Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:04 AM
tokyorai
messe

Send a message via AIM to tokyorai
Re: 2010-10-06 Zepp Osaka
Found a site with the set lists for the shows here...looks like tonight's encore had Pearl's Girl instead of Dirty Epic. Both good songs though!

http://trafficjpn.com/underworld/news.html

I thinks big fans of UW can enjoy the show even if the set list was 100% the same. I know I would but I was only able to get tickets to Sunday's show.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:54 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyorai View Post
Found a site with the set lists for the shows here...looks like tonight's encore had Pearl's Girl instead of Dirty Epic. Both good songs though!

http://trafficjpn.com/underworld/news.html

I thinks big fans of UW can enjoy the show even if the set list was 100% the same. I know I would but I was only able to get tickets to Sunday's show.
I certainly wouldn't enjoy the show as much as I would if they were random setlists and I'm a big fan of Underworld. Part of the allure of their live shows was having literally no idea what was coming next. It was a fantastic live experience. Many of us have seen them 10+ times and outside of a festival setting, I don't think any of those shows were clones of a previous one.

I went to back to back shows in 2 different cities once, and 3 or 4 songs were repeated. Thats it. The rest were completely random.

The LiveHereNow shows are all pretty unique without sacrificing heavy hitters or alienating new listeners.

Fact is, this new tour of 13 songs contains 6 from the new album, is starty/stoppy, and in the exact same order. Will I enjoy the show? Probably. But I sure as shit won't be surprised nor will it rank up there with the best of them. End of an era? Blip in the road?

And to be honest, I'm more concerned with the start/stop nature of the show as the improves and bridges used to be such awesome moments. The subtle clues about what was coming next will be missed.

Last edited by potatobroth; 10-07-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:21 AM
jose m
pants

Re: Underworld Articles 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
really? I bet a lot of people bought tix to multiple shows.
i'm not so sure.
you could get that impression here but amongst the "normal" fans i dunno.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:49 AM
bazwint
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
End of an era? Blip in the road?.
I wonder. I thought the static setlist would be ditched when the boys started to do their own shows but obviously not. They're still the dogs' live but I already find myself longing for the Barking era to end.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:20 AM
jose m
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazwint View Post
I wonder. I thought the static setlist would be ditched when the boys started to do their own shows but obviously not. They're still the dogs' live but I already find myself longing for the Barking era to end.

guys....there just aren't enough fans around these days that share your views imo (check out facebook and gig reviews for a positive view or for an alternative, the amount of us that get involved on here ! )
i get the feeling that this is an end of the road in someway though, maybe those seated theatre shows are the next development, a "dubnobass/2nd toughest" tour like the primals upcoming "screamadelica" tour or "an intimate evening with smith & hyde" with live painting,poetry and fizzy pop ?????
in the meantime,why not stop checking out the setlists and then any show you see you'll still have the surprise you want?
Old 10-11-2010, 07:28 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Re: Underworld Articles 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jose m View Post
i'm not so sure.
you could get that impression here but amongst the "normal" fans i dunno.
True. I'm just basing this on people I know that are both super fans and so-so fans. If UW played back to back in NYC, I know a whole bunch from both categories that would go to both shows.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:39 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
guys....there just aren't enough fans around these days that share your views imo (check out facebook and gig reviews for a positive view or for an alternative, the amount of us that get involved on here ! )
i get the feeling that this is an end of the road in someway though, maybe those seated theatre shows are the next development, a "dubnobass/2nd toughest" tour like the primals upcoming "screamadelica" tour or "an intimate evening with smith & hyde" with live painting,poetry and fizzy pop ?????
in the meantime,why not stop checking out the setlists and then any show you see you'll still have the surprise you want?
All my opinions are from a superfan pov. All my concerns are thus, from this pov.

I would LOVE to have UW bill the first show of a 2-night set as 'only ambient songs' or 'only bsides' or whatever. I'd be in heaven.

Now, They Might Be Giants (weird comparisson but go with me) announce the format for each show they are going to do. Living near NYC, ive seen them live dozens of times and not a single show has been the same. Not remotely. They play small venues, play gigs in clusters (like last saturday of each week for the entire month), and do the following:

Sat 1: Entire Album X, + some random songs
Sat 2: No repeats at all between Sat 2 and Sat 3
Sat 3: No repeats at all between Sat 2 and Sat 3
Sat 4: Two part show, first half just the two founders and a beatbox, second part full band.

The point being, they aim smaller, and offer a huge variety. They get multiple attendees because the show is always different. When there arent enough fans, aim smaller and more intimate. Give reasons to get the remaining fans to go more often.

I loved that Underworld shows were always different. Its why i started collecting their bootlegs.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Mike
born013

It wouldn't pay the bills.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:02 PM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
guys....there just aren't enough fans around these days that share your views imo ---snip--- in the meantime,why not stop checking out the setlists and then any show you see you'll still have the surprise you want?
Too late, we already know the setlist because it was played WAY BACK on the 12th June and hasnt changed since. If this tour was sold as Live Here Now theres no way anyone would buy more than the gig they were at. I know its easier to do the same setlist 20+ times in a row (ask Orbital). But at the expense of pissing off the existing fans who might do more than 1 gig per tour. As an example, UW are playing London 3 times in 4 months. Are they going to play the same setlist for all 3 gigs? If this is gonna be how this tour is then maybe the fans here should only see one gig and give the rest of the tour a miss and hope that the next one is different. If this tour is there to attract new fans, then I hope it works, but for me who usually sees Underworld upto 6 times per tour its a kick in the teeth (yes, i know im certainly not normal in doing that, thats why im such an Underworld freak). I get it that the majority of people see UW once per tour and theyre very happy. But thats not us. So we are here bitching. Sorry about that.

And I hope UW arent at the point of touring previous albums whole (yet). Its nice but they have so much more to give. I'm still hoping for a change in the setlist for the US/EU shows, even if the new tracks are played in the same order first, and then the boys mix it up for the second half.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:28 AM
jose m
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
It wouldn't pay the bills.

i think there's a lot of truth in this.