Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > treatment.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:34 PM
kagenaki koe
children are futura

Re: Transformers 2: Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
"but in the new movie, you actually see him getting teased for being half human as a kid, and then it takes his older self telling him not to bury his emotions so deeply to get him to even begin accepting the idea of it".
i'm not a trekkie, but i thought the idea of vulcan kids being mean was very un-vulcan like.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:26 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Beck View Post

6) jive talking nigger-bot twins.
steven what country are you from
Old 07-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Steven Beck
Underneath a Radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman View Post
steven what country are you from
Fucking Butt-Fucked Egypt. Why you ask?
Old 07-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Strangelet
rico suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman View Post
how does this not kill you?
Its killing me. I have had my fill with corporate america. Its a sinking ship anyway and I've decided I'm not going down with them. Phrases like "Hold it, I'm not saying I disagree with you, I'm saying you're wrong" chill me to the bone. Dissected, it reveals the true mindset of corporatism. There is no reality other than what makes me look smart and makes me more money by way of the corporation making more money. And it's shocking to people that there's 16.5% unemployment now?

I developed software for a small almost family run company based on the classic american business model. That means you build capital and use that for your re-investments, not credit. You base performance on *profits*, ie the shit you get to keep, not earnings or some enron style metric of "profitability", You keep the value in the company, not squeeze out every dime, leverage it up to the hilt, and hand it off as some frankenstein magic profit machine to some other poor sap investor like you're a speculator swapping houses.

But our success by this model made us attractive to investment arms of fuck off big corporations like GE (not to name any names). So in come all these hot shot 30 year olds in leer jets from chicago who buy up our small business and proceed to corporatize us the way the rest of the god forsaken country works. They turn our accounting department into a fantasy football pool, so that they can just sit there and watch the stats. They put a patsy in for the CEO, pass around a bunch of "Six Sigma" books so we can all educate ourselves on how to really run our company, throw in a couple moles to brow beat us with their expertise.

now people who were like family can't look each other in the eye, our decisions are based on anything but reality. I have about 6 bosses, all of them well below my education level.

So I'm getting the rock out of here because 1. its going to go down in flames eventually, just like every ponzi scheme, just like the american economy which is itself a big ponzi scheme. 2. I'd rather work a squeegie on an off-ramp than be a corporate shill, and nothing less is asked of me every day at work.

how does that not kill anybody?

- Mark Twain

Old 07-03-2009, 12:58 PM
viddy
pro tooler

Send a message via AIM to viddy
Quote:
I wish I could give you concrete examples without disclosing key story points in the movie I'm working on, but it's hard. Actually, here's one - the character of Spock was raised by us in a recent meeting with executives (who shall remain nameless) as an example of an engaging, compelling, conflicted character who struggles to fit into both worlds he's a part of. Being raised as a half human on the planet Vulcan forced him to suppress his human, emotional characteristics, and when among humans, he now comes across as cold, overly logical and relatively out of place. But from time to time, his emotions bubble to the surface, putting him in totally awkward personal situations, but also highlighting the fact that his cross-breeding makes him uniquely qualified to do stuff that no other character is capable of. So essentially, something he's always lived with as if it's a weakness can also be one of his greatest strengths, and he struggles with that conflict.

The executive response to this was "no no no - Spock embraces his differences, and they allow him to fit perfectly into both worlds." After a brief, awkward silence, one of us on the creative side answered, "but in the new movie, you actually see him getting teased for being half human as a kid, and then it takes his older self telling him not to bury his emotions so deeply to get him to even begin accepting the idea of it". The executive response to this was "well sure, in the movie, yes", to which I replied, "it's that way in the old series, too. He's always super-logical, denying his emotional side until some life or death situation forces it out of him. And even then there was always a comedic back and forth between Spock and McCoy afterwards where Spock would cover up his emotional display with some kind of logical explanation..." at which point I was cut off by this executive with "no, that's not right. I'm a trekkie, I know this stuff really well." So I said, "okay, I guess we disagree on who Spock is..." only to be cut off again with "hold on - I'm not telling you I disagree....I'm telling you that you're wrong".

The meeting then moved on to completely new topics for the next ten minutes or so, until out of absolutely nowhere, that same executive blurts out to us "by the way, you ALL have the wrong idea about who Spock is!" He may as well have been stomping his feet on the ground with a pouty face when he had that final little outburst. It was incredible to watch. And even more incredible if you're familiar with how the Spock analogy relates to a character in the film we've been developing with these people for over a year.

What the hell do you say to that kind of an egotistical nutwad who has to be right at all costs, simply saying anything to win? The guy can fire you if he wants, and he has fired a shitload of people already. So you just shut up and hope he'll forget what he said and that you can still make a decent movie. But I've come to refer to these incidents as his "sky is green" moments - as in you say "the sky is blue", and he replies "no it's not - it's green." You look up and say "but I'm looking at it right now, and I can see that it's blue", to which he would just say "look, I'm an expert on the sky, and I'm telling you that it's green".

And the other executive we primarily deal with just always has to be the smartest person in the room - to the point that they'll tell you your idea doesn't work, and will then proceed to actually pitch the exact same idea back to you in their own wording as if it's theirs, as an idea that would work. Although in those instances, you can just go along with it and say "um....good idea", knowing that at least you can do what you wanted to do in the first place with that part of the story.

Not sure if any of this makes much sense out of context of the day to day development of this project, but it's been maddening.
Oh man, I would LOVE to know the names of who you're talking about. PM me if you wouldn't mind!
Old 07-03-2009, 03:56 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Quote:
Originally Posted by viddy View Post
Oh man, I would LOVE to know the names of who you're talking about. PM me if you wouldn't mind!
Ya knooow, during the past few years, you can go back and read a few news media outlets and see who stated, "You cannot steal an idea." It's popped up a few times.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:56 PM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

Quote:
And the other executive we primarily deal with just always has to be the smartest person in the room - to the point that they'll tell you your idea doesn't work, and will then proceed to actually pitch the exact same idea back to you in their own wording as if it's theirs, as an idea that would work. Although in those instances, you can just go along with it and say "um....good idea", knowing that at least you can do what you wanted to do in the first place with that part of the story.
Sometimes the trick is making people think they thought of things themselves.

The Master doesn't talk, he acts.
When his work is done,
the people say, "Amazing:
we did it, all by ourselves!" -Tao Te Ching 17
Old 07-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelet View Post
Its killing me. I have had my fill with corporate america. Its a sinking ship anyway and I've decided I'm not going down with them. Phrases like "Hold it, I'm not saying I disagree with you, I'm saying you're wrong" chill me to the bone.
You and me both, brotha'. Sorry to hear about your situation. Screw 'em.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:51 AM
Steven Beck
Underneath a Radar.

Guys, stop fucking getting off topic and talk about how fucking awesome T2 is.

I think I know why a lot of you fucks didn't seem to enjoy it.

I saw it for the second time on Saturday night, and thought to myself "how the fuck could this fucking masterpiece get any better?" - and then realised that it would be fucking incredible if I was completely fucking drunk.

So I snuck a bottle of fucking Bacardi and 5 cans fucking of vodka and passionfruit soda in. I bought a fucking medium lemon soda, drank half, then emptied the fucking bacardi into it.

I then chugged the fuck out of all of them.

2 things.

1) Having to fucking piss in a movie is fucking lame.
2) Megan Fox is fucking crazy hot, but holy fuck with beer goggles on I would have crawled over a mile of broken fucking glass to eat a yard of her shit.

So after fucking going nuts for fucking OPTIMUS "FUCKING DECEPTICON TRASH" PRIME, I then kicked on at the local pub. I didn't really know anyone there, so I used my fucking supreme charms to manipulate the large group of fucking 18 year old girls into buying me drinks. Those silly bitches thought I was going to fuck them or something, but instead I gave them my jive-talkin'-nigger-bot routine and then stumbled home.

FINAL SCORE FOR NIGHT OUT WITH THE AUTOBOTS:

DRINKS - 5/5
OPTIMUS - 5/5
DRUNK 18 YEAR OLD BITCHES - 5/5
TOTAL - THIS IS BETTER THAN SEAN'S MOVIE.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:06 PM
viddy
pro tooler

Send a message via AIM to viddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Beck View Post
Guys, stop fucking getting off topic and talk about how fucking awesome T2 is.

I think I know why a lot of you fucks didn't seem to enjoy it.

I saw it for the second time on Saturday night, and thought to myself "how the fuck could this fucking masterpiece get any better?" - and then realised that it would be fucking incredible if I was completely fucking drunk.

So I snuck a bottle of fucking Bacardi and 5 cans fucking of vodka and passionfruit soda in. I bought a fucking medium lemon soda, drank half, then emptied the fucking bacardi into it.

I then chugged the fuck out of all of them.

2 things.

1) Having to fucking piss in a movie is fucking lame.
2) Megan Fox is fucking crazy hot, but holy fuck with beer goggles on I would have crawled over a mile of broken fucking glass to eat a yard of her shit.

So after fucking going nuts for fucking OPTIMUS "FUCKING DECEPTICON TRASH" PRIME, I then kicked on at the local pub. I didn't really know anyone there, so I used my fucking supreme charms to manipulate the large group of fucking 18 year old girls into buying me drinks. Those silly bitches thought I was going to fuck them or something, but instead I gave them my jive-talkin'-nigger-bot routine and then stumbled home.

FINAL SCORE FOR NIGHT OUT WITH THE AUTOBOTS:

DRINKS - 5/5
OPTIMUS - 5/5
DRUNK 18 YEAR OLD BITCHES - 5/5
TOTAL - THIS IS BETTER THAN SEAN'S MOVIE.
Sounds like good 'ol Tom....