Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > bound.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:23 PM
Kennrr
mouseman

The Walking Dead
like wow, wow, wow just picked up the first 2 volumnes of The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman. holy fuck is this great graphic novel. i adore the art, the story is great. the only gripe i can think of is doing starting it too similar like 28 days later other than that. pure zombie badassness.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:23 AM
velvetongue
river

Re: The Walking Dead
i think i've read this before....... have you read 28 days of night? there's a similar vampire one about vampires in Alaska...
Old 07-25-2006, 12:45 PM
darktrain
powered by robuts

seconded! i just read volume 1 and am on the lookout for vol 2. i don't think i've seen or read a zombie story that felt so "real" before.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Kennrr
mouseman

I found 28 days and nights umm well the concept of it is awesome but it just didn't flesh out right. its this great story but it just ends too quick with too easy of an answer. theres no character development either, and i'm not big fan of the art.

The walking dead however is where its at. the characters struggle and deal with the problem in a realistic way. it has the feeling that no matter how important you are in the storyline, you can be killed at any moment. it doesn't feel like they will be the ones that solve this mystery of zombies but merely they're just trying to survive it. i'm picking up vl. 4 today.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Malt Refund
croatoa

Walking Dead is amazing. Definately pick up all four volumes. The fifth will be out in August hopefully (it's been pushed back since Kirkman has been busy with Marvel Zombies, I really can't wait to read that one).

30 Days of Night (not 28.. maybe you're thinking about 28 Days Later?) just came out with it's fifth volume today.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Kennrr
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt Refund
Walking Dead is amazing. Definately pick up all four volumes. The fifth will be out in August hopefully (it's been pushed back since Kirkman has been busy with Marvel Zombies, I really can't wait to read that one).

30 Days of Night (not 28.. maybe you're thinking about 28 Days Later?) just came out with it's fifth volume today.
yeah my bad its 30 days of night but ummm fifth volume what? my friend let me borrow it and it was 100 so pages and it ended rather fast. (the one in the alaska town)

explain, sir! also tell me more about the marvel zombies. i've actually seen a picture of capt n etc as zombies and thought it looked pretty cool didn't know it was a story and that kirkman is writing it.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Malt Refund
croatoa

I haven't read Marvel Zombies yet.. I'm waiting for the trade paperback which should come this summer. Basically Marvel contracted Kirkman to work his zombie magic in the Marvel universe, where all the superheros are zombies. Looks totally hilarious.

I thumbed thru one of the issues at the comic shop and it showed the Silver Surfer coming to warn the Earth about the coming of Galactus, but instead all the Marvel characters immediately tried to eat him. ^__^

Also check out Invincible, under Image Comics. It's Kirkman's greatest work ever. I argue it's even better then Walking Dead.

30 Days of Night has five volumes: The original and offshoots titled Dark Days, Return to Barrow, Bloodsucker Tales, and Three Tales. I agree with you though, the stories aren't that fleshed out and there's no character development, etc. They are basically short stories with a peculiar artist style that it refuses to deviate from, even if the stories suffer from it.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:56 AM
velvetongue
river

yeah sorry thanks Malt i was thinking of 30 Days of Night. when did the Marvel Zombies come out??? i am absolutely waiting for the trade paperbacks also, no sense in getting it issue by issue and having it slowly disappear in the black hole of my room.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Malt Refund
croatoa

Walking Dead volume 5 came out today! It's pretty messed up. ;(

His release dates are pretty much random and theres never any way to know when its out until you see it on the shelves.

Last edited by Malt Refund; 10-04-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Kennrr
mouseman

yep, yep. picked it up last week. this trade really picked it up from number 4 whiched seemed like a whole lot of nothing. i felt pretty dirty reading it, like need a shower or something. wow, i mean wow. i wander what michonne(sp?) will do, they can't just killed her off yet, they haven't flesh out the whole crazy talking to herself thing yet. it sucks that i have to wait months for the next trade