3. Two Months Off
  4. Scribble
  5. Bird 1
  6. Rez/Cowgirl
  7. Between Stars
  8. Diamond Jigsaw
  9. KoS
  10. NUXX
"Standard" but by no means ordinary. The new songs, especially Scribble, sounded wonderful. Karl was on top form, even giving it Pete Townsend windmills during the Diamond Jigsaw powerchords (finished with a short guitar solo too). Nice touch dancing behind the screen for Cowgirl ("I'm invisible"). What a fuckin awesome band.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:27 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Re: 2010-08-27 Rock en Seine, Paris
still weird to see them do the same setlist gig after gig suddenly. Yes ok they're festival gigs but still in the past even at festivals they would mix it up a bit.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:53 AM
fraser
life kid

Send a message via AIM to fraser Send a message via Yahoo to fraser
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazwint View Post
Was no one else there?
I was there, resplendent in my lovely new dogboy t-shirt. Alas the french crowd didnt seem in the least bit interested in either my t-shirt or the gig itself. Crowdsurfing at an Underworld gig? Seriously? Wasnt so much peace, love and togetherness as a bunch of rude folk pushing their way past. Worst vibe I've ever experienced at an Underworld gig

Maybe I just got unlucky and stood in the wrong place...

Some of the new stuff works a treat (I'm looking at you, Downpipe!) but I felt other tracks like Diamond Jigsaw started well but failed to go anywhere.

I've never said anything even slightly negative about Underworld in about 15 years, what the devil is going on?!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Mike
born013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazwint View Post
"Standard" but by no means ordinary.
Sorry, what was "un"ordinary about it?? They probably just downloaded their own recording of the iTunes festival and played that whilst pretending to do stuff :P

Last edited by Mike; 08-30-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:03 AM
bazwint
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Sorry, what was "un"ordinary about it??
Well I was amazed how good the new songs sounded live. Agreed about the static setlist. Very surprising. But they're on a different tack here. I thought playing the iTunes fest was incredibly cheesy but if they sound this good I'm going with them. When we get some Underworld shows I'm sure they'll be back to mixing it up.

The crowd around us at the front were great. I saw a crowd surfer during TMO which was bizarre but he looked totally off his nut. Not a biggie.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:22 AM
bazwint
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser View Post
I've never said anything even slightly negative about Underworld in about 15 years, what the devil is going on?!
Sorry you didn't enjoy it, man.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:39 PM
m.g.
teh n00b

Was there. And I enjoyed it a lot.

Typical festival format (having to start at 11:15pm and obliged to finish at 0:30am) so it can't never be (and it's not the point in this kind of "exercise") like, say... Den Atelier 2005 or Cocoon 2006 (for those who can see what I mean ).

First time I heard the new songs live and I found very interesting to "see" what they became after knowing how they were (as it'll be great to see how they'll transform them later). And they were working very well to me.

Even just arriving from Japan (7 hours of jet-lag and about 30°C less) Karl was amazing as always. And I have to say that I always feel very happy to see Rick smiling and singing.

Just not exactly the 2005-2008 Underworld, not yet "the" Underworld they'll be in 2-3 years, but still very and undoubtedly Underworld.

I'll have no free time by the end of the year to be at their "proper" gigs and I'm already envying a lot the ones who'll be lucky enough to be around

It was just as great, uplifiting and different as the... erm... quite numerous times I've seen UW live. And I wish them all the very best and maximum success for Barking.

VoilÃ*

ps : I loved the new lights (specially the LED ones) and I've never heard before this ending they played on KoS
Old 09-01-2010, 06:45 AM
fraser
life kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.g. View Post
Just not exactly the 2005-2008 Underworld, not yet "the" Underworld they'll be in 2-3 years, but still very and undoubtedly Underworld.
Yeah, it's this transition phase that I struggled to deal with I think. Its entirely unfair for me to expect the new tracks to have the same impact as Rez/Cowgirl or KoS. I remember being unimpressed the first time I heard Two Months Off live, but it was excellent on Friday night. I guess I'm not ready to make the transition myself just yet and would have preferred the majority of tracks to be "classics" rather than the "future classics"

I've seen Underworld 8 times in five different countries in the last 3 years so I should probably the last person that starts complaining when they change things up a bit!
Old 09-01-2010, 11:20 AM
m.g.
teh n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser View Post
I've seen Underworld 8 times in five different countries in the last 3 years so I should probably the last person that starts complaining when they change things up a bit!
fraser, my post wasn't at all reproaching or criticizing your feelings, and I can absolutely understand this "transition phase" which you are struggling with... (I also have the same stuggling with Scribble) my post was only about my thoughts re: this gig, their new songs and my feeling about "where" UW is now... so, nothing personal indeed
Old 09-01-2010, 01:02 PM
fraser
life kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.g. View Post
fraser, my post wasn't at all reproaching or criticizing your feelings
That's ok, I didn't interpret it like that at all. My only struggle is with myself