIFT Episode 1: DUST was the spark and surge of a journey beginning, DRIFT Episode 2: ATOM explodes skywards before splitting off to explore multiple new paths.

Sleeve Notes are a new addition to DRIFT in this episode…
New link: https://underworldlive.com/sleeve-no...-sleeve-notes/
Other link: https://underworldlive.com/drift-old.../sleeve-notes/
Archived link: https://web.archive.org/web/20190308.../sleeve-notes/

Rick and Karl in conversation and a bunch of other stuff from the past 6 weeks drifting through Episode 2…

The ATOM journey begins with a minimalist, hypnotic small hours techno glide (Appleshine), heads out past the emerging shoots of a spring green pastoral England (Molehill); onwards and upwards with 15 minutes of deep and occasionally discomfiting analogue machine music (Threat of Rain), down the tarmac of Europe endless all through the night (Brussels); crossing continents to wake up at a prismatic electro-carnival in the heart of New Orleans (Soniamode) before finally stretching out into mesmerising 47 minute long head trip that returns to the beginning of the journey (Appleshine Continuum recorded with Australian trio The Necks). It is unpredictable and uncompromising. It’s uniquely Underworld.

The Drift experience is one of a torrent of ideas, with its own internal logic… (where) instinct, experience and chance lead to a strange kind of harmony.Mojo

Hugely ambitious and unimaginably relentless… each weekly release thematically bleeds into the next, creating a weaving storyline that threads through the whole. Watching and listening to this ever-evolving project feels like unpacking a Russian doll.Q

DRIFT, Episode 2 Recap
Drift, Ep 2, Pt 5: Soniamode - A voice chants with the innocent menace of a 50’s playground rhyme, carried along by the tumbling celebration of a brass band playing Glitch
Drift, Ep 2, Pt. 4: Brussels - almost impossibly beautiful music pulled together from what should be incongruous parts
Drift, Ep 2, Pt. 3: Threat of Rain - a murky locked techno groove
Drift, Ep 2, Pt. 2: Mole Hill - something of an unexpected gear change. A gleaming cascade of piano, guitar and wordless choral voices
Drift, Ep 2, Pt. 1: Appleshine - a minimalist, hypnotic small hours glide; a techno pulse wound tightly around a daydream vocal

-------------

Just a playlist atm ...

Still hoping for a continuous mix, this episode has been fantastic

Last edited by TheBang; 03-21-2021 at 02:30 PM. Reason: new links
Old 03-07-2019, 10:48 AM
purlieu
enofa

Re: Drift Episode 2, ATOM
Fairly extensive sleeve notes. Mid-way through at the minute, really lovely reading so far.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:56 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

So, they've added a new 1.5 minute coda to Molehill. And they trimmed off the opening seconds of Threat of Rain, going straight into the beats.

Otherwise, no differences on the other tracks between this and what was released before. No track mixing on this Drift release either.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:13 AM
saintrik
temperature drops

Interesting that DRIFT Episode 1 has been retitled DRIFT Episode 1 "DUST" on most music services.

These notes for Episode 2 are amazing. Makes me wish this kind of glimpse into their process was available for all of the releases!

Last edited by saintrik; 03-07-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:13 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Quote:
RICK
Yeah, Appleshine. One of the five or six jams that we recorded with the Necks. How did this start? You met the Necks quite a while ago now?

well then
Old 03-07-2019, 11:27 AM
darkvoice
mouseman

Is it me, but Soniamode sounds horrible and way louder than the other tracks?
Old 03-07-2019, 11:35 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

im pretty confused here. Assuming its not worth spending the $8US for this when we've already downloaded all the tracks for free, right?
Old 03-07-2019, 11:39 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvoice View Post
Is it me, but Soniamode sounds horrible and way louder than the other tracks?
No, you're right, something terrible has happened to the mastering on it. I hope they can fix it quickly. I think it's already been pushed out to the retail platforms, though. It's up on TIDAL and I expect it will show up on others shortly.
Edit: Sounds OK on iTunes and Japan retailers. Sounds blown out on TIDAL, Google Play, Amazon, and Spotify.
Edit 2: UW HQ are looking into the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
im pretty confused here. Assuming its not worth spending the $8US for this when we've already downloaded all the tracks for free, right?
Up to you. The main reason to buy it is if you want lossless or 24-bit lossless. Also to support the band. The other reasons would be to get the extended version of Molehill and shorter version of Threat of Rain.

Last edited by TheBang; 03-07-2019 at 12:38 PM. Reason: HQ update
Old 03-07-2019, 11:58 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
RICK
Yeah, Appleshine. One of the five or six jams that we recorded with the Necks. How did this start? You met the Necks quite a while ago now?
AIR Studios session with The Necks, April 2-4, 2018:

http://karlhyde.underworldlive.com/2...day-5th-april/

A post shared by on

A post shared by on

A post shared by on

A post shared by on

A post shared by on

Old 03-07-2019, 12:57 PM
WhiteNoise
I?m good, I?m alright

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlieu View Post
Fairly extensive sleeve notes. Mid-way through at the minute, really lovely reading so far.
An unbelievable joy to read. It's always a treat to hear more about the process, and a window in where that process is now, after so many years of working together. Just phenomenal. I'd listen to Rick preach about how he keeps his archives organized for half an hour if he'd do it.

A gorgeous release in general, has me giddy like the old radio broadcasts used to. Love everything happening in Drift.