Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > bound.

Old 07-06-2005, 10:22 PM
gambit
magic city writer

Any writers around here?
I'm curious, are there any writers other than myself here at the Dirty forums? Anyone have anything published?
Old 07-07-2005, 07:54 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: Any writers around here?
i used to fancy myself a writer, mostly of poetry and very short stories. When i was 18 or 19, it seemed like a very good idea for venting, and i have several binders of unpublished poems and a few novella-type things. No time for it nowadays, unfortunately. Looking back on it, it's all pretty much "i'm so sad, the world's confusing" sort of stuff

Well, now i write science journal articles. Published or in review, but not widely read.

What kind of work do you write? i think coming up with a believable universe through words is one of the hardest sorts of arts...so all the best to you!

Last edited by holden; 07-07-2005 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:57 AM
gambit
magic city writer

I write fiction, but I don't have anything published yet. I personally couldn't write a poem to save my life, and I admire those who can write verse, especially in any kind of structure. A few people on the forums here have read my work, and one of the reasons I started this thread was to start a writing circle of some sort where we'd all read each others' work and give each other feedback. I'm in desperate need of reliable and timely proofreaders, and other writers would be ideal proofreaders.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:02 AM
adam
blue

I know, I've hardly been timely. I'm a jerk.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:16 AM
b.miller
Gentleman Loafer

Send a message via ICQ to b.miller Send a message via AIM to b.miller Send a message via MSN to b.miller Send a message via Yahoo to b.miller
yeah i am flirting with the whole writing thing.. my output has been erratic though. I've mostly just written a few short stories although some of them aren't that short (last one was about 35 pages) and through a website I used to run i've self-published a book of film trailer reviews. self-published, i know. i don't really count that as published, but it is cool to be able to hold your work in your hands as a book.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:07 PM
gambit
magic city writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam
I know, I've hardly been timely. I'm a jerk.
Yeah, you bastard.

Actually, you've been much more punctual than a few people around here.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:12 PM
adam
blue

Going to a show tonight, I'll definitely write it up this weekend.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:38 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit
I started this thread was to start a writing circle of some sort where we'd all read each others' work and give each other feedback. I'm in desperate need of reliable and timely proofreaders, and other writers would be ideal proofreaders.
Good idea! i'd be up for that...
Old 07-07-2005, 03:50 PM
grady
fac321

I like the idea of flirting with the idea of writing. I've been doing that more seriously the past 6-8 months now. Nothing I've produced I would be ready to pass around just yet, but it mainly is stuff that starts out as small pieces of something bigger, or little sketches that turn into short stories. Spent close to five hours or so today writing and scribbling out notes at work today. My goal was to have something tangible by my birthday which is the 27th of this month. What that tangible something might end up being would be a short story I have been working on and tinkering with that has been growing and festering since I had the idea for it on a flight back from Hawaii on December 28th of last year.

At the moment I've been splitting my time with writing personal things, ie fiction, and working on this book review for the new Bret Easton Ellis novel Lunar Park. I've been trying to do three or four passes at it, each pass being subsequently different in tone and structure. Like one is in the vein of the NY Times Book review, then another is a shorter one in length maybe 300-350 words. Then a long detailed gushing sort of thing. So far I've not been terribly pleased with the output and have gone about re-reading the book along with a small little moleskine notebook to note all the little instances that tie into what I want to discuss in the review.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Ally
Henreeeeeeeeeecat! :)

Send a message via MSN to Ally
Yeah I've done quite a lot of writing..