Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2010, 01:54 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Re: Bungalow with Stairs album
Rick and Karl made the items they wanted to represent the art they created in exactly the way they wanted. You have a choice to buy it or not. Either buy it or don't buy it but don't bitch because it wasn't released in exactly the format you want for the price you think is fair. It's not your art, it's not your call. Buy it or don't buy it. It's an easy choice.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:34 PM
lowbit
future pundit

Er...by the same token, it's your choice whether or not to read our posts, so you may want to consider not bitching about how you don't like hearing about how we're unhappy with the way that some of the music is being released.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:43 PM
txjaxx
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbit View Post
What Jack White and that Pitchfork piece fail to address is why we should "desire them, hunt to find them, etc". Are they creating work for fans to listen to or collectors to fawn over?
Um, Jack White did address the why.

"we do it because by being a member you're supposedly making a statement that you're a real fan who wants the music, and to be involved in collecting rare and interesting vinyl."

So, move on. Next topic. I mean, did you not order the CD against which you are (still, STILL) so vehemently raving? Yawn. You're boring dah-ling, boring!

You know what's not boring? This CD. It's great. I'm glad it was released. I'm glad I bought it.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:05 PM
lowbit
future pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjaxx View Post
Um, Jack White did address the why.
"we do it because by being a member you're supposedly making a statement that you're a real fan who wants the music, and to be involved in collecting rare and interesting vinyl."

So, move on. Next topic. I mean, did you not order the CD against which you are (still, STILL) so vehemently raving?
You may want to read the article again. The above quote is about why they have their "Vault" program, not about why they put out the ultra-limited release.

As I said above, if you don't want to hear about it, don't read the posts. Feel free to move on to another topic – I'm certainly not stopping you.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:22 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

well - the difference between the Jack White thing and us...

Is that (at least to me) -> The whole "White Stripes deal" was all about having a physical copy of a "collectable" version of a previously issued album. It's just their first album folks, you can get it on amazon, cd shops, etc etc (although not in a "super shiny package")

but what people here were bitching about - stop me if I'm wrong - was more about not having the ability to obtain the actual CONTENT. At least I know all I wanted (until the album was available for sale) was a mp3/wav/aac download (following in line of say, Trent Reznor/ NIN)

and don't people have to PAY for the "Vault Program"????

Also - Jack White is cool and all... but I mean I just don't "get it" sometimes
Old 12-02-2010, 01:47 AM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbit View Post
IMHO more artists should be paying attention to and following the path that Trent Reznor and a few others are blazing, aggressively taking advantage of the latest infrastructure and technology to make their work available to fans at reasonable prices and head off profiteering. It does require some extra care and occasional concessions on distribution methods, but the end result is fans getting more of what they love and artists getting a much greater share of the money spent – a win/win for everyone (except the leeches scalpers, I guess ).
As much as I respect Reznor's progressive approach, to me digital-only releases still aren't as valuable, as significant, as 'beautiful' as physical copies. Even if they comprise tons of additional photos and stuff. That's why I'm hardly ever psyched by an Underworld release if it's digital-only.

With this opinion, I'm probably part of the analogue dinosaurs who will die out, by the by. But I have a feeling that there's still a decent share of music-lovers out there who think along the same lines, and who value CD + artwork over instant availability.

I love that Underworld take an effort in producing quality physical releases, whilst accepting that they have to go with the flow of the great digital data stream. And, of course, I prefer being able to purchase a Bungalow download instead of not having it at all.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:30 AM
negative1

Quote:
Originally Posted by froopy seal View Post
As much as I respect Reznor's progressive approach, to me digital-only releases still aren't as valuable, as significant, as 'beautiful' as physical copies. Even if they comprise tons of additional photos and stuff. That's why I'm hardly ever psyched by an Underworld release if it's digital-only.
what did you thnk of the riverrun project then?

to me, that was some of the best work that they have done..

(although some of the tracks were available on vinyl), it was
mostly a digital release...

i think it was very significant when you look at their long list
of releases..

Quote:
With this opinion, I'm probably part of the analogue dinosaurs who will die out, by the by. But I have a feeling that there's still a decent share of music-lovers out there who think along the same lines, and who value CD + artwork over instant availability.
analog's not going anywhere... in fact, there's been a resurgence of vinyl if anything..
i've seen more underworld vinyl (and from other groups)..in the last decade,
compared to the first that they've been making music... and it's a LOT EASIER
to find now too...

just to be picky, if you're only referring to CD's, i classify those as digital medium
also..

maybe you were referring to just a physical release? but why limit it to CD's only?

later
Old 12-02-2010, 03:44 AM
purlieu
enofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
Basically, Underworld gave us exactly what we wanted but lots of people felt like bitching about it anyway.
I wanted to buy some music for a reasonable price. I don't have £30 to spend on an album at the moment. There's a massive economic crisis in the world and some of us are out of work. By the time I'll have that sort of money there'll be no chance of getting one other than for a ridiculous price on eBay. That's not what I wanted. Congratulations to you and other people for having £35+ at zero notice to have an album shipped to you, not everyone has that. That the availability of music relies on having that sort of financial situation is pretty disgusting.
It's their art, they can do what they want with it, definitely, but that doesn't make them immune to criticism, especially when the availability of their 'art' boils down to favouring those with more money. It's exploitative, it's elitist and it's really quite depressing.

edit: also, I find it kind of hilarious that in the day of independent labels selling records for a fiver and high street retailers and Amazon selling a reasonable proportion of their products for less than a tenner, Underworld are "clearing through some leftover stock" at £30 a pop and people are genuinely calling it artistic reasoning. These discs did not cost more than 50p to make each, and unless each catalogue cost them £20, they're raking in the profit.

Last edited by purlieu; 12-02-2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:55 AM
ThingInABook
vision

there are more copies up for sale and this is the point where i ask for some help:

anyone can buy me a copy? i don't know what the hell is going on with uwlive's store. i still can't pay with paypal and i'm getting the same error everytime ("Paypal does not allow your country of residence to ship to the country you wish to"). the shipping to chile is 9.38quid, making a grand total of 39.83. let's round it to 40quid.

please PM. i've already tried it all: mailing digitalanimal, sending messages to andy, posting angry messages in paypal... nothing has worked

EDIT: thanks everyone for reading, mr TheBang is helping me out right now

Last edited by ThingInABook; 12-02-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:13 AM
lemonjelly
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingInABook View Post
there are more copies up for sale and this is the point where i ask for some help:

anyone can buy me a copy? i don't know what the hell is going on with uwlive's store. i still can't pay with paypal and i'm getting the same error everytime ("Paypal does not allow your country of residence to ship to the country you wish to"). the shipping to chile is 9.38quid, making a grand total of 39.83. let's round it to 40quid.

please PM. i've already tried it all: mailing digitalanimal, sending messages to andy, posting angry messages in paypal... nothing has worked

EDIT: thanks everyone for reading, mr TheBang is helping me out right now
I think the problem is a uwlive/paypal interface type problem. I'm in the UK, & first the catalogue/cd was there last friday, I went home form work forgetting to order it, came back monday - sold out. Tried that afternoon (lord knows why) back in stock! Tried to buy, got a funny paypal message. Emailed sales@underworldlive.com & got an exceedingly helpful reply.

Someone at uwlive kindly drew up a manual receipt, & I have paid & now will wait quite eagerly every day, rushing home from work in the vain hope it has arrived.

Yes £30 is a lot. However I know how hard I work for my £, & I decided that the effort to get £30 is worth what I hope will be a lovely item.

Now I'm off to research the liveherenow recordings....