Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:35 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Re: underworldlive.com old tracks
"Swing up High" is such an incredible tune. cut from the same cloth as "You Do Scribble". hope it appears on a reissue somewhere cuz otherwise no one's gonna hear it but us
Old 10-30-2019, 08:28 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
"Swing up High" is such an incredible tune. cut from the same cloth as "You Do Scribble". hope it appears on a reissue somewhere cuz otherwise no one's gonna hear it but us

didnt aNt say something to the tune of "it's only up there because i begged for it, they'd rather forget about it and don't understand why i like it so much."

i love it too, and wish they had gone with that one instead of the scribble direction, but it's nice to have both.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:39 AM
blue

reminds me of Karl saying he tried to get "Jumbo" cut from BF. though obviously he likes it now
tbh UW have always had some odd opinions regarding their own work, which is certainly not an uncommon thing, but it does explain why the "finish and release everything" kick they've been on this year has been so fruitful. as great as "Swing up High" is you get the sense it's only two-thirds done.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:56 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
reminds me of Karl saying he tried to get "Jumbo" cut from BF. though obviously he likes it now
i was an avowed jumbo hater until i saw it live.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:36 AM
khouri
khondo dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman View Post
i was an avowed jumbo hater until i saw it live.
I loved Jumbo from the jump. I still remember where I was and what I was doing when I first heard that bass and drum kick in. My eyes went totally anime.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:59 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
This was a promo for the May 2006 radio show. The original QuickTime file of the video is available for download in the Files section of the rtsrboardoftrade Yahoo Group.
Fantastic. Thought it was lost forever. I love that jam. Someone should make an extended version... The original mov will probably have slightly better audio than a YouTube rip though its nice that the people here found it so quick!

Last edited by stimpee; 10-30-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:32 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
I loved Jumbo from the jump. I still remember where I was and what I was doing when I first heard that bass and drum kick in. My eyes went totally anime.
The bass... I’ve learned to like it. It tweaked me the wrong way for ages because it always felt odd. Fat but not heavy, like something only kind of stuck in your throat.
But also I was at an age where Karl’s lyrics/delivery in it were just... too embarrassing. I couldn’t play this to my friends! “Iiiiiuuhn, need sugarrr” fucking... no! Eeaugh!
But being 14 is like that.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:52 PM
blue

I think I was 13 when I first heard it. Loved it immediately
I didn't really like the "I need sugar" line either, but there's one that always got me..."telephone breath between us...there are no borders between us...only these wires"

Speaking of "Jumbo" - I was listening to an album by Yukihiro Takahashi the other day (who you might know from Yellow Magic Orchestra) and came across this tune - if Mr. YT is ripping you off then you've definitely stumbled on something brilliant

(if the embed doesn't work properly...skip to 25:25)

Old 10-30-2019, 06:28 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman View Post
didnt aNt say something to the tune of "it's only up there because i begged for it, they'd rather forget about it and don't understand why i like it so much."
Version 1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Smith
Recorded in 2004 as part of the early Riverrun experiments; for me, this almost painfully
simple synthesiser arpeggio piece evokes pictures of hi-life guitarists in a frantic jam.
Swing Up High might be a bit like Marmite to your tastes though.... and aNt may be the only person in
the world who loves this tune (apart from us).

p.s : this was version 1 .... do you want to hear what happens next?
Version 2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Smith
Where you going;

Several weeks ago an irritating genius we know ( no prizes for guessing who I'm talking about ) brought
this track to my attention. "Dude! When can I play this to my mates?"
Halfway through the uploading of this piece I 'discovered' another radical version which Mr Hyde and
myself jammed together at some place and some point in time.
These 'discoveries' are important to Karl and I. They spawn all sorts of tangential yet bizarrely natural
flows in our writing process. ( Look Janet! Look John! See the Process!)
They encourage action and reaction. They encourage the Jam.
They make us laugh.

Now move on.

RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hyde
What I'm thinking;

I didn’t know what to say about Swing Up High but Rick said it reminded him of
‘Hi-Life’ music & how that reminded him of Tim Bricknell.
Tim’s a great bloke & a dear friend who’s out in Botswana producing the Number 1 Ladies Detective
Agency series. We met him first when he was producer on the Breaking & Entering project & he worked
with Anthony Minghella for many years until we tragically lost Anthony earlier this year (2008).

When I think of Hi-Life I think of King Sunny Ade singing ‘Synchro System’ at the Montreux Jazz
festival back in the 80’s with Keith Haring painting a back-drop of little dancing men live onstage.

I think of Andy Kershaw who always seemed to be playing the excellent Bhundu Boys whenever I tuned
into his radio show. Radio & indigenous music needs Andy back on the airwaves. His passion for music
that most of us know little about is infectious & in terms of music from other countries he’s been my
greatest teacher. I remember having a slight disagreement with a producer at the BBC when Andy was
moved from Radio 1 to late night Radio 3. I commented that Andy was missed & this guy said how Andy
didn’t belong on Radio 1 which kicked me off as amongst other things Andy plays THE ROOTS of
popular music & without knowing the roots all we’re gonna be doing is referencing music that only goes
back a few years. No roots – shallow foundations.
(nuff of that)

And of course when I think of Hi-Life I think of the master – John Peel - who loved the music of The
Four Brothers & I remember how they were played on the night we all gathered at BBC Maida Vale to
celebrate him.

Yeah – that’s it – Hi-Life – the music of celebration.

KH
Old 10-31-2019, 08:03 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Version 1:

Version 2:

ah, so they also loved it. stupid memory.