Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Lx_Nen
Romford no more

Best of the Non-Dirty Beatport mixes
Taking a break from hyping the Dirty mixes (although there's a link in my sig if you haven't voted us all up yet). Some of the non-dirty mixes are really good, and well worth a listen. It's something of a mantra over on beatport's discussion thread, but there are quite a few that widdle all over the commerical promo mixes from a great height, but a lot are getting lost under a stream of ballot-stuffing votes by some entrants.

So, this thread is for links that will help dirts find the gems among the dross.

I'll get the ball rolling with "Bird 1 (The Gripp Remix)". A highly skilled total rework of the song that sounds a bit like Duran Duran around their 80s peak, with masses of funky bass guitar and cowbell, but still fits perfectly with the vocals and gives the chorus a real punch. Maybe if Underworld Mk1 had carried on and hit the bigtime they might have souded like this.

http://www.beatportal.com/remix/deta...e-gripp-remix/
Old 11-04-2010, 10:47 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Re: Best of the Non-Dirty Beatport mixes
The Gripp mix is fantastic except for the production on the chorus. It's too loud and really ruins the vibe. The rest of the track is great though. I'd love to have an mp3 of it with some of the effects and double tracking reduced on that chorus.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:17 AM
undarrenworld
bungalow

This is great idea to rework it in this way... Reminds me of an old days of Underworld MK I...
Spin.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:40 PM
stimpee
Administrator

I've listened to a bunch of these mixes. Theyre all awful in some way. I wish they werent. If you havent registered for Beatport yet, and clicked "SPIN IT!" to the Marshall Watson mix then you should do it NOW.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:52 AM
starfox203
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
The Gripp mix is fantastic except for the production on the chorus. It's too loud and really ruins the vibe. The rest of the track is great though. I'd love to have an mp3 of it with some of the effects and double tracking reduced on that chorus.
Can't agree more. It's close but the chorus is a mess.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:56 AM
starfox203
mouseman

My favorites are LX Nen - nice chillout version (Just what I was hoping for) and Marshall Watson.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:57 AM
Lx_Nen
Romford no more

Thanks, Starfox... mine and Marshall's are being hyped along with all the other Dirty mixes in another thread too :-)

Here's another few of my picks from the non-dirts, for people who don't want to wade through all 318 mixes to find ones they like.

The John Player Mix.
This one suffers from the bane of remixes, 'throw the song away, just shove a vocal sample or two over cheesy generic techno-itis', but on the other hand it's damn fine cheesy generic techno! Just so 'hands in the air' that I can't resist it: http://www.beatportal.com/remix/deta...-player-remix/

Chitoon Remix
Dark, spooky, sounds a bit like recent Depeche Mode, keeps the song intact and goes somewhere else with it. Stick with it past the intro, it gets better as it goes along. http://www.beatportal.com/remix/deta...chitoon-remix/

Ydex Remix
Proof that there are some great mixes buried way down the list, this one only has 2 spins at the moment. Fun, fast and funky, and very well put together too, I'd definitely say this one was worth a listen. http://www.beatportal.com/remix/deta...-1-ydex-remix/

Last edited by Lx_Nen; 11-06-2010 at 04:13 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Lx_Nen
Romford no more

...and another. I've just failed to review this spectacular bit of audio in any coherent manner over on Beatport. Think Miles Davis and Venetian Snares rape Underworld in a dark alley.... or perhaps I'll be describing it if I said BeBopHeadfuck?

Make your own mind up which side of the dividing line betwwen genius and insanity it falls here: http://www.beatportal.com/remix/deta...-bakraka-remix
Old 11-06-2010, 11:21 AM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx_Nen View Post
...and another. I've just failed to review this spectacular bit of audio in any coherent manner over on Beatport. Think Miles Davis and Venetian Snares rape Underworld in a dark alley.... or perhaps I'll be describing it if I said BeBopHeadfuck?

Make your own mind up which side of the dividing line betwwen genius and insanity it falls here: http://www.beatportal.com/remix/deta...-bakraka-remix
Hehe, nice summary. For me, it's defo on the genius side. A bit chaotic and confused, but love it. Spun.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:51 PM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx_Nen View Post
Bird 1 (The Gripp Remix)... sounds a bit like Duran Duran around their 80s peak...
I can slightly see this, but I'm totally hearing Do You Think I'm Sexy in there - I was waiting for the synths to kick in!!!