Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > treatment.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:15 AM
grady
fac321

The Prestige
This came out here in the states on Friday.

That evening I took in a double feature along with Marie Antoinette. The Prestige was the perfect antidote to the banality of Marie. For starters, the cast is all incredibly solid and there is a wonderful performance by David Bowie as Nikola Tesla.

Then the film itself is marvelously constructed and a wonder to watch. I can't wait for another Batman film by Nolan.

After reading some reviews I was surprised to learn people found the film confusing. This was also confirmed by the little discussion groups going on inside the cinema while the credits were rolling amongst certain audience members.

The thing is, if you've seen Memento or Batman you have an idea of what Christopher Nolan likes to do with storylines and playing with the narrative structure. For any viewer who pays attention, there is no greater mystery going on here.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:25 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Re: The Prestige
This, Me and Green Ginger today.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:08 PM
gambit
magic city writer

Just saw it today, and it was awesome. There's a twist and turn every other minute. I loved it.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:14 PM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Ressurecting an ancient thread here, but I just bought this on DVD, having missed it previously.

I LOVE this film. I can understand why people could find it a bit confusing if they are not paying attention, and I think the clue is in the opening phrase of the film, which is essentially the underlying theme of the whole movie. You have to watch very carefully if you want to get the full impact of this magnificently constructed story, as there are many intertwined flashbacks-within-flashbacks.

The characterisations were spot on, and the performances were enthralling. Not to mention the cavalcade of plot twists that build to a fantastic but, at the same time, highly credible climax.

A thoroughly enjoyable film.

NB: Spoiler in next post.

Last edited by BeautifulBurnout; 01-12-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:25 PM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

i understood it, but i didn't like it. it was too depressing and rather pointless. maybe i'm too big of a realist, but the "real magic" thing that david bowie developed seemed silly to me. the ending was disappointing, since the rival used a double the entire time.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:36 PM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3
i understood it, but i didn't like it. it was too depressing and rather pointless. maybe i'm too big of a realist, but the "real magic" thing that david bowie developed seemed silly to me. the ending was disappointing, since the .....
I know it is an old-ish movie now, but you have just ruined the entire thing for anyone that hasnt seen it, hon. Spoiler alerts would be useful. A bit like a description in a TV guide I once read for Sophie's Choice that said "The story of a woman who has to choose between x and y" - you have to watch that film for nigh on 3 hours before you find out what Sophie's Choice actually is!

Last edited by BeautifulBurnout; 01-12-2008 at 12:46 PM.