Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:14 AM
absolute zero
river

Has anyone ever seen DJ Shadow live?
Has anyone ever seen DJ Shadow live? Is his show worth going to? Is it a reproduction of his recorded works, and basically the audience staring at a guy on a laptop for 2 hours?
Old 10-06-2010, 12:05 PM
darktrain
powered by robuts

Re: Has anyone ever seen DJ Shadow live?
Depends on the tour.
I've seen him w/Cut Chemist 3 times. One was the famous Brainfreeze set, twice on the Hard Sell tour. That was just spinning records, though still thoroughly entertaining if you're into that.
The solo show I saw was for The Outsider tour and really was more. Besides having an MC for several tracks, the songs were very much tweaked and blended to standout from the album versions.
The new tour is showcasing a new stage setup and new songs, so I'm guessing it'll be worth your while. I'm certainly going!
Check it:
Old 10-07-2010, 01:27 AM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolute zero View Post
Has anyone ever seen DJ Shadow live? Is his show worth going to? Is it a reproduction of his recorded works, and basically the audience staring at a guy on a laptop for 2 hours?
Just yesterday, listening to The Private Press, I was wondering whether the tracks would contain all those tiny bits and pieces in a live show. Some coincidences...

Sadly, the recent tour only has North America dates. Did/does he tour Europe as well?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:20 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

I saw him as a part of the Quannum Spectrum... oh wait - I think it was called Soulsides -> I forget which name came first (it was all the same people)

so it wasn't a proper Shadow show... he was with like 4 other dj's, but he did have one of the first prototype versions of a "dvd turntable" which ...was "neat" but not much more than that

anyways - I'm off topic...

He's definitely worth catching. Even if it's without vocalists - like on the Private Press Live album/dj. He uses multiple turntables, samplers, computers, cd's etc etc etc and reconstructs his tracks

Apparently, he did just recently tour the EU, and played out a few new songs that he's still working on.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 AM
fraser
life kid

Send a message via AIM to fraser Send a message via Yahoo to fraser
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolute zero View Post
You simply MUST see DJ Shadow live! I was lucky to catch him in London this year, just after UNKLE - quality lineup :-)

First time I saw him it was an hour or so of him playing records and standing behind his decks, but he shuffles so many records that it's still surprisingly entertaining. More recently though he's gone for a full on multimedia experience and he plays inside a giant sphere, onto which a variety of images and movies are projected. It's a great show and I thoroughly recommend it.

Check YouTube for videos of his performance in Hyde Park this year at the Wireless festival, I'm sure there will be a few clips.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:33 AM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post
Apparently, he did just recently tour the EU, and played out a few new songs that he's still working on.
Gnmpfhrg. Thanks for the info, will keep my eyes peeled for another EU tour.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:05 PM
grady
fac321

Just go see him live.

The first time I saw him live was on the tour in support of The Outsider in 07 I think. The mix of him working the decks and video cued to the music was really quite stunning and seemed to have been increased significantly since the tour for The Private Press when the In Tune and On Time DVD was made.

The second time I saw Shadow was with Cut Chemist for the Hard Sell Tour in 08. That was another great show with a heavy emphasis on video integration into the live show with camera fixed around the decks for each of them.

I would really like to see Shadow again, but the date he's going to be in Portland this month I'm going to be in NYC seeing underworld. Go figure.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:18 AM
Tiger
Freaknik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post
I saw him as a part of the Quannum Spectrum... oh wait - I think it was called Soulsides -> I forget which name came first (it was all the same people)

so it wasn't a proper Shadow show... he was with like 4 other dj's, but he did have one of the first prototype versions of a "dvd turntable" which ...was "neat" but not much more than that

anyways - I'm off topic...

He's definitely worth catching. Even if it's without vocalists - like on the Private Press Live album/dj. He uses multiple turntables, samplers, computers, cd's etc etc etc and reconstructs his tracks

i saw the same solesides tour probably around 2000 if memory serves me correctly. dhadow, cut chemist, chief excel djing along with gift of gab, lyrics born etc on the mic. fantastic gig, infact probably the only hip hop gig i've been to which lived up to the standard they'd put out on wax
You take the piss again and i'll remove your iPod from its tiny nano-sheath and push it up your cock. Then i'll put some speakers up your arse and put it on shuffle every time i hear something i don't like - which will be every time that something comes on - i will skip to the next track by crushing your balls.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:14 PM
absolute zero
river

Alright I'll bite. i'm gonna see him at Irving Plaza. I hope it'll be $43 well spent!
Old 10-23-2010, 10:38 PM
djeddy
chacabon! macaron!

that's sad.

i remember seeing him about 12 years ago for something like 10 bucks