Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:17 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Re: 2010-11-18 Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam + MEETUP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRev View Post
Definitely had fun bopping around to some of the new stuff - Especially Scribble. Karl is always a blast to watch. Was definitely happy to hear Dirty Epic - really liked the rework.

King of Snake - tried to look for you behind me, but couldn't see and my wife wasn't interested in moving from our spot to investigate.

One thing that really annoyed me - there were two people that spent half the concert yapping to each other. I was like, maybe 3 people back from the stage, and they're yapping in the middle of some BIG songs. Like really? get yourself all the way to the front at a dance show and stand there and yap away?
I looked around for someone with half a mohican in a dead milkmen shirt but couldnt see anyone Would have been good to meet up. we started around 5 rows back dead centre then gradually dfifted back to about 8 rows after an hour, then by the end 12 rows back behind all the idiots jumping around to BSnuxx.

Scribble sounds almost as bad live as it does on record. Still the worst song theyve ever released. I hope it sinks without a stone for the next tour. Its just so twee. Its like its some drum n bass remix of a gameshow themetune. The HMH always attracts the idiots who just want to talk, yes. Dont find I get this in Rotterdam or Tilburg (where I've seen other Underworld gigs).

I'll be back in Amsterdam tomorrow night... *sigh*
Old 11-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Andrea
light at heart

Was it so bad?
So this is why I took this picture in the women´s rest room at the Hotel Excelsior in Cologne today?

It was quite frustrating to be so close to Amsterdam and not be able to be there.
However, fat food and long-winded conference is a much worse combination believe me.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:46 PM
negative1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
Usual setlist minus Diamond Jigsaw. Encores Dirty Epic / Moaner. 2nd Encore: Pearls Girl.

Great gig actually. Banging versions of BS.nuxx, DE and PG.
cool...

anybody get video or sound recordings?
would be nce to see/hear pearl's girl...

on youtube, they have videos for almost all the
other sonsg except this one..

glad you enjoyed them..

later

Last edited by negative1; 11-19-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:58 PM
swift
suave. swell. swindle.

a great show it was. i had terrible stress getting there, because i had to work late out of town and had delays getting back to amsterdam — so i missed the meetup, i missed goose and i even missed downpipe... i hurried in during alaf.

i did not manage to sell my two spare tickets, somehow, so i gave them away to a young couple passing by the heineken music hall which i thought might deserve them. they didn't know underworld, but after i explained a bit they went in. maybe this sparked two new fans we might see here on borndirty later

to be honest, i had to get in the mood, probably had to shake off the traveling stress, but from halfway on i was blown away. almost burst into tears during dirty epic — hadn't heard this live since my first two underworld concerts in utrecht and amsterdam, 1994 (which both still aren't in the gigography, somehow). the reworking is stunning. and of course, the second encore was an absolute surprise.

yesterday's travel stress was infantile compaired to today's. the context is: i didn't buy tickets for the eindhoven concert, mainly because of the 'similar setlist' thing... but yesterday morning i learnt i could be on the guest list (due to connections between work i do and the strp festival). so i kept that open. and after the hmh i really wanted to see underworld again, but i also knew i had to go to a funeral today somewhere else in the netherlands (the mother of a very good friend, not so heavy for me but important to him) so it would be difficult to get there on time. but the train system here in the netherlands came to a halt because of a fire next to the main control centre in utrecht. i had just passed utrecht when this happened, so i got stuck in an overloaded train in the middle of nowhere for over five hours. after that, it took me another six hours to get home to amsterdam. i missed the whole funeral, and there was no way even considering reaching eindhoven in time. i just got home, at 01.30, after twelve hours of travel without ever reaching any of my destinations. fuck public transport in the netherlands. i am going to buy a car again. (which gets me into other troubles concerning the seven year waiting list obtaining a parking permit here in the centre of amsterdam, where i live, but that's another story).

swift
Old 11-19-2010, 07:07 PM
swift
suave. swell. swindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camiel View Post
I have noticed that more often when I was in the HMH. Is it an Amsterdam thing?
it is a general dutch thing, i must embarrassedly confess. it also happens at paradiso, de melkweg, tivoli, etcetera. it has even got some press from music journalists and even writers (joost zwagerman, a dutch novelist, has written about this if i am correct). it somehow started during the end of the nineties. it is as if people choose concerts to meet up with their friends and discuss their lives as you would do in the pub, in stead of going to concerts to listen to music. it is totally irritating, but what to do about it?
Old 11-20-2010, 04:58 AM
stimpee
Administrator

I remember going to see Bebel Gilberto at the tivoli and she was playing some acoustic number. She actually stopped playing and asked the people talking if they were there to talk or to listen. People at the front were sssshhhhing the ones at the back. It was embarassing and I'd like to say it worked but people still talked.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:20 AM
TheRev
mouseman

I was at Broken Social Scene last night and in the middle of Lover's Spit (a slow acoustic number), Kevin stopped and was like I'm not going to do this if you're going to just talk. Someone screamed "F*** You" at him.

The last words of the song (after he resumed) were "F*** You" and then he made a comment about how it would be like if he went back to your apartment while you were having sex and sat on the corner of the bad eating hummus and critiquing everything.

I was super stoked to hear the song, and sure enough after he got back into some asshats behind me went right back to talking..... *Sigh*