Send a message via MSN to holden
New Chemical Brothers album announced
https://www.thechemicalbrothers.com/#news

"No Geography"... LP 9, coming next spring
Old 11-19-2018, 04:10 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

Re: New Chemical Brothers album announced
NA "tour" announced too. It's more of a tour than Orbital is doing, but not by much. A date in Mexico City, two in LA, and one in San Fran. Might try and swing for San Fran, but having already shelled out for Massive Attack tickets (and I still need to get travel arranged for that) it's probably not happening for me.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:03 PM
ndrwrld
blue

there best be moar North American dates announced....No NYC, no Toronto WTF ?

Old 11-20-2018, 12:29 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

ooof - man, I'm going to have to decide between seeing Massive Attack or the Chems...
Old 11-20-2018, 01:22 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

The massive attack tix are already on sale. Most of the good seats have been snagged.

The bill Graham civic auditorium has presales 2 days early through their website. Its how I got good seats for massive attack and they are doing the same for the chems.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:57 PM
iamneorev
pants

I hope No Geography is better than Born In The Echoes. I honestly found that album a bit disappointing. I'll give them EML Ritual. But I found myself bored mostly. It's toward the bottom of my Chem Bros album list, just above Push The Button. Free Yourself is okay, but feels a bit like Born In The Echoes Part 2. I would like to see them live. Hoping for a solo NYC show.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:56 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpig View Post
The massive attack tix are already on sale. Most of the good seats have been snagged.

The bill Graham civic auditorium has presales 2 days early through their website. Its how I got good seats for massive attack and they are doing the same for the chems.

yea - honestly - I've kinda given up on getting 'good seats'. Plus, even though SF is closer - we're more likely to go to the LA show (just so we don't miss multiple days of work).

but I've lucked out with General Admission for the last couple of shows I've been to (the Presets, Arctic Monkeys, and Jack White)

I will say... it's insane that some of the ticket resellers are charging more for Massive Attack than what I paid to be in ~4th row for David Byrne a few months ago
Old 11-20-2018, 03:45 PM
holden
collateral damage

Tempted to try for SF gig, just because you never know if/when you'll have another stateside opportunity.

For me, the Brothers' ranking goes:
1. Dig your own hole
2. Exit Planet Dust
3. Further
4. Surrender
5. Come With Us
6. Born in the echoes
7. Push the Button
8. We are the night.

I could probably switch around the middle of the list, depending on my mood. 7 and 8 are fixed, though. I was giving up on the band after WATN, but Further was very strong (I know a lot of people don't like that it's more conceptual and doesn't really have a banger besides Horse Power, but I love it all). BITE was alright, mostly EML, I'll see you there, and Reflexion.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:04 PM
iamneorev
pants

01 Surrender
02 Dig Your Own Hole
03 Exit Planet Dust
04 We Are The Night
05 Further
06 Come With Us
07 Born In The Echoes
08 Push The Button

Nothing will ever beat Surrender for me abd it includes the Chems greatest track ever... Let Forever Be. I really love We Are The Night. It was a breath of fresh air after the disappointing Push The Button. Further was the closest they got to capturing their classic album trilogy sound. It's a shame Don't Think was relegated to a bonus track as it is an awesome song and deserves a spot on that album. I do wish Escape Velocity was a bit later in the tracklist as I feel it kinda kills the build up Snow creates and its length makes it an odd track 2. I rather it went into Another World. I'd like Horse Power... if it didn't have the horse neighs in it. Come With Us has some b-sides that are stronger than its album tracks. Push The Button and Born In The Echoes are the only albums of theirs that I cannot put on without skipping tracks. Even the others albums rank lower in my list like Further and Come With Us, I can still listen to them from front to back. But PTB and BITE, many tracks just don't do it for me.

P.S. Massive Attack Mezzanine reissue has been delayed until 2019. It seems someone f'ed up something cuz even the digital release got pushed back. A part of me wishes they'd use the time to add Mezzanine album era's b-sides to the set. It bugs me when these album reissues ignore b-sides.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:56 PM
holden
collateral damage

Not going to debate your ranking, and I agree with a lot if your song opinions, but as for "Let Forever Be"... let's just admit that the Brothers have been trying repeatedly to recreate the Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows". I feel like "I'll See you there" gets closest to the psychedelic spirit, whereas "Let Forever Be", on an adventurous album, feels like a "Setting Sun" retread, but weaker.