Dirty Forums > moments.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:44 AM
spacejunk
vision, come on...

Re: Still no Chicago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
nothing til next year I fear... been waiting too
Been waiting forever! Hurry up already! I can't travel to the coasts with two little ones running around! I'll even buy 10 tickets and give them to friends. COME ON!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:24 PM
cdave2
dancin' fool

Yannick, by “next year” do you mean there’s another possible tour, or is that just my wishful thinking? It’s too late to do much for the current tour, but if there’s something in the works for next year we might have a chance.

Thanks very much for the link, Bang. Very informative but also daunting. I had no idea, for example, that the promoter was responsible for insurance; I'd thought that the venue would cover the audience and the band their own crew. Seems that promoters absorb a lot of financial risk--if they provide what they're supposed to.

So, on to lowbit's suggestion. Let's look at drumming up enough fan support before we think about making a case to the promoters. We don't know who Underworld might prefer to work with or what sort of experiences they've had with promoters in Chicago.

If we could get the numbers, it would be a great bargaining chip for the band. So what would we need? Let’s look at the other US gigs (not including festivals as we don’t know how many tickets are sold because of Underworld). Ticket prices are face value, not including ticket broker fees. Total revenue equals the income from ticket sales if the show sells out. Obviously I have no idea what’s needed to cover expenses or how much Underworld would get, but at least it’s a starting point:
930 Club, Washington DC: capacity 1200, price per ticket $45, total revenue $54,000
Roseland Ballroom, New York: capacity 3200, price $57.50/$47.50 (avg. $52.50), total based on avg. $168,000
4th & B, San Diego: capacity 1500, price $38, total $57,000

I adore Underworld and would spend my last penny to see them; the problem is that those prices do seem a little high for mass ticket sales around here, especially if you add Ticketmaster fees. For comparison’s sake, I looked up the two Chicago venues where Underworld have played and figured their average ticket price based on upcoming shows. The House of Blues has a capacity of 1200 and an average ticket price of $35.48. Total revenue $42,576, lower than the other US shows. The Riviera holds 2300-2500 (depending on what you read—I’m going with 2300) and has an average price of $28.25. Total revenue $64,975, which is in the ballpark.

Let’s round it off to 2000 tickets at $30 per ticket. That’s 87 percent of a sold-out show at the Riv. Think we could do that?

The next question is how. The easiest and cheapest way of going about it would be some kind of online petition: e-mail all your friends, contact various blogs, Pitchfork, etc. I’m questioning how much influence that would have, however. I’m thinking of putting our money where our mouths are—and that’s where my REALLY crazy idea comes in.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’d be happy to buy a ticket way in advance for Underworld. If someone said to me, “okay, we’re looking at a Friday or Saturday sometime in September or October of 2011, would you purchase a ticket for $30?”—sure, I’d place an order! If they make enough sales to confirm the gig, charge everybody then. If the quota isn’t met, no one gets billed.

The only problem is that I’d be very reluctant to make a pledge to anyone but the band themselves—not the promoters and certainly not Ticketmaster. I’ve purchased tickets before via the Radiohead website; I wonder how they handled it. Would love to hear input from people who actually have some expertise with online commerce.

Can you imagine what a bargaining chip that would be for Underworld? 2000 guaranteed sales.

Might even be newsworthy. The National Public Radio show Sound Opinions is based here in Chicago. They’ve been doing a lot of reporting on business practices throughout the music and concert industry.

Your thoughts?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:26 PM
cdave2
dancin' fool

Slightly more earthbound suggestion here. Lollapalooza is taking suggestions for next year's festival. Deadline is next Thursday, October 7:

http://www.lollapalooza.com/surveys/...ink&utm_term=3

I say we bombard 'em.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:07 PM
SappysCurry
can you feel this bass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdave2 View Post
Slightly more earthbound suggestion here. Lollapalooza is taking suggestions for next year's festival. Deadline is next Thursday, October 7:

http://www.lollapalooza.com/surveys/...ink&utm_term=3

I say we bombard 'em.
Submitted.