Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > treatment.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:25 PM
grady
fac321

Battlestar Galactica
Who watches it around here? I know there are some.

After a cursory search, I only found a mention here or there, but no actually thread. This is a pretty damn enjoyable show.

Last spring when I came down with mono I watched the mini-series again and the first season while I was laid out sick and sleeping. Then this past fall I burned through season 2 in about a week and half in light of Season 3 starting up. I'm pretty sucked into the show at the moment and it's drawing to a conclusion for season 3 with the next two episodes airing this sunday and next sunday.

Now I can imagine just the subject line alone of this thread could merit the scoffs and disregards from users, but I urge everyone to give a few of the episodes a spin.

The show was completely revamped from it's late 70's predecessor. No longer are the cylons just goofy looking silver robots, but rather they're closer to the replicant's of Blade Runner, not machine, but human. (Rest assured, there are silver robot cylons stomping and clomping around, but they're far more menacing and evil looking now.)

Additionally, there is a lot of nice little allegorical allusions to present political tensions throughout the world and the addressing of very simple issues that you otherwise wouldn't see in most science fiction. Very basic issues as the need for more fuel, water, or food, for a small remaining populous of humans that have been displaced and no longer have a planet to call home. But while trying to address these needs you have this relentless army of machines hellbent on the destruction of the human race.

One final note, I went to middle school and high school with Katee Sackhoff (Starbuck) here in Portland, Oregon. Its kind of odd to see someone I knew growing up on TV.

Last edited by grady; 03-18-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:53 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Re: Battlestar Galactica
OK let's get down to the real nitty gritty shit.

How'd ya get mono whore boy?

Old 03-18-2007, 09:00 PM
grady
fac321

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOHN rODRIGUEZ
OK let's get down to the real nitty gritty shit.

How'd ya get mono whore boy?
It's all right here.

Combination of working two jobs at opposite hours of the day. Primary job was from 6:30am to 3:30pm. Secondary/part-time job was from 6pm to 12:30am, two nights or so a week, one week night and then Friday or Saturday as a projectionist at a local pub theater. Add into the mix drinking on occassion and tada, mono.

I wish I could say it was from fooling around with a handful of ladies, but alas, it wasn't
Old 03-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Scott Warner
delicious candy taster

Send a message via AIM to Scott Warner
It's one of the few television shows I watch religiously. Season two was a bit spotty in the middle but this one has been almost 100% awesome.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

for the next uber nerdy sci fi trivia game you're embroiled in...

Quote:
There are many parallels between the story of Battlestar Galactica and Mormon teachings. The Book of Mormon tells the story of how the Prophet Lehi took the remnant of the Tribe of Joseph to ancient America around the year 600 BC. In Battlestar Galactica, mankind founded twelve different colonies. In addition, mankind also founded a thirteenth colony on Earth that was lost from the other twelve. In the same way that The Book of Mormon has a Tribe of Israel lost on another continent beyond the knowledge of the other tribes, Battlestar Galactica has a lost colony of man separate from the main body of humanity. The lost Tribe of Israel is central to The Book of Mormon in the same way that the lost colony of Earth is central to Battlestar Galactica.
In the Battlestar Galactica episode originally aired on the 24th of September and 1st of October 1978 titled "Lost Planet of the Gods", the home world of all humanity is revealed to be the planet Kobol. This name is strikingly similar to the star Kolob which is discussed in Mormon theology. In The Pearl of Great Price, The Book of Abraham Chapter Three, Kolob is described as the star "nearest onto the Throne of God." Interestingly, the ship on which armistice talks between the colonies and the Cylons took place was the "Star Kobol" as revealed in the premier episode which aired on 17th September 1978.
Another similarity between Mormonism and Battlestar Galactica is in the political structure of the ruling bodies of each. The Mormon Church is run by a Quorum of the Twelve which is headed by a president. In Battlestar Galactica, the colonies are ruled by a Council of Twelve which is also headed by a president (Ford 84).
there you have it. one of my favorite hymns is "if you could hie to kolob"

- Mark Twain

Old 03-18-2007, 11:29 PM
grady
fac321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelet
for the next uber nerdy sci fi trivia game you're embroiled in...

there you have it. one of my favorite hymns is "if you could hie to kolob"
Someone had already mentioned this at a site I frequent and I think it's up on wikipedia too.

For more nerdiness regarding Battlestar, I heard about this one on Howard Stern about a week ago.

http://galacticawatercooler.com/

The site is complete with a poll for the president on the shows approval rating. Other such gems include this major issue: answer the toughest question of the night: Galactica vs. Enterprise — who’d win?

http://galacticawatercooler.com/2007...wc-podcast-25/

I can't say I've listened to an entire podcast, but I've downloaded quite a few and skimmed through them.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:40 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

you trounced me on the nerd scale. (though I'm still hedging on the bizarre religious interpretations)

- Mark Twain

Old 03-19-2007, 01:16 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Yeah, this show is great! It was recommended to me by a friend and I was suprised at how dark it could be at times (dealing with terrorism/torture/suicide bombings by what should be the "good guys": the humans).
The space action scenes also look great, and it's nice to see a more "realistic" approach to how inertia works in space (using thrusters to position and turn the ships, rather than having them flying like jet fighters).

I need to start catching up on season 3 though....
Old 03-19-2007, 01:34 AM
Renze
mouseman

I've watched season 1 and 2 now, I'm waiting for season 3 to finish so I can watch that too. I agree with Scott, halfway Season 2 I found it a little hard to continue because some of those eps are dreadful, but I pulled through and near the end it's all good again.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:33 AM
Tiger
Freaknik!

missed series 1&2, but enjoying 3. will defo have to track down the first 2 series
You take the piss again and i'll remove your iPod from its tiny nano-sheath and push it up your cock. Then i'll put some speakers up your arse and put it on shuffle every time i hear something i don't like - which will be every time that something comes on - i will skip to the next track by crushing your balls.