Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.

Old 07-30-2005, 07:14 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Global Gathering Review
well...nice gig as usual....

after entering Global Gathering through concentration camp style over zealous searching policy (50 minutes queue to get in)...police with sniffer dogs (and apparently x-ray machines at the camping section)...searcing for drugs i think...i managed to see Underworld on time at 9:30...

I met up with Rog & his wife, & sister in law...we worked our way right to the front of the beach stage...which literally had sand down on the floor for people to stand and dance on....good job it didn't rain...would have been messy

as far as i can recall this is what was played...but the order may be slightly different (memory is hazy)

1. new track...
2. dark train
3. pearl's girl
new track - one with both darren price and rick singing (or 'moaning')
king of snake
bornslippy nuxx / 2003 version
new track -the 'visions' track
two months off
jumbo

(no encore - played 9:30 to 11 - dead)

now i can't remember but i think they also played 'push upstairs'...and i'm a bit blurry on the playing order...but highlights were the green laser on 'king of snake'

was chuckling when Darren and Rick were singing or 'moaning' one one new track/improv's which i think will probably be on the album ....as will i think the visions track and the first one which was kinda dubby dark and longy...in a little way...which was 'typical underworld style'...the mic was pretty quiet on a lot of tracks so it was hard to work out how this one went lyrically...Karl was using a book to read the lyrics from - assume its a very brand new track...

also the visions track / drum and bass style track...this sounds much better being there than on a recording...

Karl had this great little hand held camera too that he shone in his face on one track and then showed the crowd - this was projected onto the back screen so we could see ourselves...!!! This little camera was also above Rick & Darrens mixing desk, so we could see some of the time what they were actually doing, which was amazing...!

half way through the gig Ally, his girlfriend and brother found us...nice to meet them, at last too...shame we didn't meet up with anyone else...the meet sorta didn't take place as people were all over the place getting past the nazi security...

Karl was his energetic self towards the end, but he did spend alot his time near the mixing desk overseeing things...

Rick was in a white shirt, jeans & black jacket - smoking loads...darren also looking cool in his silver headphones and bigging up the frontman Karl, in a black 'new romatic style' shirt, black jeans and trainers (no T-Shirt shock!)

the crowd was rocking all the way through...even with the 'unheard' new tracks which they were unfamilar with ...it was one of those nights...a good jumping crowd - really appreciative...shame they couldn't go on longer

Underworld were on form as usual, good vibes... still needs some polishing of the new stuff - and equiptment might have let them down (mics) epsecially on Two Months off, but the crowd pleasing slippy & jumbo and KOS...were awesome....nice to hear Jumbo at the end...

the only real disappointment for me was today when i went to get my 'right down the front' photos back from the shop...the whole roll of film i shot of Karl really close up did not come out - every single photo was blank and my film ruined... (sorry Rog - no photos at all...i almost cried)

i have one photo of Karl on another roll but this is in bad condition also...as it was the 25th picture on a 24 roll so is half a Karl...i'm considering finding out who the 'official photgraphers were and asking for their photos....i might write to mixmag or DJ - who i assume have official photographers there....

i still can't belive it...

its just a good job that Underworld were amazing...(as usual) and i have the meories and good vibes...i'm sure Karl spotted me down the front in my Black cap & blue 'Zippy' ("Zip It") tee-shirt, going mad next to Rog's wife

we were the ones waving like nutters
Old 07-30-2005, 08:04 AM
irishboy
whiplash willy

Re: Global Gathering Review
good stuff - thanks for the review bss, glad to hear all went well. did the tracks 'flow' or were they stop/start??
Old 07-30-2005, 08:14 AM
lloyd
bungalow

Good to read you had a great time Matt pitty the pictures didn't come out well.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:39 AM
Mac Haggis
river

Anyone who had anything to do with the sound levels last night should be sacked in my opinion! The synths in Dark Train were to quiet to the point where I only knew they were being played when Karl raised his arms. And what was going on during Two Months Off?!! Seriously, the sound was terrible but then again, I went into other arenas and thought the same thing.

The set was good although as it was a festival and not their own actual gig I was pretty amazed how much new stuff was fitted in. The new Visions song was probably one of the highlights with the camera on the mic.

I agree with the comments about the concentration camp style over zealous searching policy. About 7:30, the police along with their dogs disapeared which just seemed to cause mayhem. We just ran through without showing our tickets or being searched!

Overall I thought Underworld were as good as the sound engineers let them be unfortunatly. It was also obvious that boys were still experimenting to which I fully appriciated a completly different kind gig from the last tour. I think when they do their own gigs, playing for longer, we will have some pretty amazing nights to remember.

With regards to the actual festival itself? I won't be going back next year even if Underworld were headlining again.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:46 AM
stimpee
Administrator

The nazi security at the HMH in amsterdam in 2002 was the reason i missed the meetup then. took me 1.5hrs to get in and i got to the stage 5 mins before UW came on. security these days is getting ridiculous.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:58 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

then again, it was much better this time around in the HMH. We went in quickly and without a hitch. So apparently (if it's not just coinscidence) they do learn from their mistakes.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:01 PM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishboy
good stuff - thanks for the review bss, glad to hear all went well. did the tracks 'flow' or were they stop/start??

they flowed about three tracks, stopped (rewound their tapes) and started again...it was sorta three then stop, three then stop

hardly...any 'chat'...just some whoops and shouting...
Old 07-31-2005, 09:56 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

I got to see UW technically twice, when we were standing to get in, we were waiting behind the beach stage and we could hear UW sound checking, it was some kind of piano melody with some nice beat behind it, i know it was UW as they dropped a tiny sample of something from Exit festival. Also saw Karl, but he was chatting on his phone!

Set as i have it:

New Song - Sounds like something played off dirtyradio taster of new stuff
Dark Train
New Song - Vocodder effect on it
Pearls Girl/ New Song with singing from Rick and Darren/Pearls Girl
King Of Snake
You Do Scribble - [Drum and Bass song]
Two Months Off
Born Slippy.NUXX 96/03/96
Jumbo

Second time i have seen them now and it was miles better then the t in the park appearance, the songs all nicely flowed and mixed in to each other.

I was worried that the sound was gonna be crap as the rest of the stage did have bad problems, but nothing went wrong at all. No visuals, but it was cool seeing Karl with the camera and shots of Rick doing his stuff during Pearls girl.

Glad they came out at 9.30 sharp, Rick was on first and had a massive smile on his face, then came out Karl and Darren to more clapping.

I was really surprised that Dark Train was played and not the usual bog standered tracks that they usually play at major festivals, same goes for the new stuff, it got a really good reaction so they must be doing something right somewhere. Shame of not Rez/Cowgirl but Dark Train made up for it.

I do have a 4 minute video of Dark Train which i'll try and blue tooth on to my PC before i go on holiday, though i dont know how to host it etc. The sound is ok, but dont get your hopes up
Old 08-01-2005, 04:30 AM
suicidalpenguin
Dubnobassinmyshed

bloody hell,

Had to que for 3 and half hours to get in.
3 hors in first que into campsite,
then for half an hour in second que.
Was screwing at end as only made it in 10 minutes before the underworld set.

Was definately worth the wait.

Set was good - longer than i thought it would be, although suprised it was so early.
Some of the new tracks sounded ace though - played more new tracks than expected which was welcome suprise, and the mixing between some tracks was a welcome change.

Was possibly best version of born slippy have yet heard!

Bring on the album!!!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 07:02 AM
Rog
the fuckest upest

I enjoyed the set immensely although the sound was shite in parts. I agree with Mac haggis that i won't be going back next year. Not only were the queues outragously long, the over-zealous nazi style police (riot gear job complete with lates gloves! ) were outright intimidating trying to eyeball people all the time. At other festivals i've been to the cops have had a sense of humour but not these. The beer was overpriced too (£3.50 for a can of Kronenberg) and so was the water....but i suppose that's what we expect nowadays......blatent profiteering. Enjoyed the festival overall though, enjoyed meeting Matt and Ally and i tried to phone Dirty0900 but the phone networks were bloody busy virtually all the time.....even texts weren't getting through.

Also saw some of Oakies set, some of Sasha's set (which was great!) and saw most of Kosheen and the Happy Mondays. Other's seen were James Zabiela, Mylo (half hour on the radio one beach stage), Pete Tong and Too many DJ's. I really enjoyed the Monday's We saw Shaun Ryder at the signing tent earlier in the evening and he was well hammered then! But he put a good performance and the rest of the band and the backing vocalists were very good (even Bez was on form )