Old 04-27-2009, 01:28 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Re: Going Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by big screen satellite View Post
i agree - for once....

and the top three will stay the same too if anyone cares about the title
the mighty BSS agrees with me. and i agree that no-one gives a shit about the title race. its all about the race for 7th! the final UEFA cup spot! who will it be? Fulham / West Ham / Man City / Wigan / Tottenham are in the running, though Wigan will need to win their game in hand to have a chance.

As for the Saints, well. Here's hoping they can beat Leeds twice to help keep those thugs from getting promoted (i'm assuming they will screw up in the playoffs this year)...
Old 04-27-2009, 01:53 AM
matt
old man einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
the mighty BSS agrees with me. and i agree that no-one gives a shit about the title race. its all about the race for 7th! the final UEFA cup spot! who will it be? Fulham / West Ham / Man City / Wigan / Tottenham are in the running, though Wigan will need to win their game in hand to have a chance.

As for the Saints, well. Here's hoping they can beat Leeds twice to help keep those thugs from getting promoted (i'm assuming they will screw up in the playoffs this year)...
Looking at the remaining fixtures think Fulham will drop off the pace as 3 of their remaining 4 games are against teams above them in the table and the other is away to a Newcastle side desperate for points. The Spurs-Man City game could decide which of those 2 teams finish higher with Spurs probably needing a win and then it's all about how the Hammers do in their remaining games
Old 04-27-2009, 01:54 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Special mention must go to Rotherham, who received a 17 point penalty this season and could still finish in the top half of the table if results go their way next weekend. They couldnt even afford the rent on their stadium this season so theyre playing at the local athletics stadium. Theyve struggled to pay players wages but still get the results. Without the points penalty they would have been automatically promoted. Its shit for the fans but its not all doom and gloom.

and the manager? The man who saved Alex Fergusons job in the FA Cup all those years ago. Mark Robins. I know Roy Keane had a go at his ex-Man Utd player managers lack of success but success isnt always measured in cups...
Old 04-27-2009, 05:19 AM
happiness stan
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
I was assuming the same thing!
As a Saint in exile in Dublin I'm looking forward to the Leeds games next season, lots of fans over here (of a certain age).
The wind-ups have already started.

Strange thing this global warming - Nice and sunny in Portsmouth and -10 in Southampton.

Three ships have left the port of Southampton never to return - The Titanic, The Premiership and the Championship
Old 04-27-2009, 05:33 AM
matt
old man einstein

Not sure the Pompey fans will be quite so jubilant if they lose to Newcastle tonight.

Think Hull are looking more and more likely to go down. 20 points from their first 8 matches of the season and only 14 points in the next 26 and have Villa & United still to play
Old 04-27-2009, 05:49 AM
happiness stan
mouseman

Very shaky for Hull & Sunderland.
I'd rather Blackburn and Pompey went down personally, but I think they'll be ok.

I fancy a draw tonight.
If Shearer starts with 3 up front who will be the first off?
Old 04-27-2009, 06:09 AM
matt
old man einstein

Playing around with this predictor thingy I'm not sure a draw is much good to Newcastle tonight. Assuming they'll lose at Anfield in the following game it would make the Boro derby game on 11th May a must win for both sides as I could potentially see Hull winning at home against a Stoke side with nothing to play for on the Saturday before
Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

tbh - i know this is gonna upset some people round here - but i think Newcastle as a club deserve to go down... (as much that they deserve to stay up) they are in this mess for a reason...
Old 04-27-2009, 09:57 AM
happiness stan
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by big screen satellite View Post
tbh - i know this is gonna upset some people round here - but i think Newcastle as a club deserve to go down... (as much that they deserve to stay up) they are in this mess for a reason...
I don't really get what you're trying to say.

They deserve to go down 'cos they've been poor this season, and they deserve to stay up if they fight their corner and scrape 10 points (or whatever is necessary)? Is that what you mean?

I think they've been poor enough to get relegated, same as Boro.
Good for Stoke for doing enough to stay up.

Blackburn have been uninspiring but done enough, Bolton get a raw deal (I'd love to see Kevin Davies get a game for England in Heskey's place). Maybe I just don't like Big Sam.

After taking a bit more notice of the Championship, it is a great league, not the end of the world getting relegated (spot the optimistic Saints fan!)
Old 04-28-2009, 12:17 AM
matt
old man einstein

So, a draw it was which will probably leave Newcastle 3 points adrift with just 3 games remaining - so that Boro game is going to be huge. In the Geordies favour is that they do have a superior goal difference to the teams around them so they need to hope they don't take a battering at Anfield on Sunday from a Liverpool team who've scored 15 goals in their last 4 games.

Whichever team fails to win on May 11th is almost certainly going down