Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:25 AM
CaliWeed
river

A hooray for non-album-like renditions of Push Upstairs - so live
Allow me to ask some things about the coming-about of the differences in lyrical treatment by Underworld of Push Upstairs.

Listening, after i eagerly pressed play, to Push Upstairs of Beaucoup Fish (album version) since years, I realised I completely prefer the live versions I know best, and love (a lot - as Push Upstairs is a huge one in the entire/sublime UW discography). I refer to the live versions as the one during the live Lemonworld Boradcast of may 2006 (from 24:55 min - you can hear here: http://3voor12.vpro.nl/nieuws/2006/m...voor12bpm.html).
Anyone like-minded here? It's about the timing of the lyrics. Would you Dirties agree this shows how important it is a group is willing to agree a song can change and should be able to undergo different approaches onwards/live?

It is very intriguing I think. So i hope you find this deserves a thread here. I am wondering a bit if the whole progression as I see it around Push Upstairs has felt like typical album vs. live. It's a breakthrough it seems for the legendary UW lads. Now I'm crossing unnecessary gossip-lines maybe...in the wildly fascinating world of the history of Underworld recording/performing .
Old 06-07-2015, 04:31 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

Re: A hooray for non-album-like renditions of Push Upstairs - so live
The variety of renditions has fueled my passion for this band, and as opposed to making the studio versions less special, the opposite has happened. They become the blue print and the starting point and showcase, all the more, the improvisations and liberties taken on stage. The Birmingham/Roundhouse '07 Rez/Cowgirl and Dark Train pairings are personal favorites.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:25 AM
CaliWeed
river

Like Jetpig in previous post says, to emphasize, they, UW, made such wonderful blue prints with their original production-recordings as the top renditions show!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpig View Post
... The Birmingham/Roundhouse '07 Rez/Cowgirl and Dark Train pairings....
Thanks . Such a great performance, and memorable mood-setting (when these sets beginning with it)!
Old 07-31-2015, 08:58 PM
WhiteNoise
I?m good, I?m alright

That performance of Push is absolutely my favorite rendition of the track. I don't know what there is about it but it seems to take on a completely different color and intensity, it's perfect. I'm not a fan of Push Upstairs either, it's the only Underworld song that has never done it for me. But this and one other performance in 98, maybe 99, they change my opinion of the track every time I hear them.