Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > world.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2009, 08:26 AM
myrrh
a small-minded madman

Re: "Missing Link" found!
Interesting find. I don't believe in evolution, specifically that humans evolved from monkeys, so this is no big deal for me.

However, I always thought that the 'missing link', if there were to be such a thing, would be different than this. Like bigger, and without a tail.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:46 AM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophony View Post
thank you for proving my point.
=P
i rescend my previous statement on the grounds of intoxication.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelet View Post
Sean, by the way, I thought your serve had great form.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i fail to see how a lemur with a long tail really connects human evolution with that of monkeys.
Well, if you don't see it then it certainly must be an erroneous report.

Quote:
by the way, if evolution is real, how come bugs are still confused by lightbulbs? don't you think they've been around long enough?
Not just bugs, but also many birds. Man-made lights that are on all night in cities and such have been having a pretty broad, nagative affect on bird migration patterns and overall behavior for years as well. The fact of the matter is we're developing technology and habits as a society that are outpacing other species ability to keep up in an evolutionary sense. That's a major reason why so many species are going extinct every day, why a full quarter of mammals are listed as at least being threatened as well as a full third of amphibians, and why half the world's forests have been descimated.

Quote:
my point is that the theory of evolution is still very full of holes, especially considering the fact that there still is no real link that shows that fish evolved into amphibians, reptiles into birds, etc. natural selection is one thing, as typified by native americans seperated from the rest of the world for thousands of years and developing different features. yet, why could the native americans still reproduce with europeans?
Again, because you have questions doesn't invalidate the theories. I have questions and things I don't understand at all about how the hell black holes work, but that doesn't invalidate their existence.

Last edited by Sean; 05-20-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Deckard
issue 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrrh View Post
specifically that humans evolved from monkeys
Who claims that, exactly?
Old 05-20-2009, 11:58 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post

... I have questions and things I don't understand ...,... but that doesn't invalidate their existence.

Here, you can use my can opener. I stole it from a boy scout(former boy scout, he's an adult now), but you didn't hear about it from me.

Last edited by jOHN rODRIGUEZ; 05-20-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:04 PM
myrrh
a small-minded madman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Who claims that, exactly?
I guess no educated person actually does, but you know what I was meaning.

To correct myself, I don't believe that we come from the same evolutionary ancestor as monkeys.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Quote:
natural selection is one thing, as typified by native americans seperated from the rest of the world for thousands of years and developing different features. yet, why could the native americans still reproduce with europeans?
The native americans originated, like europeans, from africa... scientists have managed to use DNA mapping (or something along those lines) to link Native american DNA with African. They say that the first americans passed into north america by an ice bridge between russia and alaska. When that Ice bridge melted they were cut off and left to develop on their own. Thus even if, based on the theory of evolution, they would have developed differently from the european human they still have the same roots in their DNA and thus just like horses and Donkeys, different breeds of Cats and Dogs etc etc etc the Native american is successfully able to mate with Europeans...or any other human for that matter...

i saw this recently too which touches upon this idea.. http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/s..._humanity.html

Tho this fossil has nothing really got to do with why the native americans or aboriginals are slightly different to Europeans Africans or Aisians.. this has got to do with the development of the root human, the Homosapian... it has already been prooven that these different types of human have the same DNA footprint...what needs to be proven is where and how that DNA footprint first came into existance.

Also lets say the comment left here about the flys not realising that a lightbulb will kill them was valid... taking the idea lets say that the lightbulb has been in existance for as long as the fly... the idea of Natural Selection and Darwins theory is that while the majority of flies would perish to the lightbulb, over millenia one or two flies would develop the brain capacity to realise the lightbulb was harmless.. that feature would be passed on from generation to generation, slowly at first but eventually to a point that there was clearly two species..the ones that are attracted to the lightbulb and the ones that are not..the ones that are not have longer lives, thus develop better, perhaps grow in size... and now these days this strain of fly has become a wasp, a bee etc... not in anyway threatened by the light. And this does not mean that the fly species would die out completely, it continues to co-exist with its more advanced cousins, and continues to perish to the lightbulb... same reason why monkeys and apes still exist today with us..

This fossil has qualities that display what would be similar to our flys minimaly higher brain capacity, its not the longer tail as someone said here, its the aposable big toes and the presence of nails rather than claws... you could imagine that this new form of lemur did not need big claws to dig into a tree trunk because it had a big toe that could hook onto it and grip him in... thus the claws become less essential and develop into nails...

I mean i amnt in any way an archeologist or paleantologist... but you have to admit that the fact that this hybrid species has even been found in the state it is in is something incredible.. and its worth considering how it applies tot he development of primates at least..and perhaps if you then come around to the idea humans too

Last edited by Dunwho; 05-20-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:27 PM
cacophony
disquietude

This whole thread makes me want to gouge my eyes out. Is it really this difficult to understand the principle of natural selection? Because I'm seeing some really stupid things being said in the name of debating evolution.

Do we need to pause for a refresher course?
Old 05-20-2009, 03:29 PM
bas_I_am
vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophony View Post
This whole thread makes me want to gouge my eyes out.
One of the first responses to the initial post was a prediction of a "slow-news-day feeding frenzy"

funny how the thread devolved