Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:15 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

Re: Beaucoup Fish - 4 CD Remastered Deluxe Box Set (8/25/2017)
Two discs of outsourced garbage. Those remixes were crap then and they're even worse now. Underworld has always been better than everyone else, nobody has done these tracks justice. Truly astonished that they're not loading up this set with material from what's unquestionably the zenith of Underworld Live, not to mention Anti-Rom and the Lemonworld tracks from the era. This really could have been the most auspicious of the reissues and instead it's the least.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:46 PM
nelfun5
dog

Send a message via MSN to nelfun5
Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
Two discs of outsourced garbage. Those remixes were crap then and they're even worse now. Underworld has always been better than everyone else, nobody has done these tracks justice. Truly astonished that they're not loading up this set with material from what's unquestionably the zenith of Underworld Live, not to mention Anti-Rom and the Lemonworld tracks from the era. This really could have been the most auspicious of the reissues and instead it's the least.
Amen to that.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:23 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

personally, i think we're being a little 'fan boy' unfair to this release...

I think its pretty comprehensive - its 4 discs (remastered)

its the remastered original album - which obviously everyone owns, but that's the point of the remaster...
a complete disc of totally unheard of takes, tracks and exclusives that Rick has dug out, be grateful for this!!!!

and two discs sets of remixes

this is all of the remixes of the singles (or the essential remixes) including at least three never released remixes (the DJ Zinc mix of Bruce Lee is really good tbf).

you have to remember this album was released at the time of peak single remixing and publicity - this album was like The Phantom Menace when it came to marketing and licencing and remixing it up for a wider audience. (is it because it came out in the same year perhaps??)

the Italian KOS mixes were really hard to get hold of at the time, and a lot of the stuff was vinyl / promo only.

I don't think putting any live tracks on these releases is a great idea, i know they put a whole disc of BS versions on the the STITI release, but this was to highlight the track progression, rather than to give us the 'best' live versions. Live needs to be separated out imo.

this album also gave us a route to EE and that is the 'live disc' that should accompany this release.

maybe we'll get a More Everything Everything remaster later...

i reckon that there are a fair few fans out there who will want all of these tracks on one set, like this...

but i also reckon that there are a fair few fan boys on here who basically have every version of every track off this album already - regardless of how it was packaged - they would still bloody moan about something being missed...

remixes of Underworld tracks are contentious (and are with every band), but also i think in this case essential.

This LP release finally got Underworld into a much wider market, with the various 'genre remixes' of the singles. and i think they need to be on here.

whether you like it or not, remixing makes the world go round...

anyway, i think we should embrace this release, could it have been better possibly, but i wouldn't remove any of the content, just add another disc
Old 08-01-2017, 05:33 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Amen to that, BSS!
I got into UW around the BF era and indeed did seek out as much as possible, remixes included. Would it have been awesome to have the Blue Mountain gig remastered? Sure, but I can still enjoy the old UWlive downloaded version, along with a lot of other tracks and live cuts made available in that era. Of the other box sets, I only really listen to the rarities discs, occasionally the remastered lp, because I have most everything else. It's hard to please everyone, but I'd like to believe that some thought went into collating this box set, including rate remixes that even some of the most devoted fans won't have and the other remixes that a less obsessed fan might not have.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:25 AM
Dino3D
pants

No double CD edition? That's a shame, but now I don't have to spend money on this reissue.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:33 AM
purlieu
enofa

I think the problem really is that two of those discs aren't produced by Underworld. I thought there might well have been a single disc of remixes, but half the set given over to other people's productions just seems lacking in actual Underworld. Do we need both Hype & Zinc versions of Bruce Lee?

And in terms of fanboyisms, surely a 4CD set like this is mostly aimed at fanboys. The lack of 2CD set really suggests that they're not pursuing a more 'casual buyer' approach this time around.

I just can't imagine many people playing, in particular, disc 3 on a regular basis.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:36 PM
negative1

I think the first boxset was the best, 2nd toughest was better than this one.

Maybe sales weren't what was expected for the others, and so the budget for this might have been less, and therefore less material.

I wonder if they will do anymore after this. Maybe they will all just be 2xCD deluxe releases.

Maybe one more release would be worth a super deluxe treatment, but i'm having a hard time seeing more given this treatment.

later
Old 08-01-2017, 01:46 PM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlieu View Post
I think the problem really is that two of those discs aren't produced by Underworld. I thought there might well have been a single disc of remixes, but half the set given over to other people's productions just seems lacking in actual Underworld. Do we need both Hype & Zinc versions of Bruce Lee?

And in terms of fanboyisms, surely a 4CD set like this is mostly aimed at fanboys. The lack of 2CD set really suggests that they're not pursuing a more 'casual buyer' approach this time around.

I just can't imagine many people playing, in particular, disc 3 on a regular basis.
This. Though I guess I'm not playing the disc of different Nuxx mixes and live versions from STITI boxset on a regular basis either, at least it was their own mixes and live stuff. And now we get an Underworld boxset with no live tracks on it?? From one of the most prolific live eras of their career? That's just wrong. Who else is gonna buy this but fanboys (and girls)? By all means have a disc of the best remixes but disc 4 should have been a live set/collection, no question about it.
It doesn't even have their own awesome Moaner Relentless Legs mix on there but hey here's six fucking remixes of King of Snake by other people.
That second disk better be good.

SAD!

Last edited by King of Snake; 08-01-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:05 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

Perhaps Everything Everything is due for a reissue itself? That could include loads of extra stuff on bonus discs. Imagine, a four or five-disc Underworld Live release, circa 1998-2000? The holy grail, surely.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:57 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
Perhaps Everything Everything is due for a reissue itself? That could include loads of extra stuff on bonus discs. Imagine, a four or five-disc Underworld Live release, circa 1998-2000? The holy grail, surely.

We can only hope!!!