Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > world.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

UK Election
So it sounds like you folks have quite a tight race going on over there. I'm ashamed to admit that I've heard very little about it what with all of our oil spills, flooding, attempted terrorist attacks, etc going on over here. So who's who and what's what? Who do you like?
Old 05-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Re: UK Election
Huge queues of voters being turned away unable to vote all over the country - running out of ballot papers, electoral officials misunderstanding the rules about when to turn people away, people turning up and finding the registration lists are out of date and don't include them.... all pretty damning stuff. Expect legal challenges in the days ahead.

And to think we observe other countrys' elections.

Overall the campaign has been an exciting one, with no clear winner, even now. Most extraordinary - and welcome - was the surge of the third party, the Liberal Democrats, who - thanks to their leader Nick Clegg being included in the first ever televised leaders debates in this country - turned what was a two-horse race into a three-horse one. At one point they polled first position.

However, exit polls conducted a little while ago tonight seem to suggest their success may have evaporated, and if anything, they may even end up with a lower number of seats than they achieved in 2005. It'll be hugely disappointing if that's the case, not least because they have been pushing for a system of proportional representation. (I should think the financial turmoil playing out in Greece and threatening the rest of Europe has played no small part in an apparent drop in support, as the Libs are known to be enthusiastic about ditching the pound and joining the Euro.

A poor performance by their leader in the third debate also didn't help.

As things stand, it looks like we're going to get our first hung Parliament since 1974. Impossible to predict whether the Liberals will join with Labour and govern as a majority, or if the Conservatives will scrap together support from the Ulster Unionists and lead the country. Or the Tories might yet still win outright. Either way, Gordon Brown will almost certainly not be PM in a couple of days time, and David Cameron will not achieve a resounding majority in a Conservative government.

EDIT: arse....scrap that last statement - seems the Conservatives are starting to come in strong...

Last edited by Deckard; 05-06-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:46 AM
Deckard
issue 37

'Morning After' update for non-UK readers:

The Conservatives (led by David Cameron) have the largest number of votes and seats, but have - so far- fallen short of a full majority.

Labour's vote held up a lot better than expected, so there's still a possibility they could enter a coalition with the Liberal Democrats, forming a progressive majority. Reform of our first-past-the-post electoral system would be a pre-requisite to such a union. And ditching Gordon Brown as leader may be another price to pay.

The Liberal Democrats led by Nick Clegg suffered an astonishing comedown from the 'Cleggmania' of the first half of the campaign, ending up with fewer votes than 2005. But Clegg could yet be the man who holds the balance of power, as the other two parties will be eager to use the Lib Dems to gain their majority.

And we still don't currently know who is going to be our next prime minister.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:01 PM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Decks

I thought the LibDems got a 1% increase of the proportion of the vote but lost 4 seats?

Anyhoo, I had two "Portillo" moments during the night: Jacqui Smith losing her seat and Griffin getting his arse well and truly kicked out of sight in Barking.

Hopefully that will be the last we hear from the BNP numpties in a while....
Old 05-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBurnout View Post
Decks

I thought the LibDems got a 1% increase of the proportion of the vote but lost 4 seats?

Anyhoo, I had two "Portillo" moments during the night: Jacqui Smith losing her seat and Griffin getting his arse well and truly kicked out of sight in Barking.

Hopefully that will be the last we hear from the BNP numpties in a while....
You're absolutely right, I'm getting votes and seats mixed up. Net loss of 5: 13 losses, 8 gains. Still hugely disappointing, and Clegg is now in an almost impossible situation as kingmaker. Whatever decision he makes, there will be howls of protest. I don't envy him and his negotiating team.

I'm with you on the portillo moment for the Nazi bastards. Also losing all 12 London council seats was rather nice to hear.

Wonder how long Brown will cling on then?
Old 05-07-2010, 01:42 PM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

i'm sorry to say i don't see the huge difference between the labour and conservative parties— they both seem pretty pro-government waste and pro-"patriot-act" style stuff in the UK. it seems to me that the liberal democrats are the only party that's really any different, and they seem to hold a more libertarian viewpoint, at least on social issues. anyone care to explain some key differences between the parties? (i'm a US citizen).
Old 05-07-2010, 01:51 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i'm sorry to say i don't see the huge difference between the labour and conservative parties— they both seem pretty pro-government waste and pro-"patriot-act" style stuff in the UK. it seems to me that the liberal democrats are the only party that's really any different, and they seem to hold a more libertarian viewpoint, at least on social issues. anyone care to explain some key differences between the parties? (i'm a US citizen).
Thank you.

I'm torn, I like older men. hmm, Brown? That new younger guy looks like one hella f. buddy too though. It's all about what "looks" good, remember?

Old 05-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Bryant - you're largely right. Although ideologically very distant, there's not nearly as much difference in practice between 'New Labour' and the Conservatives as there is between either of them and the Lib Dems. (Old Labour would have been a different matter.)

A few that spring to mind though...

On the economy - specifically, on dealing with the deficit - Labour want to increase public spending over the coming year because they believe it's important to "sustain the recovery" before beginning cuts the year after. Conservatives say tackling the deficit is more urgent and needs to be done right away. I suppose that reflects a classic economic division.

On immigration, there's not nearly as much between these two parties as their respective rhetoric would suggest. The Conservatives are more keen on imposing a cap, and bringing it down to 1990s levels, but that's about it. They talk tougher but they're a looong way from Arizona! And countless Labour Home Secretaries have gone out of their way to out-toughtalk the Conservatives.

Probably civil liberties is a key issue that separates Labour and Tory significantly. The Conservatives, to their credit (IMO) want to scrap the proposed ID cards system, which Labour have pressed for. However the Tories also want to repeal the Human Rights Act. I might be won around to that idea if I knew more about what they propose for the British equivalent.

The Conservatives may be - in some respects - slightly to the left of your Democrats. They have been at pains to assure us about how committed they are to tackling environmental issues, global warming, gay rights, child poverty, and so on, even if details sometimes arise to make us question this.

Both parties are committed to the National Health Service. Both claim to be committed to the future of the (licence-fee funded) BBC - though personally I don't trust that in Conservative hands.

But you're right, the Lib Dems are the most radical (relatively speaking). For instance, they would put on hold expensive plans to renew our Trident nuclear deterrent, they propose a one-off amnesty on illegal immigrants, and they strongly favour joining the single European currency, though only when the time is right, and not before consulting the British people.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

EDIT:
Oh yes, Iraq. Lib Dems were strongly opposed to it, while Tory and Labour were for strongly for it.
Also electoral reform. Tories want to stick to FPTP that favour big parties. Labour were the same for ages, but are having something of a deathbed conversion. Lib Dem have always favoured PR.

Some more here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politi...es/default.stm

Last edited by Deckard; 05-07-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOHN rODRIGUEZ View Post
That new younger guy looks like one hella f. buddy too though.
I think my o/h has a crush on him.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:25 PM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Bryant - you're largely right. Although ideologically very distant, there's not nearly as much difference in practice between 'New Labour' and the Conservatives as there is between either of them and the Lib Dems. (Old Labour would have been a different matter.)

A few that spring to mind though...

On the economy - specifically, on dealing with the deficit - Labour want to increase public spending over the coming year because they believe it's important to "sustain the recovery" before beginning cuts the year after. Conservatives say tackling the deficit is more urgent and needs to be done right away. I suppose that reflects a classic economic division.

On immigration, there's not nearly as much between these two parties as their respective rhetoric would suggest. The Conservatives are more keen on imposing a cap, and bringing it down to 1990s levels, but that's about it. They talk tougher but they're a looong way from Arizona! And countless Labour Home Secretaries have gone out of their way to out-toughtalk the Conservatives.

Probably civil liberties is a key issue that separates Labour and Tory significantly. The Conservatives, to their credit (IMO) want to scrap the proposed ID cards system, which Labour have pressed for. However the Tories also want to repeal the Human Rights Act. I might be won around to that idea if I knew more about what they propose for the British equivalent.

The Conservatives may be - in some respects - slightly to the left of your Democrats. They have been at pains to assure us about how committed they are to tackling environmental issues, global warming, gay rights, child poverty, and so on, even if details sometimes arise to make us question this.

Both parties are committed to the National Health Service. Both claim to be committed to the future of the (licence-fee funded) BBC - though personally I don't trust that in Conservative hands.

But you're right, the Lib Dems are the most radical (relatively speaking). For instance, they would put on hold expensive plans to renew our Trident nuclear deterrent, they propose a one-off amnesty on illegal immigrants, and they strongly favour joining the single European currency, though only when the time is right, and not before consulting the British people.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

EDIT:
Oh yes, Iraq. Lib Dems were strongly opposed to it, while Tory and Labour were for strongly for it.
Also electoral reform. Tories want to stick to FPTP that favour big parties. Labour were the same for ages, but are having something of a deathbed conversion. Lib Dem have always favoured PR.

Some more here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politi...es/default.stm
sounds like someone needs to start a new party over there! maybe i'm just being an ignorant american, but it seems like we have a much broader variety of political parties over here, that cover a broader spectrum of political ideologies.