Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:09 AM
Dino3D
pants

Re: Drift Ep. 2, Part 1 - Appleshine
Bring us finally a f**g physical release!!!
Old 01-26-2019, 10:42 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3D View Post
Bring us finally a f**g physical release!!!

yeah don't riverrun this! better yet, seeing as how they're both "public experiments" package it all up together! not that it would make any sense..

as for the track i wouldn't say this beats out my faves from EP1 but it's lovely
Old 01-26-2019, 07:13 PM
iamneorev
pants

If they continue the physical reissue boxsets, I hope they give Riverrun Series its due. I'd love to hear it remastered and expanded. Honestly, up until Drift Episode 1, Riverrun Series was my last favorite thing of theirs.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:44 AM
undarrenworld
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamneorev View Post
If they continue the physical reissue boxsets, I hope they give Riverrun Series its due. I'd love to hear it remastered and expanded. Honestly, up until Drift Episode 1, Riverrun Series was my last favorite thing of theirs.

I view this Drift episodes as kind of continuation of the Riverrun series. Not exatly like that, but it reminds me of that somehow and I very welcome this new Drift approach for releasing music. Its great to be again connected like we were in the past, in the past decade. Appleshine is amazing piece of work, I can hear Ricks Yamaha DX7 there. Great atmosphere, like in old times. Hooray.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:18 AM
purlieu
enofa

Oh yeah, it's definitely like Riverrun, and I really appreciate that. Ultimately, I'll likely listen to the physical releases a lot more, purely out of habit and most of my listening coming from browsing my shelves. But the fact that they're releasing music in this way is enjoyable in itself: the feeling of connection, the excitement of a new track each week, the looser, more spontaneous approach to the music itself. There are still very few established artists really taking advantage of the freedom digital distribution provides, so I'm glad that some of my favourite artists are doing so (FSOL have been doing a 'calendar album' - one track a month over the course of a year - for three years now which feels very similar to this in some ways).
Old 02-07-2019, 02:05 PM
negative1

there might be a physical release someday.

but in the past it was all on vinyl, which i love.

if it does come out on vinyl, i'm sure there will be complaints about that also.

i'm not saying cd's are dead. but the fact the vast majority of the recent underworld
singles are all digital is pretty much standard practice.

later
Old 02-07-2019, 03:00 PM
taotsu
taotsu

They might just top it and put it out on tape. I would not put it past anyone ��
Though, I would personally prefer a record. But then again, I’m old��
Old 02-07-2019, 03:37 PM
purlieu
enofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by negative1 View Post
i'm not saying cd's are dead. but the fact the vast majority of the recent underworld singles are all digital is pretty much standard practice.
CD singles are pretty close to dead.

CDs still outsell vinyl, cassette and downloads in the UK. It's only streaming that beats them.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:40 PM
negative1

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlieu View Post
CD singles are pretty close to dead.

CDs still outsell vinyl, cassette and downloads in the UK. It's only streaming that beats them.
unless its a deluxe edition. i don't care about cd's.

nowadays, its this stupid digipack, or even worse,
a slipcase, and thats it.

it's not worth getting it for something i am going to rip,
and never look at again.

if you put out something deluxe, or 2cd, then MAYBE,
but other than that, vinyl and digital satisfy my needs.

for vinyl, i do play them, and rip them if there are exclusive tracks,
and sometimes they sound better than the official digital rips.

but mostly i like them for the artwork.

later
Old 02-07-2019, 06:40 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by negative1 View Post

it's not worth getting it for something i am going to rip,
and never look at again.

To each their own, my friend!

Frankly, a lot of my digital music gets tossed aside and forgotten. if i make the effort to buy a CD, that means (1) I like the artist more than casually, (2) i want to spend some focused time listening to them... digital is all-encompassing. I listen to streams and downloads on commutes and at work as background music.Bands and preferences come and go. It takes that little effort to load a CD and commit to the playtime. I have thousands of CDs, so the choice is not trivial. (3) Permanence, my man, permanence. So much digital info floats past us each day, we're all becoming attention-deficit. I like a reminder, a relic if you will, of what i was/am into, and the physical artwork (small as it is). It's an investment into the music of your life. Downloads are effortless and almost meaningless to me. By the way, i'm 39, have lived through vinyl, cassettes, CDs, digital files and streaming. I still prefer to collect my favorite bands on something tactile. I'll still burn mp3s/wavs/flacs to disc.

p.s. who cares about our musical consumption preferences? It''s so easy to jump media these days.