Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:20 PM
amhilde
mouseman

Re: Underworld... live?
Not a new fan but new to being able to actually see them live and I have to say that by the third show of Barbara for me I was wondering what had been driving all the hype from the past. A buddy had been to a few Megadogs and I have heard some of the bootlegs, but the show now is definitely a more sedate affair, bar whatever energy Karl is exuding that day. It is still great fun to see, though it is definitely a bit too processed, but isn't everything these days?

My take - nothing left to prove and, as someone above said, any experimentation or thrill of making art for the fun of it is done behind doors for themselves and no one else (or the little bit we may hear as a result). Depeche Mode has gone the same way as they have gotten older - the Home forum has an entire thread on people's wishes for the next tour and it inevitably goes along the lines of "less formularic" and "less reliance on the hits" and "someone other than Anton for stage design so it will be more interesting". Dave and Martin go off and do a lot of solo stuff now, just like Karl and Rick have done. I guess its a way of keeping it fresh and finding new outlets and challenges.

Ironically enough I popped by the forum tonight to find out what was up with the Ally Pally show for next March... :P
Old 06-24-2016, 09:16 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Im still hopeful that with the investment in the new video screens, they will do some amazing visuals again.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:36 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
Im still hopeful that with the investment in the new video screens, they will do some amazing visuals again.
If i knew that we'd see a return to form and not a rerun of the first round of Barbara shows, I'd fly out for the Ally Pally show. But I could honestly say that even at their very best, if that show was a rehash of the one I just saw, it would be a total waste of time and money.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:21 PM
darkvoice
mouseman

What I don't understand about the live setup is the role of Price. He's doing nothing most of the time, which is a waste of his talent. I always assumed he was the new creative factor in their live shows after Emerson left.

I agree I like to see them do exciting stuff which I might not like than repeating each show every night. It worked for the dunno tour but please choose between songs in your massive back catalogue.

Next show do not focus on the band but step into the shadows, turn on mind blowing visuals and let the music surprise us again.

Has someone of this board have close contact with them? I like to hear their reaction?

Last edited by darkvoice; 06-26-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:44 PM
amhilde
mouseman

Definitely to the above. Just watched the Glasto set - there were numerous points where songs could be mixed into new directions, or a variation in the beat speed could take the crowd up even higher. Why hasn't Price been involved more than watching the laptop screens? I figure he of anyone could lend a good hand to really drive the show forward.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:35 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

its not a question of the people at the controls, thats for sure. some of the AHDO shows were crazy random with proper on-the-spot segues. the LiveHereNow shows the same.

I think I've decided to put my enjoyment-eggs in Stimpee's basket and, fingers-crossed, hope they have bigger plans for their live show than what they are presenting now. Ally Pally seems like the right time and place to make their move. But if that show *many months from now* is just this same setlist then I can't help but think this is how the want it to be.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:57 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
The fact that they've been touring the same show for a couple of years suggests pretty strongly that this is the show they are happy to give. Let all those people who saw UW prior rejoice! You might not have known how fortunate you were.

Me, I listen to the old bootlegs and reflect on the passage of time...
Old 06-26-2016, 05:01 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
The fact that they've been touring the same show for a couple of years suggests pretty strongly that this is the show they are happy to give. Let all those people who saw UW prior rejoice! You might not have known how fortunate you were.

Me, I listen to the old bootlegs and reflect on the passage of time...
Then I can't for the life of me figure out why they lug that massively gorgeous video screen with them when a projector would do just fine. Why upgrade if only to show song/track titles?

Ugh, I just don't get it. Sucks watching your favorite band slip into the realm of 'average'.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:40 PM
markreed
mouseman

What i find pretty odd is that they rehearsed and *killed* some material that they played once or twice on the DubNo tour. (the RFH show stands up to V2000 Stafford as the best show of theirs I've seen).

Minnaepolis, BigMouth, Spikee, Pearls Girl, Always Loved A Film, Between Stars - for example - have all played live in the past two years, and would it *hurt* to have a bit more flex on that, even if its to pre-program a couple of transitions (i.e. Dark Train into ALAF, or Juanita into Pearls Girl) they can choose 'on the fly'. It's got to stage now where I know Dark Train will fall into Burts for about 45 seconds at 5.40, and that the Cowgirl break comes like clockwork at around 7.45 (or 10.45pm) at every gig.

Also, is it too hard to sync visuals with sound, i.e. run a program where 'synth line X' = 'visual layer Y' on the video screen, so it's not so dull?

They're great live, but the shows do need to be a bit more varied.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:24 AM
hexagoneye
river

Sadly i have to agree with the original post in this thread. Their sets in recent years have become entirely predictable with little variation in between them. One of the things i loved most about Underworld was their live sets in the past where the songs often evolved over they years into something very different from the album versions. This was always exciting to hear. Everything Everything really captured this for me. I understand the Dubnobass 20th anniversay tour going down this route so i was really hoping the set's after this tour would go back to sounding more inventive but sadly they haven't! Now it seems like they are playing it too safe, just playing each track exactly as they sound on the albums. It's really disappointing to see them go down this route.