Underworld webchat with The Guardian
Post a question and they may answer.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/liv...mment-73900479
Old 05-10-2016, 04:27 PM
nelfun5
dog

Send a message via MSN to nelfun5
Re: Underworld webchat with The Guardian
Will someone be able to copy/paste the answers here? I'm not sure the access will be guaranteed on the Guardiant site once the chat is over
Old 05-11-2016, 05:32 AM
DaddyAdv
pants

It's not really a live chat, it's more like a comments function.
You are able to re-read all stuff later on.

/edit:
quite a nice read, with some little details on UW history and tracks.
Just click the link in the first post and you'll see all of Karl's replies at the top part of that page.

Last edited by DaddyAdv; 05-11-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:40 AM
negative1

Quote:
Was the baseline from King Of Snake influenced by Donna Summer's 'I Feel Love'. I can't listen to either song without thinking of the other.

KarlHydeUnderworld matkin74 4h ago

No it wasn't, but we still paid.

Quote:
Jake Norrish 22h ago

Which of the remixes you've done for other artists are your favourites and which remixes others have done of your work do you admire?

KarlHydeUnderworld Jake Norrish 3h ago

That's a tough one for me as I had little or nothing to do with our remixes. What I do remember was feeling incredibly jealous that Rick and Darren would give away these extraordinary compositions to artists like Simply Red, Bjork and more latterly Depeche Mode, as I would have liked to have sung on them myself, but they were always inspiring. They reminded me not to be so precious - if we wanted to have any career at all, we had to write something better. Prior to that I was precious about everything we wrote - that it had to be for us, we ran a very closed shop, to our detriment, and it wasn't until Rick and Darren started remixing and I started my career as a session guitarist with other bands did I realise the benefit of opening the doors and sharing what we had. The free exchange of information, plus the collaborations that have sprung from that time, have been a joy and a benefit to us, as well as all the contact we have with other artists, and the dialogue with people like Brian Eno, Gabriel Yared, Yannis from Foals... life has changed since Rick started remixing other artists.

With regard remixes of our material, my memory doesn't serve me well.

Last edited by negative1; 05-11-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:31 AM
nelfun5
dog

Send a message via MSN to nelfun5
I received an answer from Karl about future Lemonworld Radio session:

Quote:
If time allows, Rick and I would like to return to the live webcasts we used to do. Currently most of my extra-curricular time is spent at BBC 6 Music where I'm luckily allowed to play what I want, but I do miss those extraordinary times broadcasting from Lemonworld, and hope we can resume them soon. However the current upturn in our success probably means it won't be all that soon!
Old 05-12-2016, 03:08 PM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

There were some really good questions and answers given throughout.

This one was a nice little, funny little tidbit.

Queston: Why is Alex so nice? (I'm called Alex, and I can be a bit of a git.)

Karl: I'd like to meet Alex. This is something I found on the back of a beer mat at Tortilla Flats in downtown Manhattan, which was meant to make the best margaritas. Unfortunately this was just after I'd given up drinking but it turned into a great night for lyric-scavenging. The jocks in the corner who stood on tables chanting Land Rover, Land Rover, unfortunately haven't made it into a song as yet, but the messages left on the backs of the beer mats have since become legend. Spoken in the song Two Months Off by Juanita, whose name inspired the title of the track of the same name.