Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:59 AM
markreed
mouseman

Re: 2015-03-06 London - Hyde and Price
It certainly felt a lot more rigid than RFH. Having seen the Smith/Hyde/Emerson, Smith/Hyde, Smith/Hyde/Price, and now Hyde/Price, the Rick-less version of the band is the least convincing. I know Rick can't help being ill, but I overheard conversation around this outside from others that they couldn't tell what Darren actually did apart from press "start" and "stop". (Harsh!). Certainly on some of them, I think there were sections where the whole song is largely preconfigured and arranged and Darren's role is to ensure that the set runs on autopilot.

Since drum machines don't get tired, I can't see why the set was 25 minutes shorter than RFH, apart from the fact that too many instrumental tracks would highlight Rick's absence even more. The band could've come on at 8.30, and play an extra 45 minutes of say, "Pearls Girl", "Jumbo", "Two Months Off", "Crocodile", "Always Loved A Film", "Dark Train", etc. The whole evening did feel it had an element of 'waiting for the hits' from the crowd.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:34 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishBash View Post
It was a DJ set. I was asking about this on the Bristol thread pre-gig yesterday, Steve Hall was mentioned but I don't know for sure who was DJing. Even a guy at the venue could only tell me it was a "very special guest dj"
I saw a picture and can confirm that it's Steve Hall.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:24 PM
skyscraper101
river

I only noticed one bit of deviation from the script from Darren, which was when the kick and hi-hats were temporarily muted out of Nuxx, and even then I couldn't tell if that was pre-programmed (possibly by Rick?). Re-watching Everything Everything again now, and it all seems so far away,,,,
Old 03-07-2015, 05:39 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
I also rewatched E,E the other night! Never gets old.

Well, you all are lucky to see Karl and Darren live. Of course I hope that Rick feels better soon. But the dubno show is a pretty rigid gig...I think I'd rather hear some improvisation and some other tracks tossed in the MUX. But then, its been a long time since UW have ventured to America, and we will take what we can get! As in, additional shows beyond the Hollywood Bowl?!
Old 03-07-2015, 05:52 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

It was excellent anyway, just to hear tracks live for the first time *ever* (for me) Smithless does make it feel a bit Wizard of Oz-y, but this show is atill miles better than the shows they've dialled in since, ooooh, Dazza got binned off and they got noodly. Crowd was great - yes we talked during slower tunes; but it's a gig not your headphones. It was also great to meet Stimpee and Jason Roth after Sooooo, so many years! Last night is high up there as one of the best uw gigs I've ever seen....
Old 03-08-2015, 04:46 AM
whatmakesustick

Quote:
Originally Posted by //\/\/ View Post
It was excellent anyway....
YEAH, some positivity in this thread. I (underworld fan) was with some friends (not underworld fans, just fans of a good night night), and we had a fantastic time at the gig. Nice touch with the warm up too

So some people used the slower tracks to grab a beer...so what! They wanted to party and why not at a jammed Hammy Apollo on Friday night with a great atmosphere. I thought Tongue sounded much better at the Apollo than the RFH by the way, even with people talking!

All the upbeat tracks were brilliantly received including Bigmouth with people digging the harmonica. And finishing with Nuxx for the 3000+ crowd on a Friday night was perfect.

What's with all Price bashing. He was on/off stage during the RFH show helping Rick and this show ran smoothly with him at the controls. Hats off to Pricey for stepping in and rocking.

Okay, there is less improv at these gigs, but i don't see how much improv there can be at a 'playing album from start to finish' show. I love the improv and track mixing, too, but we have not had too much of that lately. The last was probably the Oblivion gigs, but the atmosphere and response what much better at the Apollo than the roundhouse gigs.

Last edited by whatmakesustick; 03-08-2015 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:26 AM
nbeazy
river

Hey guys - This show was incredible to me, but I can understand the air of negativity. I am a fairly young American transplant studying here in London, young enough so that I would have been maybe 11? since the last time UW made it to Chicago, so obviously this was my first real chance to see the guys without traveling to Ultra or some place too far for a youngin to go.

Dubnobass has been one of the seminal electronic albums for me, one of the ones that truly sucked me in to the genre when I first heard it, so naturally this was going to be an experience for me. I, too, was sad to see Rick's absence, but all in all it was incredible. I wish I had been around for the days of Karl going nuts on stage - he was still dancing around a bit, but clearly it's catching up to him these days. Bigmouth was definitely received well by myself and the crowd - too bad some of them wanted to leave to refill during the slower tracks, but I loved them - they are just as much a part of dubnobass as any of the other tracks. The only things I was left longing for in the end was a) for them to keep going forever and b) hear them do Dark Train, especially because I know they had done it for the RFH show (I had just arrived in London the day before that show so logistically it didn't work out for me to attend).

All in all, first time underworld gig for me - I know it won't live up to the epicness it once was, but it was still epic for me!
Old 03-08-2015, 05:30 AM
nbeazy
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
I also rewatched E,E the other night! Never gets old.

Well, you all are lucky to see Karl and Darren live. Of course I hope that Rick feels better soon. But the dubno show is a pretty rigid gig...I think I'd rather hear some improvisation and some other tracks tossed in the MUX. But then, its been a long time since UW have ventured to America, and we will take what we can get! As in, additional shows beyond the Hollywood Bowl?!
Hey... we can hold out that one of the Chicago summer fests will snag them as a surprise. It's been a while since Lollapalooza was able to get something REAL interesting on their lineup, and North Coast was able to snag The Chem Bros a few years back... anything is possible..
Old 03-08-2015, 05:45 AM
markreed
mouseman

http://www.thefinalword.co.uk/content/view/1304/35/

review and pics and typos.

Hmm. Not trying to show negativity here, let's be clear on that. However, not announcing before the show that Rick Smith isn't performing? That's poor manners.

Simply put, we have commitment bias (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalation_of_commitment). We've spent the money, cleared the diary, made the journey, and well... we're at the show. If you'd've told me when tickets went on sale, that it would have been Price/Hyde, and not Smith/Hyde, maybe I wouldn't've bought a ticket. Maybe. Managing expectations is no bad thing.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:19 AM
skyscraper101
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatmakesustick View Post
Okay, there is less improv at these gigs, but i don't see how much improv there can be at a 'playing album from start to finish' show. I love the improv and track mixing, too, but we have not had too much of that lately. The last was probably the Oblivion gigs, but the atmosphere and response what much better at the Apollo than the roundhouse gigs.
That's why I think the idea of playing this album track for track isn't such a hot idea. The only advantage was I knew exactly when to go to the toilets (during surfboy lol). I thought the Roundhouse gigs were actually way better. Except for the graphics and lights, which were better on this tour. But the Roundhouse had more improvisation, more variation of tracks from across the albums. More energy overall. Also the version of mmm...skyscraper they did on the second night in 08 was possibly the best version I ever heard. Rick brought it out of nowhere, and completely amped up the b-line. God I sound like a geek. Fact is, they're getting older. Karl barely danced on Friday. He sounded down about Rick not being there when he explained his absence. Darren Price was cool but he doesn't seek the limelight and seems happy enough just to do the job but not play to the crowd. He just pointed to Karl for all the applause. I can't see how they can ever return to being the band I saw back in 1996 when I was 15 and its a shame but the clocks can't be turned back and I'm just thankful I was there, then.

Last edited by skyscraper101; 03-08-2015 at 09:21 AM.