Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2010, 12:28 AM
unwound floors
power before passion.

Re: Good Day Today
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
good day today seems to me to be a crossover between the numb slow tracks on OWB (the entire album minus crocodile and BB) and 8 ball. i hope the new album doesn't suck like the last one did. i mean, i love UW. and i love the stuff they were playing live right before the album was released. but when it came out, it was such a downer. i mean, the majority of the album has this radiohead-style electronic depression that is just awful. it's not the same as the active sadness as seen on tracks like 'dirty epic', they just seem to have this 'i've given up on life' feel to them. does anyone agree? i'm specifically talking about 'glam bucket', 'faxed invitation', 'cuddle bunny', 'holding the moth' and 'boy boy boy'.
Really? Oblivion with Bells is the complete opposite, for me, haha - it's an album I'll put on when everything seems awful and fucked-up and wrong, because it comforts me so much. It's got an edge of sadness to it, sure (Beautiful Burnout with its gentle melancholy, Boy Boy Boy and its sense of disconnection, and to an extent, Faxed Invitation), but for me, anyway, it's an album about hope. I'd liken it to stepping out of the house after a stormy, rain-soaked evening into a clear dawn. Tracks like 'To Heal', 'Ring Road' and 'Crocodile', are all filled with a certain sense of peace ("all these things in me, in me" / "and every time I think of you, I get my peace back"). And the fact that the album ends with Good Morning Cockerel and Best Mamgu Ever kind of drives it home for me - the use of piano and delicate, gentle synths in them are just the best!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:31 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
good day today seems to me to be a crossover between the numb slow tracks on OWB (the entire album minus crocodile and BB) and 8 ball. i hope the new album doesn't suck like the last one did....... i'm specifically talking about 'glam bucket', 'faxed invitation', 'cuddle bunny', 'holding the moth' and 'boy boy boy'.
OWB like all the albums have their "bad" songs and "good" songs. But these songs are different for every listener.

for me, OWB, i feel that BB is great but goes on too long (Glam Bucket loses direction also). Crocodile has lost some of the feel of the "All These Things" live versions from 2005 but is still good. The "bad" songs for me are Cuddly Bunny and Good Morning Cockerel. But the rest of the album is excellent. Loads of Birds included. It has aged well in the last few years and I like it more than I did originally.

I think the same will happen with this album. Good Day Today is dividing people just as Ring Road did. Karls vocal delivery then raised eyebrows. This song is different. I dont like this song because its Underworld, I like this song because its got an old school electro feel, but with modern bits. The beat is fast, the gunshots are cool and fit in perfectly (if you listen to the lyrics before the shots) and if you like Kraftwerk or Anthony Rother you are sure to like this as you can hear the influences.

After repeated listens to Cuddly Bunny and Good Morning Cockerel, I still dont like them, but Good Day Today is a grower.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:19 AM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

i respect your opinion, but i must ask, where can i hear 'loads of birds'?
Old 05-18-2010, 03:36 AM
Yannick
Mew Mew

this isn't underworld.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:37 AM
jose m
pants

i wasn't joking...it isn't underworld.
don't let that stop you liking it....each to his own.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:05 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
I dont care who this is, if its Underworld or not. I like it.
Well, my statement stands.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:25 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

so was that dj bloke just showing off, or did someone lead him up the garden path and around the block a bit?
Old 05-18-2010, 04:33 AM
Dirty Canuck
American Style..Haunts Me

I agree with Stimpee. Google still has no info of another artist listed for this track other than Underworld.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:18 AM
jose m
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
Well, my statement stands.
fair enough
Old 05-18-2010, 07:18 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by //\/\/ View Post
so was that dj bloke just showing off, or did someone lead him up the garden path and around the block a bit?
Im sure someone from/close to Underworld is gonna get on the phone to KRCW and/or Chrysalis ASAP and ask where this came from.

As much as we want this tune to be from Underworld, its not. However, I wouldnt let that affect your enjoyment of the tune, and I'm intrigued to find out a) just who this is and b) how they managed to pull the wool over the eyes of the radio station.