sikk

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010
Old 07-12-2010, 11:38 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by //\/\/ View Post
indeed. ones where they're not covered in armour in case they get a scwatch on their weg...
Are you kidding me? American football has players colliding into each other at full speed (who are twice as big as soccer players) on every single play. There are tons of huge injuries in the game despite the pads they wear. Rag on American football if you want but calling these guys soft is so ignorant I wouldn't be able to take you seriously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
Basically, every argument about why football is a superior sport has been proven to be bullshit by this World Cup.
Sadly, I mostly have to agree, although I did enjoy many of the games, the main things that stood out for me was the reffing (and how the refs can basically singlehandedly take your team out of the tournament regardless of any actual rules or even an explanation of what they thought they saw) and the shameful degree of flopping (especially in the final). I do enjoy the flops however since they are funny in slo-mo replay, but the game doesn't really feel like a competition when it's done to that level. I realize American sports have their flaws but after watching most of the WC matches I just can't see any American wanting to start following soccer now. For referece I would say it reminded me most of the 2006 NBA finals where the refs whistled anyone who even breathed on Wade...you have to ask, how is this even a sport anymore?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:13 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Quote:
Basically, every argument about why football is a superior sport has been proven to be bullshit by this World Cup.
bollocks.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:14 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Quote:
Just admit that your precious footballers are a bunch of faking, whining, pussies.
google roy keane. then piss off.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:38 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

well here in america one of our college football players cut off his own pinky just to play the rest of the season...just sayin'
i'll accept that soccer players are generally a bunch of louts but i don't see how BLD's statement is false. seriously, in what other sport will you see a team go up by one point and then spend the rest of the game faking injuries and making pointless substitutions to burn clock. when our football players get carried off in a stretcher they sure as hell don't hop off and walk around once they get on the sidelines (*cough* *cough* Ghana)
Old 07-12-2010, 02:59 PM
chuck
i'm getting older too

Send a message via ICQ to chuck Send a message via AIM to chuck
No.

What's been proven is that some of us can only appreciate one sport.

Whereas others are happy seeing the best and the worst in any sport.

For example - when I think NFL - I think 3 hours sitting on the couch talking shit with a mate, eating pretzels and drinking light beers, and arguing about TV replays, wondering where Doug Williams ended up, and laughing at what a dumb ass Leon Lett was/is.

When I think football - I think a session at the pub, talking shit with mates, drinking pints, a couple of packets of crisps and abusing the ref, remember the greatness of the Arsenal offside trap of the early 90's - laughing at Ronaldo, discussing why Chelsea fans are pillocks and so on.

When I think rugby - I think mates, cheering the haka, beers, drinking with the opposing fans, a few songs, and beers, hearty banter, big hits, several "smashed 'em bro!" moments, some more beer, telling the ref to fuck off - and then shutting up when you watch the replay. Good times basically.

It's all about perspective BLD - it's only a game after all.

I have enjoyed watching this World Cup - not just because of the All Whites - I reckon it's not been an all time classic - but it's all good - only 4 more years till the next one.

Thoughts turn now to watching some of the Tour at 6am in the morning - the Premiership is almost upon us, and my fantasy squad of mid-table no-hopers is due to be assembled for pre-season drinks - and for those of you that missed it - the Tri-Nations has begun. And the Blackness open their 2010 campaign by beating the Bokke comprehensively. As I said - good times!

Bakkies Botha - munter of the season award (so far). Cowan held his jersey - Botha decided to take it on himself to sort Cowan out - Botha ended up with a sore head - and a 9 week suspension.

See - you can't do that in football or NFL can you.

- S. Colbert

Last edited by chuck; 07-12-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:02 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Quote:
American football players NEVER fake injury. They get hit every single play.
guess they get good drugs to keep 'em going
Old 07-12-2010, 03:21 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

I enjoyed the experience of the World Cup. Watched it every day it was on. I will enjoy watching 4 rounds of the British Open like I enjoyed watching Wimbledon, like I enjoyed watching the NCAA Final Four, like I enjoyed watching the NFL/NBA playoffs, like I enjoy watching the Tour De France etc. etc. I enjoy watching lots of sports but I also like to be realistic. Soccer/Football is full of a bunch of pussies. The faking/diving/crying that goes on is absurd. The supporters who claim it's superior because the game doesn't stop are fooling themselves. To say they are tougher because they don't wear pads is so fucking absurd, it's useless to argue. I watch all kinds of sports and I find faults in all of them. If only people like Ian could admit the serious flaws in their beloved sport, I wouldn't have to continue to make the point.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Rog
the fuckest upest

Quote:
complete bollocks! or are over 700 million world cup final viewers all wrong?