Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:16 AM
vacant
pretty

foreign-language songs
Can anyone recommend and hook me up with some songs that are sung in a foreign language?

Basically, I want songs that are quite well-known, from the 1960's onwards that were originally sung in English, but covered in another language.

Cheers
Old 03-07-2007, 07:57 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Re: foreign-language songs
hmm...

well - off the top of my head, I can only think of Bowie songs... and those he re-did the vocals himself like :

Ragazzo Solo, Ragazza Sola (Bowie/Mogul): this Italian version of 'Space Oddity' (musically spoken) was released as a single (Philips 704208 BW) in Italy. The song has been re-released several times on bootlegs and counterfeits, but the official reissues can only be found on the Rare LP and on the rather obscure Italian Beat 600 CD.

"Heroes"
"Helden" (Bowie/Eno/Maass): this German version of "Heroes" was released as a single in Germany (RCA PB 9168). A 6'07" English/German version appeared on the German album (RCA PL 42372), while a 1982 German 12" contained both full length English-German/English-French versions (RCA PC 9821). A 1989 remix of the single version is found on Sound + Vision and the German/Swiss/Austrian edition of Best Of Bowie.

"Héros" (Bowie/Eno): this French version of "Heroes" was released as a single in France (RCA PB 9167), Canada (RCA PB-50398) and Australia (RCA 20629). A 6'07" English/French version appeared on the French album (RCA PL 42373), which itself was re-released in 1984 as "Take-off Heroes" (RCA NL 83857). This version was also released on a 1982 German 12" (RCA PC 9821) in 1982.

Don't Let Me Down and Down
Indonesian Vocal (also known as 'Jangan Susahkan Hatiku') of the song, which is incorrectly credited to Bowie. It was released in Singapore as a part of the BTWN album, then later appeared in 2003 on the Limited Edition 2CD+DVD of Black Tie White Noise.

Seven Years In Tibet
there is a Mandarin Chinese version of 'Seven Years In Tibet'. This song topped the charts in Hong Kong, and was known as "A Fleeting Moment"

actually... wait - this could go on for a while -> check this link

http://www.algonet.se/~bassman/bootlegs/01/sit.html

it collects most if not all of his foreign language tracks

[edit]
and I'm pretty sure I have all, if not most of his foreign language tracks... although some of them - like the Spanish version of "Day In, Day Out" aren't in that great of soundquality (as that track was only ever played once on some radio station in Latin America) or like the early (pre-Ziggy) tracks were only pressed on acetate

btw - why are you asking about foreign-language tracks?

Last edited by joethelion; 03-07-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:12 AM
Leon
bungalow

I don't know if it counts: Cypress Hill has done a Spanish (?) version of Insane In The Brain
Old 03-07-2007, 09:18 AM
kagenaki koe
children are futura

the only one on the top of my head is Laibach's cover of Queen's "One Vision" called "Geburt Einer Nation" which they sing in a kind of like a fascist rally song (in heavy german accent)
Old 03-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Tyler
...lost transmission

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Plastic Bertrand: Ca Plan Pour Moi!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:54 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

The Tom Middleton Compil that //\/\/ was talking about here has the most hilarious version of I Will Survive on it.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:09 AM
vacant
pretty

they're a good start, thanks!
i've got the Tom Middleton comp, dug it out of the racks today, and it's kind of got me inspired!
Old 03-07-2007, 10:19 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

oh, there's also a Japanese version of New Order's "Krafty"

and a HORRIBLE version of Moby's "Slipping Away" (Crier La Vie)
...well - I guess it's all a matter of taste, I mean - to me, it's a cheesy overly 'dancy' version of the track

although not really a 'cover' per se... the TERIYAKI BOYZ have a track called "Heart Breaker" which was produced by Daft Punk & it's essentially "Human After All" with Japanese hip hop over it
Old 03-07-2007, 11:14 AM
patrick
river

i have somewhere a hilarious bollywood version of michael jackson's "don't stop till you get enough"... i think it's that song at least. but it's amazing... i'm sure there are a number of MJ tracks that have been poorly covered in asia
Old 03-07-2007, 02:08 PM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

Faye Wong has covered Dreams by The Cranberries in both Cantonese and Mandarin. It's called Dream Person.

Her song 'Know Oneself and Each Other' is a cover of 'Know Who You Are at Every Age' by The Cocteau Twins. 'Random Thoughts' is a cover of 'Bluebeard'