Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > treatment.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2010, 03:34 PM
grady
fac321

Re: summer
I attended an exhibitor screening of Toy Story 3 today. Pixar is at it again. This film was quite good and had quite a few scenes of emotional heft and punch that left me choked up at a few points. Also, the screening was in standard 35mm, not 3D and it was just fine visually, though I'm curious to see what they've done with the 3D on this one.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:43 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mongoose View Post
No joke, I loved the fuck out of it and I'm a huge classic N.O.E.S. fan.
Well I've actually never seen the originals but there was just very little interesting or scary about this movie. Every scare was just a trick with sudden loud sound effects and something moving quickly on screen. Sure I'm gonna twitch at that, but it's just an easy cop out for a general lack of atmosphere or any kind of connection with the audience. How many more of these movies starring an ensemble cast of vacuous, boring, angsty rich american high school teens played by twenty-somethings do we have to see? How many people can really relate to or care about characters like this?
I actually did kind of like Jackie Earle Haley as Krueger though and I will try and watch the original sometime soon.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Strawman
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady View Post
It's started. I've only seen Robin Hood. Meh.

Top priorities for the remainder are the following.

1. Inception
2. Toy Story 3
3. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

That's about all I can pull w/out seeking a release schedule. I'm sure there will be other little things that will surface that I'm itching to see.
I just saw Robin Hood and thought it was ok but a bit disappointing....but I did have high expectations. Although I thought Russell Crowe made a fantastic Robin Hood....but the ending really left it open for a sequel...

What do others think?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Dunwho
Big Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady View Post
Also, the screening was in standard 35mm, not 3D and it was just fine visually, though I'm curious to see what they've done with the 3D on this one.
Did i miss the day when everyone decided that 3D was in anyway better than normal 2D cinema??

Did we need to fix something? Was there something broken?

... the only reason 3D has made any sort of inroads is because the industry is sick of Pirated versions recorded in front of the cinema screen... with 3D the camera cannot record the movie properly and it looks shit.

Also its just a big marketing ploy to get more kids and all in to the cinema again... plus the extra 1 or 2 bucks for the glasses and your laughing!

In my personal opinion, 3D is utter shite, I mostly watch movies because of their themes, script, plot lines, acting... pretty much everything that cinema is about... and yes i watch it for the cinematography and visual quality... but 3D does nothing to enhance visual quality... in fact it gives me a headache having to change my focus constantly while watching the screen...

2D was fine!!!

BRING IT BACK!!!

Who is with me?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:52 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

of course it's marketing ploy, for 99% of movies. I think Avatar has so far been the sole exception to the rule (despite what you may think of the movie itself, I think most people agree that the 3d part was impressive) and it will be a while before anything like that comes along.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Andrea
light at heart

3D is fun!
I remember the very first time I saw a 3D cinema in 1990 in LA at Disneyland (or was it Sea World..).
It was a short concert sequence with Michael Jackson among others and it was like seeing him "live". It was amazing!
I was very fascinated I remember and have been wondering since then why it took so long time before 3D came to the cinemas. The recording must have been very expensive at that time I guess.

However, I think it was the experience and the adventure and not the copyright issues that created the 3D technology even though it may have other advantages as well nowadays like solving the problems with the pirate recordings.

I haven´t seen any 3D for 20 years so I´m a big fan of and really love Avatar not least because the cat people reminds me of my own Russian Blue cat, Niko.
A real down-loader? Count on that! And a wizard at his mighty mouse
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...662a5aa689.jpg
Old 05-26-2010, 04:31 PM
chems1919
mouseman

3D is getting way too out of hand. I think it's good for some films, but the fact that filmmakers are just adding it on to films and using it as a marketing strategy is just annoying. 3D takes away the whole classic, cinema feel to a lot of movies. Now it seems like whenever a movie is being hyped, the studio execs go "well let's make it 3d and then everyone will go insane!" Thank god Christopher Nolan is directing the Batman films otherwise I guarantee it would have plagued those movies and destroyed their brilliance.

As much as it pains me to say this, even Scorsese is praising 3d technology and made a remark about wanting to see "Precious" in 3d...since he's Scorsese, I'll shrug it off but I still can't believe someone of his caliber would make a remark like that.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:54 AM
grady
fac321

I just wrote an 800 word reply, or what amounted to a page and a paragraph, to the past three post regarding Toy Story 3 in 2D versus 3D but refrained from posting as I wanted to edit it down a bit as I felt like I was getting a bit long winded trying to reply to each of the pas three posts.