Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:52 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Re: Determine Your Favorite Underworld Album - With SCIENCE!
I think it's true that we wouldnt be talking about them as the same thing if they weren't "the guitar interlude in an electronic album", but i dunno about "night and day," or that it's piercing (??). there's still similarities out of it being Karl, and it is a bit confusing to _loathe_ one and love the other.

I find Ess Gee uncynical and very pretty but a bit saccharine too. it's mood isn't exactly ambiguous and I wonder if it's here largely because the tone is impeccable. blueski is just more mysterious and evocative, like knowing a photo you found was meaningful to whoever took it but not knowing why.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:37 AM
mark3
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlieu View Post
Hey look, I didn't mean to come across like a dick,
I don't think you did, purlieu, and I apologise if my reply was too harsh.
I still don't buy the premise that Ess Gee and Blueski should be comparable or that they 'serve the same role' on the respective albums. But if you think so, cool
Imo, you might as well compare Ballet Lane and Blueski. At least Ballet Lane is more sophisitcated, as in 'complex', it's short and the penultimate track as well. Yes, there are some drums / beats, but the guitar is there, too.
Oh, well ...
Old 03-26-2019, 07:36 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman View Post
there's still similarities out of it being Karl, and it is a bit confusing to _loathe_ one and love the other.
Well yeah of course there are similarities. Both have a composed-with-care style about them. But the notes/chords of Ess Gee pierce me and I personally feel its a downer of a track. It does work better before Mo Move on the demo album, but I still skip it every single time it comes on. If I wasn't such a purist, I'd just remove it from the album and save myself the time; its in my bottom 3 UW tracks for sure. (Boy, Boy, Boy is in there as well as Shudder.)

Blueski however, has a gentle rolling feel to it. It has an interesting using of guitar and repetition. And tonally, its pleasing. I feel this way about Santiago Cuatro as well if we're comparing like tracks.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:31 AM
richardacre
mouseman

dubno - 8/9 = 89% (M.E. - Lyrics feel far too 90s)
stiti - 7/8 = 88% (Can't stand Rowla, I'd swap it for Cherry Pie)
bfish - 9/11 = 82% (I'm being harsh to Winjer and Bruce Lee, kinda sorta like em)
100do - 8/10 = 80% (Ess Gee is meh, Dinosaur is just farting about with a vocoder, and we already have Moaner)
obwib - 7/11 = 64% (ring road, to heal, glam bucket, cuddle bunny)
brkng - 8/9 = 89% (Scribble)
barbr - 6/7 = 86% (Motorhome)

Apparently I like Barking best. But if you'd have asked me to pick one without science I'd have picked 100 Days Off (I'm listening to the Ansum edit right now). I think as an album it has the best flow from track to track, beginning, middle and end, making it feel more like a complete work. Oblivion is a good example of the opposite of that, feels like a bunch of random stuff thrown together and I'd probably like some of the individual tracks better if they didn't contrast so much with the ones around them.

edit: I redid my maths and had a rounding error, dubno and Barking are tied. I feel better about that

Last edited by richardacre; 03-28-2019 at 08:36 AM. Reason: misspelt edit
Old 04-01-2019, 08:35 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardacre View Post
glam bucket
Old 04-01-2019, 06:24 PM
deepfriedbeans
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardacre View Post
M.E. - Lyrics feel far too 90s
I actually love this about M.E., haha.