Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:42 AM
mickstafa
river

Re: Underworld - Brilliant Yes That Would Be (new song)
Does anyone else struggle with this track? I love ambient UW and really up until now, there wasn't anything that they produced that I had to skip. But the screeching guitar is so grating on my ears, I can't stand it. Because of this I find the track annoying and it's unfortunate it's on so much of the Drift release material.

One True Piano fits this bill too.

Last edited by mickstafa; 11-04-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:57 AM
deepfriedbeans
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickstafa View Post
Does anyone else struggle with this track? I love ambient UW and really up until now, there wasn't anything that they produced that I had to skip. But the screeching guitar is so grating on my ears, I can't stand it. Because of this I find the track annoying and it's unfortunate it's on so much of the Drift release material.
Yes - while listening to it today actually I had to admit to myself that I find it a bit annoying, particularly in the context of the sampler. I appreciate the low ambient sounds but other than that I find it very piercing. I WANT to like it but I just tend to wait for it to be finished already, unfortunately.

Edit: Also agree about One True Piano Need Hand, it feels like BYTWB 2.0.

Last edited by deepfriedbeans; 11-04-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:04 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

i half love it and half don't. the piercing is good, it does what it sets out to do, i want to be out on a windy hill on a cloudy day for it. but there's also a reason why i feel the extra 4 minutes on the back are particularly gorgeous, and that's because it finally _ends_ and the rest is allowed to breathe with that piano.

i think familiarity over time will make it all fine, tbh
Old 11-04-2019, 09:06 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

I like the sound itself but there's that little high-pitched trill at the top that does irritate me
Old 11-04-2019, 09:39 AM
khouri
khondo dweller

I think the screech is what defines the song. It's hard to decouple it from the Iceland video that accompanied it. It paints a sonic picture of that at once serene and desolate place. I think that's its very specific purpose.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:40 PM
Cadevil
exilio

I felt the same way about the "screech" when it first came out, but I've grown to love this track...sparse & melancholy. Had a couple long plane rides and this was a nice introspective soundtrack.

I'm more surprised by the inclusion of this in Drift S1, simply because its production & release didn't fall into the 52 week timeframe--it was released well before (6 months?) we got Another SiIent Way.

I am happy to have this updated version with the piano section thought!
Old 11-04-2019, 03:47 PM
iamneorev
pants

I was always on the fence about the screechy synth as well, which is made by the Soma Labs Lyra-8 synth. But damn, that piano section is gorgeous.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:32 AM
purlieu
enofa

I love the screechy synth, the contrast with the melancholic chords works brilliantly (yes, that would be). If it was all soft, it might veer slightly too close to cloying for me, instead it's sparse and beautiful and yet a demanding listen too.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:32 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

my only problem with the synth is it makes me feel like Orbital's Doctor Who theme remix is about to come on
Old 11-05-2019, 08:14 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlieu View Post
I love the screechy synth, the contrast with the melancholic chords works brilliantly (yes, that would be). If it was all soft, it might veer slightly too close to cloying for me, instead it's sparse and beautiful and yet a demanding listen too.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
I think the screech is what defines the song. It's hard to decouple it from the Iceland video that accompanied it. It paints a sonic picture of that at once serene and desolate place. I think that's its very specific purpose.
v well put.