Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Eikman
a life less extraordinary

jay haze interview
absolutely cracking interview with jay haze up on resident advisor. he is such a moron, but he surely has a point.

a little taster:
But I’m the first person to say I think James Holden sucks. Really. I think he’s a horrible DJ. I don’t think he knows how to work records. I think he’s a good producer but it’s not my style. That’s what I’m talking about. For me it’s okay to state your opinion because that’s how things change. You don’t have to be friends with everybody.

classic.
"M_nus parties are extremely overhyped. I mean they’re very boring parties. I like a little bit more soul and funk. They have none. Zero soul and zero funk."

couldn't agree more.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:40 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Re: jay haze interview
well, the Fuckpony stuff is certainly fun. Haze has a great point in this article however Holden's Balance 005 mix pisses all over both Jay Haze dj sets i have. Holden's LP is very disappointing but you must remember, Holden is still fairly young and has the ablity to come back with some more sparkling tunes. right now, i'd much prefer a Fuckpony 12" over anything with Holden on it.

as for M_nus parties, are they supposed to be fun? the sound of the label is certainly not fun while a name like Fuckpony is obviously about the fun. M_nus peaked with the Theorom Vs. Swayzak/Stewart Walker series.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Tyler
...lost transmission

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub
parties, are they supposed to be fun?
Old 02-22-2007, 11:52 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

,classic,!
Old 02-23-2007, 04:33 AM
Renze
mouseman

mein gott...

This has to be my favourite part:
That sound that is right now, the hyped minimal with all these reverbs and all this shit, go and listen to my first productions. Go talk to people who know. I was one of the first guys putting these big phat ass reverbs into minimal techno. I’ve even had the guys from Hardwax come to me and be like, “Dude, what you were doing with the reverbs on the snares…” These big reverbs are a defining aspect of minimal music. It’s such a staple in all these records right know. It’s in every Guido Schneider record, in every Robag Wruhme record. Robag Wruhme himself came up to me and was like, “Dude, you have no clue what your first records did for me. Putting these big reverbs…”

Old 02-23-2007, 09:07 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

that quote makes Jay Haze sound like an asshole. like a jealous, bitter asshole. unfortunately, not of his tracks approach the quality reached by any of the guys he's dissing. Robag, Schneider and Holden's best tunes are clearly better than Jay Haze's best tune. big fucking deal asshole, you put reverb on a snare. i can understand arrogance coming from Carl Craig or Derrick May, but this dude needs to put down the mirror and face reality.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Tyler
...lost transmission

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Hahahahaha just the thought of the HARDWAX (by which I assume he means all the guys behind burial mix/ rhythm & sound / etc) guys praising his 'reverbs' is really funny to me. what a douche.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:44 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

definitely will have to check this interview out...

and I kinda have to agree about Holden being over-hyped. I mean - sure his "At the Controls" mix was "nice" - but it really lacked a sense of... I guess you could say spontaneity. And sure, it's good to have a well crafted, solid mix, but at the same time - it shouldn't feel like you did like 5minutes now, then 10 minutes the day after tomorrow...

and I honestly feel that Holden releases stuff that's intentionally hard to mix. Like, he sits around and goes:

'hey - if I add all these percussion bits that are completely off beat at the beginning... then go into the song proper - then dj's will either have to play the entire track (including intro's) and look amateurish, or they'll have to train-wreck into my track... and look amateurish"

or is that just me?

[edit]
I should add that - while I do think he's over-hyped, he has managed to make some class songs/mixes
...even if they still have bitch-ass intro's and outtro's (I mean - even when UW mixed "break in the clouds" during that one lemonworld dj set, it was kind of rough)

Last edited by joethelion; 02-23-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Jafs
Tells

At the control is not the only Holden's DJ Mix. Throw your ears(huh ?) on Balance 005.