Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2006, 10:02 AM
kid cue
ryooong

Re: Wired Top 50 Albums
i thought i felt the same way about Ys (er, higher up on this thread), but i keep being compelled to put it on. at first it was because i really wanted to get into it, and earn my 14 dollars' worth; now i can't get away from Joanna and her stupid faeries*. something about the sly songfulness within each 15-minute epic. it seems like a quintessential grower.

*(i actually <3 faeries)
Old 12-24-2006, 10:10 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

seems that way too but...

a friend and i were driving in a car with her dad and this came on the radio (college...), so we started explaining this woman to him and all the accolades and what rolling stone is making fun of for and he sits there listening to it and after awhile says "i really love how she plays the harp but why does she sing like that?"
i also can't seem to get past that either. ever since i first heard her through my design drawing prof i couldnt stand her voice and i still can't make peace with it.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:18 AM
kid cue
ryooong

the first time i heard her voice was in the dubstep track "Shadow" by Clouds, where it sounds awesome. anyway, Joanna just sounds really similar to Bjork to me (~65% of the time). i like how you can hear the grain in her singing sometimes, how it sometimes verges on unlistenability; it seems an important contrast to the frilly, unobjectionable backing arrangements.