Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 10:42 AM
patrick
river

Re: 2 bit pie == fluke
that was a neat read (at least some of it, super long!)

nice to see that underworld was respected a fair bit, seems to be a number of fans over there... i guess there are some parrallels between fluke and uw in terms of vocals/lyrics - poetic/ambiguos meanings... and the 80's popish sounding start... although fluke did that miles better than the underworld mk1
Old 01-22-2007, 11:17 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

i bought the disc on the recommendation of Mr. Stimpee. I am a Fluke fan but feel they began to lose it immediately after the Bullet 12", Six Wheels being the highpoint. this 2Bit Pie nonsense is horrible. Musically it sounds stuck in 98 and on top of the stagnant sounds, there are god awful vocals all over this. The worst part about Fluke has always been the vocals but it's amplified to the extreme on this release. i have a copy of the disc, only played once, up for trade. I'll take anything for it. Make me an offer of what you assume to be equal value.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:31 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub
i I am a Fluke fan but feel they began to lose it immediately after the Bullet 12", Six Wheels being the highpoint. this 2Bit Pie nonsense is horrible. Musically it sounds stuck in 98 and on top of the stagnant sounds, there are god awful vocals all over this. The worst part about Fluke has always been the vocals but it's amplified to the extreme on this release.
Sorry you didn't dig it, BLD
i hear what you're saying about latter-day Fluke not living up to earlier promise. Seems most fans agree that Six Wheels on My Wagon is quality. Perhaps because it is all over the place in style and is very catchy. Later releases weren't nearly as well-received. Oto is very dark and kind of slow-paced. It took me many listens to get into. Risotto is often lumped as big-beat,with remixes of OTO with"Atom Bomb" and "Absurd" being overexposed. And Puppy, which i feel is a return to dark, driving bass similar to Bullet and Tosh, was hardly noticed on release.

Jon Fugler's vocals have always been an acquired taste...raspy, snarly, half-spoken. Personally, i like 'em, as it adds some humanism into what could be too-sleek production. On 2 Bit Pie, he does sing a lot, and on the singles "Nobody Never" and "Here I Come" as well as "PIL", these are very amplified as you say. But there's vocal variety, too: Yuki, a Japanese girl, sings duet or solo on a couple cuts, Jan Burton (of the other Fluke spinoff Syntax) on another and an opera-singer whose name i forget is the vocal signature on yet another.

As for the stuck-in-98 feel, i dunno...maybe it's closer to Risoto than Six Wheels, though i think it's a natural follow-up to Puppy.