Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2008, 05:29 AM
Liverpool Street
river

Re: Brixton Academy 1st November 2008
Just listening to my mp3 of Saturday night and re living it. I can't believe I didn't notice how the beats dropped out on Darc, it's very noticable on the recording! Highlights for me was Born Slippy (the original - 3rd track) and Moaner was a fantastic end to the concert, though I was so hyped up it was hard to believe it had ended. Another fantastic night, I absolutely loved it, as did everyone around me.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:52 AM
fastone
river

Thanks to the SLM person who allowed and encouraged me to take one of the UWlive screenshot posters out of the foyer afterwards. Loverly - anyone else get one?
Old 11-03-2008, 06:55 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by twicezero View Post
How do they come across on CD? My memories of the nights, were that friday had a smoother quieter sound with lots of breaks into ambient pieces, where as saturday as louder, more of the bass drum everywhere, and rougher edges to the structure of some of the songs.
I've seen Underworld SO many times live now that I find it quite easy to listen to a live recording and imagine what that sounds like in a club/theater. But to answer your question a little more closely, I'd say that I like the Nov. 1 show quite a bit more. When I play them at home (loud), tracks like KoS and PG really come across as quite epic. Typically these songs don't 'wow' me anymore since I've heard them so often but during this set they did. I think the flow of Nov1 was better as well.

I really like the Oct31 show too, but it just seems a little more keyed down.

I'm getting quite good at discerning how the mood of a show is going to be from a few key tracks: Cowgirl being a big factor.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:59 PM
mogston
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploom2 View Post
its a shame they came on so late, i had to leave early too (about 1 am though).

rob da bank was good, played lots of interesting tunes and got the crowd going

autokratz reminded me of scooter.......straight boring 4/4 bang bang beats and people trying to look "rock" by twisting knobs and dropping his guitar on the floor...i guess some people liked it ..it bored me rigid ...i wish i'd taken headphones in...

underworld were great...some tunes i didnt recognise (although im not a big fan of guitar noodling )..great set though....i just wish theyd been on earlier and they couldve played longer

i wish people wouldnt keep asking me for drugs...
I hate moaning about bands but I have to agree about Autokrapz - I was so bored I nearly gave up my pole position (dead centre just behind a rail, lovely!).
Is that really the best band they could find - a piss poor Underworld imitation that sounded about twenty years out of date?

Would def. have preferred Rob Da Bank for the whole three hours, he really knew how to work the crowd whereas the support band just yelled at them!

Never mind, once Underworld took the stage it was all forgotten...
Best.Gig.Ever (till the next one heh)
Old 11-04-2008, 05:09 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatmakesustick View Post
Also, was that the famed 'tokyo light ball' that went crazy at the end during Moaner. If it was'nt, it was very similar and very cool!!
I had a look at KoS's video that he took during Moaner. The light wheel is similar to the light wheel in Japan. In fact, it seems to have the same movement patterns programmed in. However, the Japan light wheel seems to have bigger, brighter lights, and the individual lights can rotate at a faster rate, which gives it a more kinetic feel.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:19 PM
DaddyAdv
pants

I just stumble across this awesome thing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dannyno...7611268894277/

That guy also has some more, professional pictures taken at Brixton:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dannyno...7611268894277/

He says more will be featured in Spin magazine.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:41 PM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

niiiiice pix!!