Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Mike
born013

Chemical Brothers - New Live Show
Saw them last night @ the roundhouse in london -

The show is split into 2 distinct parts, with a short 4 or 5 minute interlude...

The first part they played out what i assume to be the new album, accompanied by stunning visuals... there are some abolute belters in there that some people will not have heard yet, loads of acid / deep bass sounds, plus the two new tracks that we have heard already.

The seconds part they played a few of their back catalogue - [not in order] It Doesn't Matter (i *think* mixed with Under The Influence), Setting Sun, Chemical Beats, Hey Girl Hey Boy, EBW8 (Saturate), Believe & Out Of Control....

The show seemed to be missing some of the commonly played tracks from the last couple of tours such as 'Private Psycadelic Reel', 'Golden Path', 'Star Guitar', 'Surface To Air', 'Galvanise', 'Do It Again' and the EBW's 6&7....maybye some of those will appear in the next few shows.

Overall, a fantastic show of the usual quality of Chemical Brothers, the new album material really is going back to their roots... although something in me can't help feel they could have just pressed play on their machine and im pretty sure it would have sounded the same.

The stunning visuals add an extra dimension to their live shows, but again there are cynics who might suggest that surely its not possible for lip syncing visuals to the music...unless they are somehow sticking to a pre-crafted performance Im pretty sure someone will tell me about some great software they are using here.

There were also many people (including me) who felt a little cheated that they didn't come back for an encore... it is cheesy, but its a shame that people leave with a sour taste because of that.

Aside from all that, i didn't go to see the chems to critisize their show, i went to have a good time and it was amazing, money well spent.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:11 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Re: Chemical Brothers - New Live Show
For the record, I did see Kraftwerk live, but didn't know if I'd like it, because they have a reputation for being a little...ahem...unenergetic live. They must have been doing more than they were appearing to, since they appeared to be doing nothing. But I had a blast and would rank it in the top 5 shows I've ever been to. Great news on the new album. I haven't been this excited for the Chems since Surrender. Bang on!!
Old 05-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Mike
born013

I took a couple of videos on my phone - they are on my youtube channel...

Chemical Beats -
Dissolve (New Track) -
Horse Power (Hot New Track) -
Setting Sun / It Doesn't Matter -
Another World (New Track) -

Last edited by Mike; 05-21-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:43 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Awesome - thanks Mike! Yes, it sounds as though they are back to doing what they did so well for the first few albums, create hard hitting acid-big-beat tracks interspersed with harmonic, totally catchy psychodelia.

"Dissolve" recalls "Let forever be" for me.

"another world" seems like it'll be an epic cut.

"Horse Power" sounds crazy! Again, recalling some of the B-Sides from Surrender era.

Last edited by holden; 05-21-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:02 PM
chems1919
mouseman

Nice work Mike! The visuals are stunning and I'm extremely jealous that you went to Roundhouse. The tracks sound great. I think you're right Holden, they remind me of the crazy B-sides that were attached to Surrender. Horse Power reminds me a lot of the Flashback b-side. Only track out of the bunch that doesn't sound chemical-worthy is Dissolve, but I'm sure that will change once I hear the full song in a better quality version. Man, I'm pumped for the new album! They better tour somewhere near Florida this August or I'll go Ghandi-style and not eat.