Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:05 PM
twicezero
mouseman

Re: Beaucoup Fish - 4 CD Remastered Deluxe Box Set (8/25/2017)
1998-11-02 Reeperbahn - Mojo Club, Grosse Freiheit - Hamburg, Germany - is really good quality, though I can't work out if its a mix of 2 shows.

The 2nd version of King Of Snake is interesting, as the track listed as Improvisation after continues into Ramajama... Same as the temptation gig but a clearer recording...

However I can't find any shows from before that that have interesting versions of king of snake? Anyone suggest any?
Old 09-02-2017, 03:23 PM
negative1

Checking out the booklet that came with it. Enjoying the original album artwork and singles.

Not really digging the socio-political and statistics on every other page, the artwork is ok,
but i don't like the text that goes with it.

3 out 5 for the booklet.

later
Old 09-05-2017, 09:00 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post

For me, the track that has dated the most is Moaner, and I was disappointed that there were no off-cuts or early versions in this box set, particularly as there is the awesome Relentless Legs mix.
My theory as to why there aren't any "Moaner" variations on the deluxe edition:

I wonder if there's a bit of U2's "Mofo" in the DNA of "Moaner"*

{bit of a reminder, U2 + UW collaborated on a song, where Bono walked around outside singing / speaking lyrics into a microphone, while the rest of the band jammed inside the studio. The track didn’t get released because “it sounded like an UW remix of a u2 song, instead of a collaboration” (or something to that effect).}

I had always assumed that U2 had basically finished what we know as the album version of “Mofo”, then that was used as source material for their collaboration… But, now knowing how late U2 were still mixing & recording material for “Pop”, and how early UW’s recording sessions for what would become “Beaucoup Fish” - I’m not so sure that was the case.

It’s much more likely that U2 only had elements of a song, which were brought to UW for them to ‘jam out’ until they created “Mofo”

I mean... is it just me, or does the outro of the "Album Version" of Moaner (off the single & the Batman soundtrack) sound a lot like "Mofo"?

Or even... U2's "Pop Muzik" - the super long outro (which also uses the "Mofo" baseline) - sounds very UW-ish to me...

* kinda like how it was recently 'discovered' that the Rolling Stones' "It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)" was originally a Bowie / Jagger collab, but Keith insisted that it should be a "Stones song" - so they just added overdubs onto the original
Old 09-05-2017, 12:10 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

No, we had this discussion before, remember?

Underworld and U2 collaborated on Mofo. But it remains unreleased.

Unrelatedly, they needed a song for Batman & Robin. It was going to be an REM collaboration, until it wasn't. Karl laid down lyrics instead of Stipe, and Moaner was born.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	060612.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	386   Click image for larger version

Name:	081207a.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	387   Click image for larger version

Name:	081207b.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	388  
Old 09-05-2017, 02:04 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

Maybe the lack of Moaner outtakes has something to do with publishing? IIRC it's got a different rights situation on account of appearing first on the film's soundtrack?
Old 09-05-2017, 03:40 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
No, we had this discussion before, remember?

Underworld and U2 collaborated on Mofo. But it remains unreleased.

Unrelatedly, they needed a song for Batman & Robin. It was going to be an REM collaboration, until it wasn't. Karl laid down lyrics instead of Stipe, and Moaner was born.

wow - I remember this topic coming up before, but I didn't remember that discussion at all...

It's also weird to read my old comments... I was very 'authoritative' back then, huh?

So... okay...

U2 + UW did collaborate on a version of 'mofo' which remains unreleased, but "Mofo" has nothing to do with "Moaner" - even though they were recorded (somewhat) around the same time
Old 09-07-2017, 01:04 PM
markreed
mouseman

The early version of U2's "Mofo" was on a promo industry sizzle reel : https://soundcloud.com/mrmarkreed/mofo-demo-version

The released version clearly borrows a lot from the genre, even if it has no Underworld left in it.

Also, "Moaner" might be restricted from re-release by whatever deal UW did with Warners for the Batman Soundtrack. Besides which, generally Warners etc., have synchronisation rights so reissues of soundtrack-only material is something that is very very low on their list of priorities and probably more hassle than they can bothered with.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:45 PM
darktrain