Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:32 AM
kowalski__
mouseman

Re: OWB Reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBurnout
I don't think it's unbelievable because, let's face it, most reviewers have probably only reviewed UW albums since BS Nuxx became such a phenomenon, and, unless they really are fans, have probably only listened to each release once. They need to have some kind of yardstick by which to measure, and Nuxx seems to be it, in those circumstances.

For a lot of people Nuxx is the only thing they know from Underworld, which is a real shame because, imo, it is far from their best piece ever and while it was something of a zeitgeist, things have moved on a great deal in music since.

yeah, its a stomper and cheesy song for me.. uncut magazine is also saying that "they come perilously close to turning into faithless", "hyde sounds like missing link between jg ballard and mike skinner", "finely polished album but low on guts, grit or urgency".

its not a surprise for a magazine who obsessed with bob dylan. :-) (well, i've always been a neil young fan)

only thing i agree that i read nearly all books by ballard and yeah, rick sometimes reminds me a lot of ballard texts.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:56 AM
BufoBufo
blacknylonjacket

OWB under a glass slide at AngryApe:

http://angryape.com/reviews/2007/10/...ion-with-bells

I agree with what was said about DiS - the comments seem more interesting than the review.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Blueski
árni grétar

Send a message via MSN to Blueski
http://wc09.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?...0:j9fwxzwhld6e

allmusic.com review.

http://musicmp3.ru/review_underworld...ith-bells.html

musicmp3.ru review.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:33 AM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

Is it just me or has no one else noticed that this is Underworld's 9th studio album, not their 5th or 7th?
1. Freur
2. Get Us Out Of Here!
3. Underneath The Radar
4. Change The Weather
5. Dubnobasswithmyheadman
6. Second Toughest In The Infants
7. Beaucoup Fish
8. A Hundred Days Off
9. Oblivion With Bells
Old 10-27-2007, 03:26 PM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3
Is it just me or has no one else noticed that this is Underworld's 9th studio album, not their 5th or 7th?
1. Freur
2. Get Us Out Of Here!
3. Underneath The Radar
4. Change The Weather
7. Beaucoup Fish
8. A Hundred Days Off
9. Oblivion With Bells
but 1 + 2 were not released under the Underworld name.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:01 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3
1. Freur
2. Get Us Out Of Here!
3. Underneath The Radar
4. Change The Weather
7. Beaucoup Fish
8. A Hundred Days Off
9. Oblivion With Bells
it all depends on where you start counting. Personally I'd rather not count Underworld Mk1 and Freur in the same list as UW Mk2 and 3
Old 10-28-2007, 09:40 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Snake
it all depends on where you start counting. Personally I'd rather not count Underworld Mk1 and Freur in the same list as UW Mk2 and 3
same
totally different stuff.
plus, it's useless on a critical standpoint
everything reset with mk2
Old 10-29-2007, 05:59 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman
same
totally different stuff.
plus, it's useless on a critical standpoint
everything reset with mk2

Underworld as we know them starts with mk2, the Steppin Razor/Lemon Interrupt/Dubno period, 1992-93. But from the sounds of the unreleased demos from ~1990 as well as the "freur" track "Alabaster White Thing", Rick and Karl were moving toward more electronic/less synth-funk territories prior to Emerson (but let's not get into the did Daz make UW/UW make Daz arguments again!).

I think we might have to make UW mkiV, since mk3 (AHDO, RiverRun) is presumably just Rick and Karl, but with the soundtracks, live shows and OWB, Darren Price has apparently played some part in programming. He's not just part of "Underworld Live"...he's helping shape the songs in the studio.

Alternatively, though the sonic experiements of RiverRun and OWB are definitely the new direction of UW, i feel that unlike previous records (especially AHDO), OWB is the most self-referential. The call-backs to their more rock-oriented past and the epic feel of Dubno/STITI have been noted. So maybe we are in UW mk1b?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:19 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

i think, considering how the directional changes have been more drastic between beaucoup fish and dubno, yet it still stayed mk2, and the fact that darren priced helped but still isnt part of them officially, we should maybe hold off on that.
if we start making markers for them based on sound we could make an argument to split any album, and that's just silly.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:51 AM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden
Underworld as we know them starts with mk2, the Steppin Razor/Lemon Interrupt/Dubno period, 1992-93. But from the sounds of the unreleased demos from ~1990 as well as the "freur" track "Alabaster White Thing", Rick and Karl were moving toward more electronic/less synth-funk territories prior to Emerson (but let's not get into the did Daz make UW/UW make Daz arguments again!).
also don't forget that 'Mother Earth' was played live by mk1.