Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 AM
khouri
khondo dweller

Re: Karl Hyde: cut clouds
I love all this kind of stuff the guys do on the side. On balance I'd say about half of Underworld's output is what for argument's sake I'll call "dance" and the other half is "chill," and I can't think of many electronic acts who operate that way. And I confess that as I get older and find myself sitting behind a desk more often than not, I really appreciate having this kind of music to keep me company.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:29 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

The more I think about it, the less I feel they would split up now. I had a gut fear of it when first presented as a possibility (especially after how quiet it's been). I don't think they'll be doing much more rave style stuff as rave has been dead for years and years and we're left with hardcore and what not there. *shiver* I definitely think they will keep up with dance music though. They love it to much, they love the stage to much to give it up. As for what shape and style that will take? We'll see in mexico in a few months. I think it might be a healthy thing for them to take creative leave of each other for a short time (only been 20+ years straight, and 30+ overall) and bring their separate creative findings and musings back together. Worked out well for orbital, though not all the parallels hold up there.

I like this track, I've listened to the river run quite a bit and this feels like a harkening towards that again. More layering of karl's vocals? I love it when I feel that there's a choir of him in my headphones

Also today's diary is a tease... Sure you can tell us karl, but you don't!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Andrea
light at heart

I love their dance tracks and all that good energy on concerts that comes with it,
the Radio 1 recording from Ibiza is still my favourite, but I have nothing against hearing his smooth voice alternated with Ricks ambient tracks for a while

btw...Efterklang is coming to my town so I´m going to see them on Friday. I have been thinking many times that Karls voice would fit that band so well. A future collaboration would make me happy, similar to that he made with Eno.

Last edited by Andrea; 01-16-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:35 AM
the mongoose
talks to God

Sounds good, thanks!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:39 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Great track! What's next? For Rick and for Karl and Underworld? It's time for another shake and change!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:36 PM
chems1919
mouseman

Wow, I'm really loving that sound. I'm a sucker for those dream-like pad sounds. It reminds me of the track 'Pain' on the Max Payne 3 soundtrack (minus the vocals):

I hope we get more info soon about the solo album.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 AM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twicezero View Post
sneak preview ...
I want more!!! UW's ambient tracks get played the most in my library, especially I'm a Big Sister... oh how I love Peach Tree.

This kind of reminds me a little of Louisiana blended in with Sigur Ros singing in English. Not a bad combination. I'm definitely excited about this!

Last edited by ultradave; 01-18-2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: ebow
Old 01-22-2013, 11:41 AM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
Very excited about this... I can't wait to hear more
Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Karl Hyde to perform solo at SonarSound. Discuss.

http://www.sonarsound.jp/ja/nw/_46#.UP8AJaFdfv5

(Thanks to our friends at darktrain.jp for pointing this out and translating.)

Quote:
Karl Hyde (with Underworld DJ Darren Price) flew in at very short notice, performing as the Underworld DJs for Sonar Sound Tokyo 2011, in support of the victims of the Great East Japan Earthquake. 2013 sees Karl Hyde, together with a group of hand picked musicians, embark on a series of solo shows to perform some of his new songs as well as rediscovered and reworked gems from the Underworld vaults. For a brief taste of what to expect.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:39 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Very interested to see who is playing in support. Brian Eno? Jon Hopkins? folks from Freur or UW mk i?

Also, those rediscovered overlooked UW gems... would love to hear some truly rare tracks or wild remixes, not so much a blues version of "Born Slippy", but i suspect we'll get the latter.