old man einstein

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010
Old 06-18-2010, 02:03 PM
matt
old man einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by cured View Post
So what's the deal with game 3 for England and the US? If both tie, does the US advance based on goals scored if both teams play to, say 1-1?
Yes, England would have to draw 3-3 and USA 0-0 for England to advance
Old 06-18-2010, 02:04 PM
cured
sikk

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
what happens if the US draws 0-0 and England draws 2-2?
Old 06-18-2010, 02:05 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Quote:
I ran out of booze following the Lakers win over the Celtics in game 7 of the NBA finals last night.
too bad!

Quote:
So what's the deal with game 3 for England and the US? If both tie, does the US advance based on goals scored if both teams play to, say 1-1?
something dreadful like if you draw 1-1 and we draw 2-2 then it'll come down to drawing lots interesting new way to go out of a tournament!

Quote:
I'd say England should have an easier time with Slovenia; the US shredded them in the second half. It'd just be nice to see my country playing with a lead for once.
not if we play like that - slovenia look a far more technically accomplished team than algeria - we got away with a draw only because they have nothing up front - i think you'll take them apart.

Quote:
Back to today's game: you're right. The passing was just awful, even when they had a play in mind. It was on set pieces that I felt they just didn't know what they wanted to do. I felt they were pressing towards the end, launching shots from 35 meters out and going away from trying to get through-balls to the guys standing at the 18. They had some decent chances but, most of the time, they held onto the ball too long.

I'm surprised a country as advanced in the game as England is playing the wait-and-see approach to attacking; I thought they'd be one-touch passing into the box with regularity. What the hell is up with that?
you're as baffled as all of us, believe me. playing heskey certainly robs rooney of the space he needs; but this wasn't about that - it was just rubbish. no excuses. booed off - and i've never heard that before at a world cup; but deservedly so.

Quote:
Back to the US: we can cry and whine about getting jobbed by the refs but giving up those two goals so easily has those types of consequences.
not that you could do anything about the first - fantastic shot.

Quote:
As far as officiating, it is surprising that in the showcase tournament, they're essentially using training referees when there are plenty of quality officials out there. Not to say this happened in any way but what's to stop a ref who knows he's only going to officiate one or two matches from taking a few coin to skew the result of one group match? When you don't go with proven commodities, all sorts of things can happen.
i still think that bribery intimations are wrong, whatever you might think. reffing really isn't easy - overhead views and replays are fine; but the ref isn't able to look everywhere. certainly the standards will vary in the early stages - we've seen over-officious, card-happy and a bit dozy at times. but again; it's part of the humanity of the sport. it's another uncertain element - it leads to us talking and arguing and gnashing teeth and being relieved and praising and swearing. it's like life again...

Last edited by //\/\/; 06-18-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:09 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
as the commentator put it - ''it feels like 2 years since england scored''
Old 06-18-2010, 02:10 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Quote:
what happens if the US draws 0-0 and England draws 2-2?
can't see either happening - you'll beat algeria easily - 3-0 at least. they're hopeless.

and as for us scoring 2?
Old 06-18-2010, 02:13 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

I have an idea to make this less confusing.

PLAY THE FUCKING GAME UNTIL THERE'S A WINNER!

American's don't like soccer because it's so fucking annoying. A point for a tie? This isn't the fucking Special Olympics, but then again, maybe it is the way the England team played.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:13 PM
bas_I_am
vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
There's no right answer to that question because all sports have their flaws. I will say that games should never end in ties and penalty kicks/shootouts should never determine a winner, especially in the Championship game.

edit: I will list sports that are more exciting to watch than 'football/soccer'

Basketball
Hockey
Lacrosse
Table Tennis
Tennis
Water Polo
Cycling
Softball
Handball
Racketball
Ultimate Frisbee
Jai Alai
Marbles
Checkers
Hop Scotch
Double Dutch
Cricket
Let me add...

Competitive paint drying
Old 06-18-2010, 02:16 PM
cured
sikk

Quote:
Originally Posted by //\/\/ View Post
i still think that bribery intimations are wrong, whatever you might think. reffing really isn't easy - overhead views and replays are fine; but the ref isn't able to look everywhere. certainly the standards will vary in the early stages - we've seen over-officious, card-happy and a bit dozy at times. but again; it's part of the humanity of the sport. it's another uncertain element - it leads to us talking and arguing and gnashing teeth and being relieved and praising and swearing. it's like life again...
It isn't like us Americans don't have referees in our sports. Criticizing referees is part of our culture.

Plus, there's that whole Tim Donaghy thing. Ref who bet on games, even the ones he officiated, because he knew the culture of referees and how the league preferred them to call games.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:18 PM
matt
old man einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
I have an idea to make this less confusing.

PLAY THE FUCKING GAME UNTIL THERE'S A WINNER!

American's don't like soccer because it's so fucking annoying. A point for a tie? This isn't the fucking Special Olympics, but then again, maybe it is the way the England team played.
You're a strange one aren't you.

Why not just watch your American "World" Series and let the people here who enjoy football post in this thread. Is the concept of a draw, sorry tie, that abhorrent to you? Nice comment about the "Special" Olympics too.