Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2010, 05:31 AM
whatmakesustick

"last Underworld only shows...for a really long time"
Okay I'm worried....as mentioned in the underworldlive.com thread there have been odd concerning reference to 'the last we will pass through here for a while' on the diary and this article confirms it. I was going to put it in the articles thread but it might be deserving of its own thread!

Seems like next year they will be visiting as many festivals as possible before taking a break from touring for a while - and I get the feeling that's not a break so that they can write the next record...

"So, this is it. These shows now in the UK are the last Underworld only shows that we're planning to do for a really long time. It's going to be really interesting, no sadness, but a lot of joy. We'll be playing to our own crowd, because next year it's going to be full on festivals. Then at the end of next year we've got a lot of plans. The things that we haven't been able to do for the last 20 years, that we'd like to spend some time focusing on."

http://www.egigs.co.uk/index.php?a=13679

Last edited by whatmakesustick; 11-22-2010 at 05:32 AM. Reason: forgot the link!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:07 AM
mel
river

Re: "last Underworld only shows...for a really long time"
im worried about this too cos i didnt get into their gig on saturday and this quote seems really ominous
Old 11-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Geo
always loved a film

This whole quote doesn't make me worry at all.

Do you really derive from this quote that they'll stop touring or stop making music?

They'll still play at festivals, plus they seem to have a lot more projects to work on
Old 11-22-2010, 06:30 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

It makes certain that i'll need to book a cross-Atlantic flight to see their next tour :P
Old 11-22-2010, 07:06 AM
whatmakesustick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Do you really derive from this quote that they'll stop touring or stop making music?
No, not exactly. I think there is a lot more music to come one way or another. As for the touring, it worries me because in answer to the question, Karl said a 'really long time' 3 times as if to make the point and others have also noted the tone in some of the diary entries. Also, the quote about 'things that we haven't been able to do for the last 20 years' got me thinking - they have been touring and making music for the last 20 years so to me it implies that they will be doing something different.

My guess is more Luminous, Exhibitions, Bungalow, Amient/downtempo one-off shows, etc (all of which I find very interesting by the way!).

But thats just my opinion.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:07 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

hmm...

yea - maybe like - they mean "Underworld - only" in the sense of like... maybe they'll make music with other people, as a group.

kinda like "Breaking & Entering" or what Brian Eno & U2 did with "Passengers" (which might just be U2's best album)
Old 11-22-2010, 08:54 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
well, shi* just a few shows in the US, and i missed them this time. Sweet memories of 2007 NYC.

But hey, it must be a hard life touring, and none of us are getting any younger. So cheers to UW for their tour to date. Hope to see you soon with a new setlist or new material. In the meantime, thanks for the spectacle and the banging new tunes!
Old 11-23-2010, 12:55 AM
hypeless
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
It makes certain that i'll need to book a cross-Atlantic flight to see their next tour :P
or the pacific - they seem to love japan...
Old 11-23-2010, 04:04 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

There just touring at my house.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:45 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Well, firstly, think back to 2002. That was the end of the Underworld-only tour. In 2003 they played only festivals, and after V-Festival in August 2003, they only played Electraglide in Japan in November. Afte that Underworld didnt play anywhere in 2004, and only came out of hiding in the summer of 2005, and even then it was festivals only. They didnt play any of their own gigs until November 2005. Thats a full 3 years without Underworld-only gigs. For UK fans, they didnt play an Underworld-only gig until October 2007 which is almost 5 years after the last.

Do you consider that to be a long time? Did you realise that this occurred? It happens. And besides, I hope the rumours are true about involvement in the Olympics or who knows, some other big project. There could be soundtracks and exhibition work, and there will be festival gigs I'm sure.

We have to be thankful that they tour almost every year at all. We have the opportunity to see our favourite band every year. Some bands just go into hiding and dont release material for a very very long time, or split up. Fingers crossed theyre not going to do that, but I think the band deserve a rest as I'm sure its very stressful and tiring. Think back, to Greece in 2007 when Rick was attacked and the gig was cancelled, or in late 2007 when he got pneumonia and a whole half of tour was cancelled, the chaos at the HARDsummer gig in LA in 2009, and the cancelled We Love Sounds down under. I'm not surprised, but of course I'm disappointed (as a music fan). I hope they get rested, write some great new material and get to work on some exciting projects and come back stronger than ever.