Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:42 AM
crank
I'm a big sister

Re: New Single: Scribble - Digital Download Out Now: Details here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
the release has been pushed back, will have more info to share soon
the SINGLE release or the ALBUM release?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:43 AM
khouri
khondo dweller

There's no question we're taking a step -- if not several steps -- back.

In the long long-ago, you could go to Amazon or CDNOW or even a tangible music store, find the item you wanted, buy it for a decent price (even an import), and enjoy it whatever fashion you liked -- buy it, burn it, rip it, jam it, as the saying goes.

Here in the future, you have to go to pointlessly specific places with almost uniformly shitty interfaces and pay some stupid amount for some dubious file that may or may not be exclusive to that digital source, which means going elsewhere to complete the collection; or you have to scramble to translate a complex Japanese website or stalk eBay auctions and pay out your ass for something that 15 years ago was so easy to obtain.

What Underworld have missed is that iTunes and Amazon's digital music stores are successful in large part because they make it easier to buy music than to hunt down pirated versions. What we're seeing is a script-flip, where it's less hassle to just wait until all the material is available for free, and it's a vexing philosophy Underworld have been practicing in since they went fully indie.

I know I say this a lot but I think it bears repeating: Underworld have a dedicated fanbase who are often literally begging to pay the band money for things, and the band is making it incredibly difficult for us to do that.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:50 AM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
the SINGLE release or the ALBUM release?

uh yeh, I WANT TO KNOW THIS AS WELL!
Old 07-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Mike
born013

Quote:
Originally Posted by testudo View Post
uh yeh, I WANT TO KNOW THIS AS WELL!
The single release
Old 07-07-2010, 02:14 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
There's no question we're taking a step -- if not several steps -- back.

In the long long-ago, you could go to Amazon or CDNOW or even a tangible music store, find the item you wanted, buy it for a decent price (even an import), and enjoy it whatever fashion you liked -- buy it, burn it, rip it, jam it, as the saying goes.

Here in the future, you have to go to pointlessly specific places with almost uniformly shitty interfaces and pay some stupid amount for some dubious file that may or may not be exclusive to that digital source, which means going elsewhere to complete the collection; or you have to scramble to translate a complex Japanese website or stalk eBay auctions and pay out your ass for something that 15 years ago was so easy to obtain.

What Underworld have missed is that iTunes and Amazon's digital music stores are successful in large part because they make it easier to buy music than to hunt down pirated versions. What we're seeing is a script-flip, where it's less hassle to just wait until all the material is available for free, and it's a vexing philosophy Underworld have been practicing in since they went fully indie.

I know I say this a lot but I think it bears repeating: Underworld have a dedicated fanbase who are often literally begging to pay the band money for things, and the band is making it incredibly difficult for us to do that.
you'll be getting accused of getting your panties in a twist if you're not careful.

(100% agree with your thoughts)
Old 07-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

I really couldnt care less about this release...

...no cd/vinyl why bother? In years to come and you are looking at your UW memorabelia from the Barking era I cant imagine myself giving two shits about a download of the album version of scribble and an absolutely bollox Netsky remix. No real physical art work... nothing that has a memory attatched : Instead of holding in your hands a cherished vinyl copy of scribble and remembering the summers eve you walked with a hop in your step home from the record store and put the needle to the groove for the first time on your favorite bands newest single.... these memories will instead be replaced with this:

Name: Scribble
Type: mp3
Path: D:/Music/Underworld/Scribble (Bullshit download, thanks for the cash, love Steve Jobbs xxx).mp3
Date Created: 14/05/2010 14:53:23
Date Modified: 14/05/2010 14:53:26

........oh memories like that will surely bring a tear to my eye and a flutter in my heart...

...get fuckin real and give us something tangible!
Size:
Old 07-08-2010, 06:15 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

weird, i always thought the important part was the music...
Old 07-08-2010, 07:25 AM
lectoid
Is that really you?

Dunwho has a point. I listen to various Underworld songs through out the day, but it's easy and doesn't require much effort.

Go out to a record store and buy the album. Drive home, turn on your stereo and put the album on. This requires much more effort and therefore gives you more memories attached to that effort.

I know when I listen to my records, they receive almost all of my attention. When I listen to my digital audio files, it's in addition to whatever else I'm doing (mowing the lawn, working, playing on the internet, etc.).
Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Mike
born013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
weird, i always thought the important part was the music...
For me, the tactile relationship i have with my underworld collection is an important factor... but i now only buy the stuff i like, because weather i like the music is of equal value.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:01 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
For me, the tactile relationship i have with my underworld collection is an important factor... but i now only buy the stuff i like, because weather i like the music is of equal value.

i agree with this as well as the above about going out and physically buying a record. Even when i have a digital version in advance, i'm not really sold on a record until i hear it on CD, looking at the booklet.

That said, i still have a stong memory of the digital single download of "Scribble" - seemingly out of nowhere, the track was released and made quite an impression. In the same week, the "Good Day Today" mystery was apon us... i have very happy thoughts of listening to those mp3s. But then, i won't be keeping them the same way i collect records, tapes, cds.