Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:15 AM
qirex
mouseman

Re: New Album: Barbara Barbara, we face a shining future (March 18, 2016)
In all serious, in the digital age, why is there still japanese only exclusive tracks? Considering how short this album is that extra track would have been nice. This is the only band that I know that still does it

Last edited by qirex; 03-02-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:27 AM
pandamagic
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by qirex View Post
In all serious, in the digital age, why is there still japanese only exclusive tracks? Considering how short this album is that extra track would have been nice. This is the only band that I know that still does it
aphex twin had a japanese bonus track on "syro." and not just a throw-away one either - it was one of the album's best. though he was generous enough to release that track months later as a stand-alone single . . .
Old 03-02-2016, 09:46 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
someone explained this once about having to do with the import and resulting album cost to Japanese customers. Its still dumb. Do movies in Japan get extra scenes? Books get extra chapters?
Old 03-02-2016, 11:34 AM
darkvoice
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
I first thought that, but I now think he meant Vocal Tracks. There's no way they wrote 30-40 'songs' and then decided to make a 7 song album.
Yeah I think you are right. Although I don't understand: BB is full of vocals. Maybe it's about songs like motorhome which they just used a single phrase to make the song instead of lot of different words...
Old 03-02-2016, 02:26 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
This is the only band that I know that still does it
Not at all.

As to why it's done, this article explains it. Although it was written in 2002, it's still relevant today:

http://www.melodicrock.com/industry/insidestory.html

Japan is one of UW's most important markets so they abide by the industry conventions.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:23 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
plenty of bands still do.

the most hilarious one that i got totally burned on was when i bought the Japan version of SOPHIE and it turned out the bonus track wasn't even on the CD, it was just a download code. i kinda stared at it for awhile before getting over it because it's just a CD, but danggggg
Old 03-07-2016, 07:31 PM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

'Ova Nova' is streaming in full on NPR's website. There's a writeup about the guys, too.
http://www.npr.org/2016/03/07/468737...world-ova-nova

Jason
Old 03-07-2016, 07:35 PM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

The Underworldlive store has a promo pic of what the Special Edition set for 'Barbara, Barbara we face a shining future' looks like with all the content, similar to promo pics for the 'dubnobasswithmyheadman' and 'Second Toughest of the Infants'.

Jason
Old 03-08-2016, 07:52 PM
hypeless
mouseman

Held off on ordering the album because shipping the special edition stateside is 60 pounds...

But with the comments about the Japanese bonus track possibly being the best one of the album, ordered the JP CD.

I'd been listening to the 6 music festival set while at work, and actually am really enjoying the new material. Not what I wanted or hoped for, but really enjoying it all the same
Old 03-09-2016, 05:34 AM
Drix
Re-Member

The album is growing on me, and I quite like that they have taken it down a notch both in bpm and energy. I was ready for something new, but I agree it's too short and that I Exhale is a boring choice for a song to stretch out.. Hope the JP bonus is great as some people say it is.

Look forward to seeing them live this summer! The BBC6 show sounded great, although the show and visuals were a bit too low key. Hope they spice it up for festival season.