Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:54 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Girl Talk - Feed the Animals
i figured since i found him on dirty, might as well post a thread for the new album. also because it's one i've been looking forward to.

Quote:
My fourth full-length album, Feed The Animals, is out today! You can download the digital version (320 Kpbs) for whatever price you want at: www.illegalart.net. If you are reading this prior to 7:00 AM eastern USA time, then the page may not be ready. We're fine-tuning some last minute things. If you pay over $5, you get an added bonus of one big mp3 file with all of the tracks connected. If you pay over $10, then you are pre-ordering a physical copy of the CD, which will be out later. All of the tracks are streaming here, but the album is intended to be listened as one continuous track. This can be easily accomplished by getting the mp3s from Illegal Art, thanks for your support!
i'm just halfwway through on the first listen, and it's.. quite nice.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:14 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Re: Girl Talk - Feed the Animals
...really?

I dunno how I feel about Girl Talk

when I first heard (forget the name of the album) while riding in a friend's car almost a year ago... I was like, 'hmmm this isn't too bad and a bit clever'

then when I said to Jess (my friend) yea, he's not too bad

then I had to hear this rant about how it was 'art' and how unique and original it was, blah blah blah

I was like... um... 2 Many Dj's? Which was met with a confused look, and then a bit of a 'disagreement' ensued

(then repeat this exact same experience months later in a "Leadership in the Arts" seminar course)
Old 06-20-2008, 04:08 AM
matt
old man einstein

i know what you mean blake. night ripper was quite fun but not really the ground breaking magnum opus that some quarters held it up to be.

plus like a lot of these sort of mixes, they're very much of the moment and i can't imagine playing night ripper again many more times in the future.

i'll be interested to hear the new one but won't be rushing out to download it...
Old 06-20-2008, 11:52 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

uh huh.
people do get ranty because there's ranty reasons why girl talk feels a lot different than 2manydjs, shitmat, and lots of other people who multi-mash stuff.

but whatever. this album is awesome, better put together than night ripper, and full of "did he really just do that" moments that kept this guy from being a novelty act to me, unlike so many others just like him.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:15 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman View Post
uh huh.
people do get ranty because there's ranty reasons why girl talk feels a lot different than 2manydjs, shitmat, and lots of other people who multi-mash stuff.

but whatever. this album is awesome, better put together than night ripper, and full of "did he really just do that" moments that kept this guy from being a novelty act to me, unlike so many others just like him.
well - not to hijack the whole thread ... buuuuuut

it wasn't even a 'rant' about how different/similar Girl Talk is to 2manyDj's, it was this looooong rant about how "it's art" and "unique" and "nothing else is like it"

to which I was like, dude - it sounds like a 'party mix' or like 2ManyDj's from back around 2001/2002...

then came the vacant stare, as if I basically just made up the name "2manydj's" ... then she (my friend Jess) got really defensive. To which, I was like - hey Girl Talk isn't bad just don't give me 10-15 minutes of why I should like him so much for being 'original'

just say - hey this guy does mash-ups... that actually ARE really good, technically difficult to produce, and not boring like the majority of them are these days

but anyways - I probably will end up buying this album eventually
Old 06-20-2008, 01:58 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

yeah the 'originality' label only really applies in that he's got an exceptional ear for entertainment and momentum with these things (a fake leak came out in march and people were fooled for about ten minutes before calling it out because it was like every other crap mashup exercise), so people do get a little hyped beyond reason, but that's because they're fucking fun. they turn stupidass club hits into stupider creations that are ludicrous and make people go "really?" if they arent too busy getting way into it. to me it's at a point where it doesnt matter how it got there if it's one of the most entertaining things to happen that year.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:40 PM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

I haven't heard that Blackstreet song in ages.

Fun for playing name that sample. I like how he uses very short samples that you almost miss.

Would love to hear this in a club setting, it's a bit out of context just listening to it on the headphones.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Caprice
pants

i heard his stuff in a friends car on her cd. its amazing what he can do